U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 10:04 AM

10,532 posts, read 8,455,844 times

Advertisements

My bet is that if Oprah was elected, her presidency would resemble that of Jimmy Carter. Well-intentioned, unpretentious, honest, ethical - but not very effective, especially in international affairs.

But her finger would not be on that button, nor would she taunt Kim Jung Un, or offend our foreign allies, or conduct her self unbecomingly to the role of president. So - a uuuge improvement over the current resident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 10:04 AM

26,895 posts, read 19,121,173 times
weight watchers stock fattening on oprah news..

https://finance.google.com/finance?q...KYa72AaihL6YBw

Old 01-08-2018, 10:05 AM

19,897 posts, read 18,907,505 times
To me, Oprah is a tv star, not presidential material. She has done good work in her private life, she has helped a lot of people. That's good but it has nothing to do with politics. She might be more qualified than Trump, but we need new blood and someone who has a broad understanding of our country and what it needs, someone who is middle of the road and not divisive. Of course Oprah wouldn't run for president--was that some kind of a joke, lol.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:05 AM

18,001 posts, read 8,940,892 times
I don't think Oprah could handle the criticism, and adversity she would get in a Presidential campaign. She has gotten so used to being complimented, honored, and flattered constantly for decades. Yes, she is a tough woman in a lot of ways, but there are enough emotional chinks in her armor that it could be an issue. Her ego may be even bigger than Trump's which is hard to do!

Old 01-08-2018, 10:06 AM

29,546 posts, read 15,493,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Oh, please, ever hear of Stedman, Oprah's very long-term boyfriend? If Oprah runs, there might be a quick and quiet wedding, so he could officially be First Laddy, but to deliberately imply that Oprah is lesbian is an intended slander which in no way reflects the facts. Gail King and Oprah are bffs, nothing more.
Yes, I heard she had a beard.

Why is being a lesbian an insult?

When conservative radio host, and lesbian, Tammy Bruce was on in Houston, it didnít stop people from listening to her. I have no issues voting for a homosexual person.

Now, I donít know if Oprah is lesbian or not, but rumor has it.....

Old 01-08-2018, 10:07 AM

38,316 posts, read 14,982,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
It wouldnt be a good situation if she's another puppet of Wall Street and big pharma though. There is nothing in her background that suggest she would be pushing hard to jail Wall Street crooks and fight for a national health care system and much stronger labor rights.
Hard to say whether she'll turn out to be a Wall Street puppet or will be pushing to jail Wall Street crooks.

Have no idea if she'll fight for a national health care system or stronger labor rights.

But Democrats won't win on a do-gooder platform. They tried that and it didn't work.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:09 AM

29,546 posts, read 15,493,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
My bet is that if Oprah was elected, her presidency would resemble that of Jimmy Carter. Well-intentioned, unpretentious, honest, ethical - but not very effective, especially in international affairs.

But her finger would not be on that button, nor would she taunt Kim Jung Un, or offend our foreign allies, or conduct her self unbecomingly to the role of president. So - a uuuge improvement over the current resident.
Itís one of those things where we really wouldnít know unless it happened.

She might be great. She might be terrible. She might be ok like Trump.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:10 AM
Noc

1,439 posts, read 1,807,565 times
Her Presidency would also be heavily influenced by her cabinet picks. I have no idea what that make up would be like.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:11 AM

3,531 posts, read 1,782,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
But back to Oprah.

If she decides to run, what are her chances of getting elected?
Her team would have to do extensive research into states Trump narrowly won and determine how/if she could flip it.
The black turnout would be high in the south but idk if she could get the blue wall back. Unions weren't too keen on Clinton and she would have actually made some shady deals to protect them. Does Oprah have any juice there? I'm not sure.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:15 AM
Status: "You are only coming through in waves." (set 2 days ago)

8,115 posts, read 3,180,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
That gender war started the day Trump was elected. That a pus*y grabber could rise to the top like he did sparked a fire that started the whole 'me too' movement and women are still fired up to work hard change the status quo regarding the gender power structure in the USA. But your point is well taken: f she ran and didn't win the gender war would be taken to unpredictable levels.
Bragging about consensual acts that probably never happened to begin with started a gender war?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or