Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:39 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,943,637 times

Advertisements

Oh, I get it. Like when the Obama people at my precinct convention screamed and yelled and called us racists because we asked for proof of voter registration so we let them sign in to keep the peace and let the state convention sort it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Oh but he is about to.

Just another politico in disquise. Give it a year. All those marching and chanting in favor of Obama will be cursing and waving their fists in anger at him. Then they will ask why he lied to them. Then they will go out and vote for the next liar and ask why again....and again.....and again......and again...............
LOL, yep, that's the way it goes!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:47 PM

163 posts, read 907,146 times
I think young prefer Obama to Hillary, because they are looking at Hillary in the present tense, based on their experience. Otherwise saying, they were too young to remember "the Clinton years", so they base their judgment of her entirely on present day Hillary, and they don't associate her with her husbands presidency. And when you look at what Hillary has to offer, and how she conducts herself, and how she runs her campaign...it's a big turn off. Young people don't see her as being presidential material. She doesn't inspire them the way Obama does.

Older people look at Hillary based on their experience, which is remembering how good things were during the years Clinton was in office. They thought Bill was a great president, and so they assume Hillary will be the same. Older people are skeptical of Obama, because they're old enough to have voted in numerous elections, and every 4 years, they're used to seeing some guy tell them about all the great things he'll do when's he president...but none of them ever deliver. So they think Obama is just another politician blowing smoke.

Ironically, I was about 17 when Clinton was elected, and I remember his campaign being very similar to Obama's, in how he really reached out and inspired the younger generation.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:58 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,884,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post

Ironically, I was about 17 when Clinton was elected, and I remember his campaign being very similar to Obama's, in how he really reached out and inspired the younger generation.
Yes.
I was a heck of a lot older than 17 when Clinton was elected, but I do remember what you're talking about.
And back then people questioned Clinton's experience, too.

"Here's a quote," Obama said with a smile. "'The same old experience is irrelevant. You can have the right kind of experience or the wrong kind of experience. And mine is rooted in the real lives of real people, and it will bring real results if we have the courage to change.'"

"And that was Bill Clinton in 1992."

link

Old 03-10-2008, 07:09 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,366,615 times
Lightbulb Why do young people like Obama?

Many young voters have grown up knowing no president who wasn't a Bush or a Clinton. They've seen and heard the decay of our country under the collective "leadership" of these two families. They recognize that Hillary voted to send their brothers, sisters, and friends to Iraq. And that she did so with a cavalier disregard of the national intelligence estimate. They know John McCain has declared himself to be nothing more than an extension of the Bush policies they detest.

Obama is their rational choice.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:14 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,257,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Oh, I get it. Like when the Obama people at my precinct convention screamed and yelled and called us racists because we asked for proof of voter registration so we let them sign in to keep the peace and let the state convention sort it out.
I'm sorry that your anecdotal evidence isn't consistent with the wider reality. You don't judge an entire candidacy through an alleged event at a caucus.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,300,929 times
I fully support Obama, and I am retired, female, and white. I am also college educated. I don't support him because he is black or because he is young. I support him because I think he is the right man for the job. McClain is into war, Hillary is into her own combat, and Obama remains calm. He is a very intelligent man as well, and I like what he has to say.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:41 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,059,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I fully support Obama, and I am retired, female, and white. I am also college educated. I don't support him because he is black or because he is young. I support him because I think he is the right man for the job. McClain is into war, Hillary is into her own combat, and Obama remains calm. He is a very intelligent man as well, and I like what he has to say.
Me too. I am a college educated white woman who works as a civilian for the Navy and I am heartened to see so many of the Navy members moving to Obama. Young people who tend to skip voting because it is difficult to get their absentee ballots for their homestates were preparing early to vote for Obama. Of course a larger number f military will vote for McCain, but to see so many voting for Obama was amazing. I am ready for a Leader first who can hire experts to produce policy rather than try to be a jack of all trades.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:15 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,391,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Seems that most of Obama's supporters are either young or black. It is obvious why one group supports Obama... I would too. But do young people support Obama just because he is young... that is my guess since I have not seen anything exceptional about Obama that would indicate that he would make a good president. He just talks pretty, dresses snappy and knows how to dance. I have not heard him talk about anything of substance yet nor does he have much experience. So what is it exactly that makes him the best candidate for president? Another thing... maybe alot of folks just can't handle a woman president.
I am young and I don't support him. In fact I find him very annoying.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I'm sorry that your anecdotal evidence isn't consistent with the wider reality. You don't judge an entire candidacy through an alleged event at a caucus.
Well, you have to realize that many people, myself included, think this "Culture Wars" thing is silly. Your attempt to put together a string of words that sound good but have little basis in most people's reality is indicative of a pompous attempt to legitimize voting for someone because he's considered "hip." (I Googled your exact phraseology to see if it was some actual political phenomenon they're teaching in Austin these days but came up empty.)

"Post Culture Wars..." ROFL!
What Culture Wars? - WSJ.com

The longer you live, the more you see that people have preferences, biases, and backgrounds that they live by and it's not a phenomenon unless journalists and politicos work hard to make it into one. It's easier to "manage" people that way.

I need to add that the younger person who told those of us over 35 to "go retire to Florida" and give up power is a lot more honest of a reaction than trying to invent a political movement/box to make a phenomenon out of a normal stage of psycho-social development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections