Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 09:42 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
That's all you've got against an Oprah run for president? I wasn't looking forward to the 2020 elections but this could be fun.
No, I have no problem with her weight. It is the double standard from those that criticize Trump's weight, but never mention Oprah's that I don't like.

I don't like Oprah because she is a racist, sexist, far left Progressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 09:43 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Any chance John Hichenlooper could win?
Honestly, I think just about any sane politician would win against Trump at this point. You only need to do the bare minimum to win most people's vote in 2020.

1. Do not rage Tweet at 3 AM

2. Do not Tweet at all

3. Do not openly judge women on their looks

4. Do not call people names in debates

5. Speak in complete sentences

6. Do not tell blatant lies that can be easily detected/rebutted

7. Do not proclaim to be the best at everything

8. Do not insult world leaders and slam the phone on them

9. Do not spend hours a day watching cable news and live tweeting

10. Do not allow someone into the White House to write a book dissing you

Not a high bar at all.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:44 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
What became of the current thread about Oprah's potential candidacy? This thread started last June - the newer, now apparently vanished thread, began as a result of Oprah's speech at last night's Golden Globes awards show. While posters there were largely pro-Oprah, it contained some very thoughtful points and should still be around for those wanting to discuss pros and cons rather than cast politically based aspersions on any party or individual.

What's up, mods??
I wondered the same thing.

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
No, you did not make it clear that you were talking about voting instead of running. I took it as the latter.

You just said standards and did not specify and I talked about both voting and running in my post (that you were resonding to).

It doesn't matter now, because you've made your intentions clearer.

And for the record I thnk those voting standards would be a very bad idea.
Why are those standards a bad idea? Only the working man (note I didn't say any particular race) is paying taxes. Why shouldn't just working people be able to vote?

I mean, if there are reasons for being unemployed (legitimate reasons, like poor health) then we could/should make exceptions, but I think that standard is a fair one.

And since colleges now have diversity quotas and the like, I certainly wouldn't want only those with a college degree to be able to vote. I think my standard is quite sufficient and absolutely FAIR.

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No, I have no problem with her weight. It is the double standard from those that criticize Trump's weight, but never mention Oprah's that I don't like.

Congratulations. You've got one out of those three things correct.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:46 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Why are those standards a bad idea? Only the working man (note I didn't say any particular race) is paying taxes. Why shouldn't just working people be able to vote?

I mean, if there are reasons for being unemployed (legitimate reasons, like poor health) then we could/should make exceptions, but I think that standard is a fair one.

And since colleges now have diversity quotas and the like, I certainly wouldn't want only those with a college degree to be able to vote. I think my standard is quite sufficient and absolutely FAIR.
So you think a family where one parent stays at home with the children should only have 1 vote?

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Only Republicans want someone like Oprah to run. I haven't heard of one Democrat who wants Oprah to run, not one. But I have heard of numerous Republicans who want her to run.
Well, to be fair democrats only want someone they thought of and pre-selected based on back room deals. They rigged the primaries so Bernie Sanders could not win and they will certainly make sure Oprah can't get the nomination either

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Then it shows lack of will power, and character on her part. If she is so smart, and powerful, you'd think she could stop herself from eating too much. It's called personal discipline.
Pot vs. kettle, then...are you implying that Donny Two-Scoops is not "smart and powerful" and has a "lack of will power and character" and "personal discipline"? Oprah is honest about her issues and has made efforts to deal with them, more than Trump seems to have ever done.

Bring on the bedtime cheeseburgers!

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Quote:

Trump is the President, Oprah is not. Trump is wide open to criticize especially after he claim to be the healthiest candidate ever during the election. He is an overweight buffoon.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:47 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
Quote:

No one would care if Trump was fat if he didn't always comment on the way people looked. He brings that on himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections