U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:04 PM

8,754 posts, read 4,030,751 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how many Hillary supporters may have stayed home because they were so sure that she was going to win that they didn't feel it necessary to take the time to vote. You see this a lot in one-party states. Turnout is low because people already know how its going to go. As close as the election was in places like the rust belt, this could have made the difference. I think the media greatly underestimated Trump and his supporters and were overconfident in Hillary. I think it was wrong for them to act like Hillary had already won before the election. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 09:47 PM

21,235 posts, read 14,261,055 times
For God's sake. The election was 9 months ago. Give it a rest. Everything that needs to be said about it has already been said over and over.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:53 PM

32,293 posts, read 26,146,754 times
pro media bias for hillary? you mean the giant free ad campaign that was the left stream media? how about the fact that hillary was a terrible candidate, with no energy in her campaign. or the fact that polling data was highly skewed towards hillary.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:43 AM

7,252 posts, read 3,746,474 times
She lost because millions of gullible Americans without measurable IQs thought Mexico was going to build them a wall to cower behind. Simple as that.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:37 AM

3,003 posts, read 2,450,166 times
As somebody who lives in one of those states that unexpectedly flipped (Michigan), this is what I saw:

-A fairly small number of loud and enthusiastic Trump supporters.
-A lot of people who didn't like Trump, but didn't like Hillary Clinton either. Some of them voted for Trump, some for Clinton, while a few votes third party. A lot of this crew stayed home.
-Very few people who were excited about Clinton. Most of her backers were anti-Trumpers.

So I think if voters here felt it was in the bag for Clinton, they didn't want to be responsible for it.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:51 AM

11,649 posts, read 8,158,888 times
I know people that couldn't stand Hillary because she was so smug and condescending.
You could scrape it off her that she felt it was her due and the election was just a formality.

I wonder how many voted for Trump because they wanted to support the underdog?

The thing is there were many Trump people who were afraid to let it be known who they were voting for out of fear of being physically attacked or having their property vandalized.
Because of this the polls reflected that Hillary was going to win in a landslide and the media loved that and ran with it.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:46 AM

6,415 posts, read 9,919,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
For God's sake. The election was 9 months ago. Give it a rest. Everything that needs to be said about it has already been said over and over.
Nope. For the past 9 months, your side has done nothing but attempt to deride and dismantle the current administration by making ridiculous claims about Russian hackings with no irrefutable proof whatsoever and now you want us to forget and stop talking about your massive and embarrassing loss. Never.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:34 AM

8,754 posts, read 4,030,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
As somebody who lives in one of those states that unexpectedly flipped (Michigan), this is what I saw:

-A fairly small number of loud and enthusiastic Trump supporters.
-A lot of people who didn't like Trump, but didn't like Hillary Clinton either. Some of them voted for Trump, some for Clinton, while a few votes third party. A lot of this crew stayed home.
-Very few people who were excited about Clinton. Most of her backers were anti-Trumpers.

So I think if voters here felt it was in the bag for Clinton, they didn't want to be responsible for it.
I really think this was the case nationwide.

Very few Clinton supporters were enthusiastic about her. Most supported her because they didn't want Trump. I think this was compounded by the fact that if you listened to the media, you thought it was in the bag for Clinton.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:10 PM

18,663 posts, read 7,254,076 times
In addition, Trump's supporters weren't busy crowing. We were busy voting. 31 states for our 45th POTUS, Donald J. Trump.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:06 PM

815 posts, read 458,384 times
the left can't possibly fathom what actually happened and seem to have huge issues moving on. They want to point the finger at Russia, Director Comey, anybody but themselves. Donald Trump was elected POTUS because Hillary sucked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections