Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:58 AM

473 posts, read 1,245,153 times

Advertisements

Why does no one get this?

The dumbest people in this country are the youth. We were all dumb as youths. We were idealistic and had no clue about reality. As we get older we get more intelligent (or at least more common sense). Because of this, why doesn't anyone see that wherever the youth votes is usually the wrong vote?

The youth are backing Obama and coming out in unprecedented numbers. This should be a giant sign to all Americans that Obama isn't our guy. He's idealistic and charasmatic and a wonderful speaker. Since when did those qualities qualify someone to lead the largest economy and largest military in the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod2828 View Post

The dumbest people in this country are the youth. We were all dumb as youths. We were idealistic and had no clue about reality. As we get older we get more intelligent (or at least more common sense). Because of this, why doesn't anyone see that wherever the youth votes is usually the wrong vote?

The youth are backing Obama and coming out in unprecedented numbers. This should be a giant sign to all Americans that Obama isn't our guy. He's idealistic and charasmatic and a wonderful speaker. Since when did those qualities qualify someone to lead the largest economy and largest military in the world?
This is coming from someone in their mid-20's? Are you not a part of the youth vote yourself?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:07 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,257 times
Strategists will tell you that you have to look beyond now. These same youths (college age, 21 to 23 on avg) will be in their late 20's to early 30's eight years from now or so. That's why it is such a big factor. It's more of process that involves building/expanding the democratic base.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:09 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
I think the "smart vote" is to make your own decision.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:18 AM

I was an idealistic liberal in College. Even at 27, I've realized that small govt, low taxes and incentives to work hard are the keys to success. Corporations and rich people aren't evil. They are successful. They donate more money than any other demographic. I've learned that success comes from within and not from the govt. So yes, I'm part of the youth vote that is NOT voting for cool Obama.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
So yes, I'm part of the youth vote...
"The dumbest people in this country are the youth. We were all dumb as youths. We were idealistic and had no clue about reality. As we get older we get more intelligent (or at least more common sense). Because of this, why doesn't anyone see that wherever the youth votes is usually the wrong vote?"

I rest my case.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:24 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,237 times
Are these the same stupid young people we are sending to defend our freedom in Iraq and Afghanistan? Well I think they might take exception to your hypothesis that idealism is a bad thing. Or is it only liberal idealism that is a bad thing?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 AM

Art,

Here's a tip for you. You want to know how to win at Vegas. Go against the public. Vegas sets up odds based on what it thinks the public will do. The only way to beat vegas is to bet against the public. The public all thinks the war is wrong, thinks bush is an idiot and thinks Obama is our savior. I'm betting against the public.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:26 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:

I think that people 21 and under are the smartest generation yet. To put them down as being 'dumb' is a big mistake. I'll take a young, hopeful idealist over a jaded, negative 'elder' anyday.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 AM

My brother is 14. He doesn't know who the candidates are, doesn't know what the constitution is, doesn't know who our governor is, and I would bet.. he's the norm.

You'd take our youtube generation over a person that came from a generation where we saved our money and put off immediate pleasure for long term success? This site is just full of liberals. I'm starting to really worry about our future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections