U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 12:25 PM

12,639 posts, read 7,316,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But the issue applies more broadly than one mayoral race in Omaha, Nebraska. As I pointed out last week, there is some evidence, based on data from the 2016 election, that Hillaryís loss was the result of Obama voters who abandoned her to vote for Trump. If accurate, that means Hillary didnít lose because she failed to turn out her base, but because she failed to persuade swing voters.

Itís easy to see how a debate over abortion becomes a choice between those who are willing to embrace pragmatic persuasion and those who demand party purity. In the case of Heath Mello, the party chose the latter and lost. Democrats may need to embrace persuasion again if they want to come back from their current low point, but at the moment pragmatism still isnít very popular.

Link: Democrat Heath Mello loses Omaha mayoral race after abortion controversy - Hot Air Hot Air

The extremist pro-abortion ghouls cost the Democrats yet another election by demanding party purity on this issue.

There is no such thing as a "moderate Democrat" any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 12:48 PM

23,298 posts, read 11,541,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Link: Democrat Heath Mello loses Omaha mayoral race after abortion controversy - Hot Air Hot Air

The extremist pro-abortion ghouls cost the Democrats yet another election by demanding party purity on this issue.

Wasnt Mello pro life, so how exactly did he lose for the reason you are claiming unless you are claiming Democrats stayed him and didnt support him ????

Old 05-10-2017, 12:57 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,514,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Wasnt Mello pro choice, so how exactly did he lose for the reason you are claiming unless you are claiming Democrats stayed him and didnt support him ????
Helps to read the article:

Mello, who has been a state representative since 2009 is Catholic and had supported some pro-life measures in the past. For many on the left that was a deal-breaker, even though Mello promised to maintain support for abortion rights as mayor.

Abortion has been a hot topic after Tom Perez demanded ideological purity over the issue. The problem for the Democrat party is that about 40% of its constituents are pro-life, and even most pro-choice citizens want nuance on the issue. Abortion is legal because of a Supreme Court decision, and the only relevant legislation passsed on the matter in my lifetime were the Republican Lacy's law, and ban on barbaric partial birth abortion, so it really has been the Republicans who have been usefully progressive on this issue.

Good luck sticking with the party of ghouls, facsists, thugs, snowflakes, crybabies, and tinfoil hats, though. You are all making it easy on Donald John Trump.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Helps to read the article:

Mello, who has been a state representative since 2009 is Catholic and had supported some pro-life measures in the past. For many on the left that was a deal-breaker, even though Mello promised to maintain support for abortion rights as mayor.

and even most pro-choice citizens want nuance on the issue. Abortion is legal because of a Supreme Court decision, and the only relevant legislation passsed on the matter in my lifetime were the Republican Lacy's law, and ban on barbaric partial birth abortion, so it really has been the Republicans who have been usefully progressive on this issue.

Good luck sticking with the party of ghouls, facsists, thugs, snowflakes, crybabies, and tinfoil hats, though. You are all making it easy on Donald John Trump.
I typed pro choice by mistake, already corrected.

But yes I read the article which is why the OP's comment doesnt make sense. It only mentions Pro choice vs pro life

And since Mellow was pro life, why did the OP say their were no moderate Democrats.

If pro choice vs Pro life is the only criteria mentioned, and the subject of the article is pro life, then the OP's argument makes no sense.

Quote:
Abortion has been a hot topic after Tom Perez demanded ideological purity over the issue. The problem for the Democrat party is that about 40% of its constituents are pro-life,
No, they arent. 80% of the country is pro choice, the only way you get of 40% of the Democratic party being pro life is if somehow every pro life person was a Democrat, and that just isnt true.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:23 PM

11,992 posts, read 5,122,573 times
Quote:

But yes I read the article which is why the OP's comment doesnt make sense. It only mentions Pro choice vs pro life

And since Mellow was pro life, why did the OP say their were no moderate Democrats.

If pro choice vs Pro life is the only criteria mentioned, and the subject of the article is pro life, then the OP's argument makes no sense.

No, they arent. 80% of the country is pro choice, the only way you get of 40% of the Democratic party being pro life is if somehow every pro life person was a Democrat, and that just isnt true.
What liberal extremist media outlet did you get that 80% from?

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guyben...ances-n1806283

More Americans

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...or-pro-choice/

Old 05-10-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Click on your Gallup poll link and actually read it.

illegal in all circumstance only has 23% support.

That means 77% of people are pro choice in one way or another

Pro life = absolute, no exceptions = 23% of the population.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:49 PM

2,523 posts, read 829,333 times
Quote:

It seems what he means is that moderate Democrats aren't electable. I'm not sure moderate Republicans are, either. It's crazy how polarized the parties are.

As for abortion, I've stated here many times that I'm fairly conservative and would never consider abortion, yet I'm pro-choice. The pro-choice movement is losing some of us, though, with the push for third term abortion. I find the idea of abortion when the baby is capable of life outside the womb one of the most repellent ideas I've ever heard. In most circumstances, I'd like to see it limited to the first trimester. I don't see why a woman can't make the decision in the first three months. Why would anyone wait until the fetus has pain receptors and a working nervous system?

Old 05-10-2017, 01:59 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,816,679 times
The national media swooping in and suggesting that the abortion issue was a deal breaker in our mayoral is pretty weak. He had plenty of other issues to deal with on the local level that cost him IMO.

Honestly I don't recall abortion being brought up in any of the debates or in campaign material. I think it was just some headline that people decided to run with to fit their rhetoric about the party nationwide.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:04 PM

8,085 posts, read 4,421,113 times
Those purity tests will get you every time. To insist that every position be hard and fast, that all purity boxes must be checked is a no go in a world as complex and diverse as the 21st Century. For either party.

The progressives of the Dem party are coming up craps in their attempts to make every race a test for 2018.

Seems every race is an early indicator for 2018. LOL. Meanwhile conservative judges, who have lifetime appointments are being nominated and confirmed.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:22 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,421,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post

Good. I get happier every time they lose and am also sick of winning.

Life is bittersweet that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or