Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 09:36 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The train has left the station over whether it's a good idea to have a President with no government experience. We all know the answer to that.

But unless we want to stand by and watch the rule of law go down the tubes, Democrats need to run someone who can win and who can pull the down ballot Democrats along to tip the scales in Congress.

What Democrat with government experience can beat the Republican machine and their Russian troll farms?

Anyone come to mind?
I think we'll have to wait and see until the primaries. It might be better to go into the primary season without a media frontrunner the way we did in 2016. 2016 didn't really feel like an open and competitive primary process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 09:37 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
There are any number of democrats in governorships, representatives and senators who would make competent presidents. John Hickenlooper, for example, is sometimes mentioned.
Any chance John Hichenlooper could win?

Old 01-08-2018, 09:38 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You are aware that Oprah has made no secret of her efforts to address her weight issues, aren't you? Unlike someone else I could name...
Then it shows lack of will power, and character on her part. If she is so smart, and powerful, you'd think she could stop herself from eating too much. It's called personal discipline.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:38 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Guessing you're mixing the US up with Iran
You are so funny. The power structure between genders is world-wide and differs between cultures. I shouldn't have to explain this to anyone over the age of ten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
And people criticize, and poke fun at Trump for being fat. But it's OK Oprah is a fat ***.

For the record, I don't care, but the double standard is obvious.
That's all you've got against an Oprah run for president? I wasn't looking forward to the 2020 elections but this could be fun.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:39 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Any chance John Hichenlooper could win?
Have no idea.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:39 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Only Democrats would think that Oprah is qualified to run this country.
Only Republicans want someone like Oprah to run. I haven't heard of one Democrat who wants Oprah to run, not one. But I have heard of numerous Republicans who want her to run.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
What became of the current thread about Oprah's potential candidacy? This thread started last June - the newer, now apparently vanished thread, began as a result of Oprah's speech at last night's Golden Globes awards show. While posters there were largely pro-Oprah, it contained some very thoughtful points and should still be around for those wanting to discuss pros and cons rather than cast politically based aspersions on any party or individual.

What's up, mods??
This is what I HATE about the way these mods operate. The recent news is Current Events. Why in all things holy is it masked by a thread created in 2017. We are in 2018 the parent thread should have been archived.

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
At this point a doorstop could run against Trump and probably muster folks to the polls.

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
No. I said that this country should have standards of at least a high school diploma and perhaps a record of gainful employment to VOTE.

That's what I said.
No, you did not make it clear that you were talking about voting instead of running. I took it as the latter.

You just said standards and did not specify and I talked about both voting and running in my post (that you were resonding to).

It doesn't matter now, because you've made your intentions clearer.

And for the record I thnk those voting standards would be a very bad idea.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:41 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Donald Trump's election has shown anyone, I MEAN ANYONE, can be elected President.

At any rate, by the time Trump's administration has run its course, the electorate will want someone who is nothing like Trump. The Anti-Trump. That is who will win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections