Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 10:27 AM

5,233 posts, read 6,159,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Her team would have to do extensive research into states Trump narrowly won and determine how/if she could flip it.
The black turnout would be high in the south but idk if she could get the blue wall back. Unions weren't too keen on Clinton and she would have actually made some shady deals to protect them. Does Oprah have any juice there? I'm not sure.
Those are decent points. I think if she spiked AA turnout in Philly, Milwaukee and Detroit that would be enough to win back Pa, WI and MI. Trumps margin in Florida was also pretty slim but I do not think it was slim enough for higher AA turnout on its own to flip.

I also think we need to see Clinton and Trump as complete aberrations. Trump won by holding onto R voters while pulling in anti-trade folks and anti-status quo voters. That is not a typical alliance. And he garnered a lower voting percentage than any successful candidate previously had in a two way race. Clinton had sky high unfavorable and enough baggage to fill the belly of Air Force One- and she still won the popular vote. I do not see any other combo replicating those feats.

One thing Oprah does well is create a narrative, stay on point and adjust mid interview. In that realm she would probably be a decent campaigner. Still doesn't mean she will run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 10:29 AM

33,511 posts, read 18,013,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Everyone in the audience gets a brand new Toyota!

I might even vote for her.
Oprah didn't give the cars. They were given by the manufacturer. Oprah loved to pretend she gave them.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:29 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,467,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Oprah puts her blackness first. Her own words show this, After many white women supported her and her show , made her a billionaire, she has decided to put her skin color as the most important thing to advance. Not women, not Americans , only black people.
I wasn’t aware of this;however, I know very little about her other than her BFF is with her 24/7 and her dogs has a human bed on her private jet.

Any examples of her being ‘Black first”?

Old 01-08-2018, 10:31 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,819,746 times
Quote:
Oprah didn't give the cars. They were given by the manufacturer. Oprah loved to pretend she gave them.
But Oprah certainly facilitated the car donations. Unlikely they would have occurred without her.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:35 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,819,746 times
The title of this thread (begun in June, 2017) no longer describes the current situation - mods, can it be changed to "Will Oprah run for president in 2020", or something similar? Thanks.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 01-08-2018 at 11:49 AM..

Old 01-08-2018, 10:36 AM

33,511 posts, read 18,013,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I wasn’t aware of this;however, I know very little about her other than her BFF is with her 24/7 and her dogs has a human bed on her private jet.

Any examples of her being ‘Black first”?
Her recent speech at the golden globes, supporting Obama before a white woman. White women supported her career.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:41 AM

6,688 posts, read 3,305,799 times
Funny how the liberals scream about a billionaire business person TV personality being president but would support a billionaire business person TV personality.

34,134 posts, read 18,393,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Pot vs. kettle, then...are you implying that Donny Two-Scoops is not "smart and powerful" and has a "lack of will power and character" and "personal discipline"? Oprah is honest about her issues and has made efforts to deal with them, more than Trump seems to have ever done.

Bring on the bedtime cheeseburgers!
Obviously Trump doesn't obsess over his weight like Oprah has for decades. She has said it is the ONE THING she'd want to accomplish (losing weight). Donny's not obsessed with his weight. He never mentions it. The fact that Oprah doesn't even have enough will power to accomplish something SO important to her speaks volumes.

993 posts, read 761,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Democrat party has leadership problem. As in they don't have one.

So speculation abounds in who could fill hole left by Hillary. Schumer?, Waters?, Pocahontas?, Pelosi?, Lewis? Even Democrats know this would be disaster. So they think of Oprah.

But Oprah doesn't want to do it.

Oprah Winfrey says she will never run for President | Daily Mail Online
Look at the date of the article Waldo. A lot has happened since May. And it’s the Daily Mail.

Not saying she'd be the best candidate but running against Trump? Yeah, I vote for her. Oprah came from infinitely more challenging circumstances than Trump, is wealthier than Trump, has read more books than Trump, is more stable than Trump, and isn't under investigation by the Justice Department unlike Trump.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:42 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,467,835 times
Quote:
Her recent speech at the golden globes, supporting Obama before a white woman. White women supported her career.
She may have felt Obama was the better pick.

I’ll see if I can find that speech later and read it, because it doesn’t sound like that big of a deal at face value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections