Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 09:56 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,851,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Would Gail King be VP or First Lady?
Oh, please, ever hear of Stedman, Oprah's very long-term boyfriend? If Oprah runs, there might be a quick and quiet wedding, so he could officially be First Laddy, but to deliberately imply that Oprah is lesbian is an intended slander which in no way reflects the facts. Gail King and Oprah are bffs, nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

31,988 posts, read 34,536,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I don't know about that. Lot of voters are happy with Trump, find him delightfully non-PC, and are eagerly anticipating the extra money in their paychecks and being able to get get low-cost insurance that doesn't cover much again.
Yes, you do know about this. Trump's approval rating is in the toilet. 2020 will be a referendum on Trump specifically and the primaries will be all about who will be lucky enough to ride the wave of anti-Trump sentiment to the White House.

14,221 posts, read 6,934,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
First who would run against her in the primaries? Is there anyone on the (D) side who even has a remote chance of being a challenger to Trump?
Sherrod Brown and Bernie Sanders?

Old 01-08-2018, 09:57 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,064,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
So, college students, vocational training students, stay at home moms and dads and family members caring for the elderly or disabled in their homes should lose their votes because they're not "contributing to the economy"? Actually, such folks are helping the economy enormously, if you compare their unpaid work to the cost of caring for children, the elderly and disabled outside the home.

Did you really mean to write "working MAN"?? How about working women?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
But what if a divorced woman cant work. Perhaps she is studying. Perhaps she is taking care of children. Perhaps she is taking care of the elderly parents who are kicked to the curb by our horrendous health care system. Why should they be denied the chance to influence the society they live in? What if you had to take care of your frail parents and could no longer work?
As I said above all of that would have to be worked out. I think there would be exceptions in place for certain various cases.

In general though if you're on welfare or unemployed for large chunks of time...NO DICE. You should not be allowed to vote if you are not paying taxes.

(In a perfect world...)

Old 01-08-2018, 09:57 AM

12,920 posts, read 13,611,483 times
Don't care much for Oprah, she's got suburban housewives bamboozled that she is the only black woman in American who had it tough growing up. Poor Oprah, we're so proud of her.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:58 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,791,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Why are those standards a bad idea? Only the working man (note I didn't say any particular race) is paying taxes. Why shouldn't just working people be able to vote?

I mean, if there are reasons for being unemployed (legitimate reasons, like poor health) then we could/should make exceptions, but I think that standard is a fair one.

And since colleges now have diversity quotas and the like, I certainly wouldn't want only those with a college degree to be able to vote. I think my standard is quite sufficient and absolutely FAIR.

It's one of those ideas that sound simple but is very complicated to implement.

Define "working". Does that mean currently working? Have ever worked? If so for how long? What if you only work for a year then get laid off and can't find another job? What if you are in school? Do stay at home moms get to vote? What about the independently wealthy living off a trust fund and not technically working? Artists? Clergy who don't tehnically "work" but are provided for by the church? Volunteers? The sick? Only sick people who worked before get to vote? What if their illness prevents them from ever working? What if you live in an area with no jobs and youve looked and looked but can't find one? What if all you can find is occassional temp work? Does that count? What if you make your living begging on the street or busking or doing off the books jobs... technically you are providing for yourself so are you not working? Does part time work count? What if you work but don't make enough to make ends meet, so you ave food stamps or section 8? Is that good enough or not?

Who decides where the lines are drawn? Is it the federal government or the states?

I mean I could go on for hours.

It's a bad idea.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:58 AM

31,988 posts, read 34,536,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Democrats don't need to explain anything, they just need to play the game better.
And most importantly, unify. Republicans have learned that there's strength in unity. They are behind Trump no matter what--that's where their strength lies. I think it feels unnatural for many Democrats to act the same way but they may need to start acting like Republicans.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:59 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,663,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
No one but the cult believes the bolded.
You don't have to agree with that, just like you don't have to agree that gravity pulls you to the earth or the sun creates light. It doesn't change the reality that a plurality of voting districts chose Trump over Clinton

Deny all you want, but that won't help you in 2020

40,936 posts, read 49,025,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I guess Trump campaigned so hard that he now needs multiple hours of "executive time" each day to kick back and watch television.
Whether you like him or not, anyone would admit he out campaigned and out worked Hillary.

I like Oprah but don't see her coming close to the effort required much less taking on the headaches of the job.

51,618 posts, read 25,681,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yes, you do know about this. Trump's approval rating is in the toilet. 2020 will be a referendum on Trump specifically and the primaries will be all about who will be lucky enough to ride the wave of anti-Trump sentiment to the White House.
Trump's approval rating on Gallup is 40% at the moment. He won at 45%.

Plus, nothing has been done about electronic voting with no possibility of recounting, purging voting rolls, Russian interference in our elections, ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections