Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 04:48 PM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1sWsn1Q8lk

It is not #metoo but this is on a different level!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 04:56 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,904,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1sWsn1Q8lk

It is not #metoo but this is on a different level!
I'm not sure this requires a new thread...you posted the exact same thing in the other thread.

I'll post my same response:

I don't really care for Oprah one way or the other, but that was clearly taken out of context. She is not saying old people just have to die.

You should always be skeptical of edited videos like this that just take a snippet.

She is obviously saying that this kind of racist thinking won't go away until some people that were brought up with that thinking die off.

I don't totally agree with that. For one: there are plenty of young racists...I have experienced it - I know, because I'm white and have been around some people "letting off steam" thinking I agree with their abhorent thoughts . And secondly, old people can be taught new ways - it is possible.

Either way, she didn't say what you are claiming she said.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:04 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,603,975 times
I have no idea where people are getting that Oprah is racist. Those people have never watched more than 30 seconds of her show, I'm guessing. She dated Roger Ebert back in the day and has promoted interracial relationships of all kinds. She's taken heat from the black American community for building her girls' school in Africa and not in an inner city black American area (she said when she asked the kids there what they want, they only talked of material things, but the girls in South Africa answered education). She promoted Australia, which gets heat for being 'racist' because they don't let every Tom, Dick, and Harry emigrate to their country. She's also declined her whole life to identity as either Republican or Democrat, has said she's voted for both. I guess it's damned if you do damned if you don't.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:10 PM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
Racist are not born racist but being brought up and raised as racist. Her remark that is found online is showing that she said this and maybe it was out of context (I didn't put the video on Youtube!) but she did say this!

As I have been a victim if you want to call it that, of anti-semitism as a child, I know that my parents always told us that it comes from how the parents talk at home. I agree with that statement.

That's doesn't mean I will say that people who say these things, have to die!

People grow up and make up their own minds. If they don't change their feelings or remarks that is just showing their ignorance and stupidness. Still I won't say they have to die for that.

We will always have people grow up being biased, racists, etc.

Only in a perfect world we will not have that. For someone to say anything close to this is even bizarre.

Even out of context she still says they have to die and she might have meant only if they die it will stop which is still stupid.

We have seen 8 years of Barack Obama and how racism grew in this Country. Mostly because of people like Obama's and Oprah who point the finger to racism at every corner they can use it!

Her speech at the Golden Globes was pathatic as right away she mentioned 6 white men who brutally attacked and perhaps raped a black girl. That is not soemthing for an acceptance speech. She could have said that back then thigns were different but she can't skip the moment to mention white men are bad and to mention a black person being the victim.

There are many victims in history of all colors.

Jews were gassed as many of my family members were. How many Jewish acceptance speeches at Award shows are about that part of History and talking about how bad Germans are? None!

It is ridiculous as Jewish people have been in slavery too!

Other religions have been victims too.

Keep blaming and not showing that you are a better person and it will never stop.

Oprah has such a privilaged life with award after award and she deserves most of them. Thats how equality works...people of all backgrounds able to make it big time!

Why isn't she focussed on letting young people know in her acceptance speech that if she can do it so can others...but no it has to be about the 6 white bad people!

Old 01-08-2018, 05:14 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,643,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Everyone in the audience gets a brand new Toyota!

I might even vote for her.
That would be every registered voter gets a new car, and a bag of Oprah favorite things, and a membership to Oprah's book club.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:14 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
What the heck is this fake woman doing, preaching about abusive men?

Old 01-08-2018, 05:18 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,006,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What the heck is this fake woman doing, preaching about abusive men?
Not everyone knew. Just like the rapist or serial killer that have family. The wife and neighbors are shocked. Not everyone show who they really are to all people

Old 01-08-2018, 05:22 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
I'm telling you, race is all this woman has on her mind.

Besides bread.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:24 PM

404 posts, read 193,272 times
If Oprah does run , then be ready for a racist inquisition as she smugly and in her most regal fashion passes judgement on all around her with charges of racism at every turn. This will get ugly , just as it must be said she herself is & somehow she will be in her element.

Just like with the circus clown lady Sheila Jackson Lee in her recent encounter at the airport , the first thing out her mouth was that the incident was race motivated and then proceeded to calmly resume reading her book. Not a bother in the world about it all.

If Oprah or any of these colored ladies want to really open the proverbial can of worms, then do so at their own peril. As how many sad and horrific stories non Blacks can recount about levels of violence subjected on them by Black people. We would be there forever if that was the case.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:24 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Not everyone knew. Just like the rapist or serial killer that have family. The wife and neighbors are shocked. Not everyone show who they really are to all people

Oh, they knew. Pervy Weinstein didn't shock anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections