Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 09:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times

Advertisements

I'm a very middle-of-the-road Democrat, and I actually voted for Arnold when it hit the fan, and signed the petition to remove Gray Davis.

So, as the audience you are looking for, let me tell you why people like me wouldn't vote for a Republican in the next election, no matter what - and that's because it would be an anti-Trump vote - a vote that would not give Trump any more votes in his White House agenda.

I'm appalled by Trump and the GOP that publicly supports him. I feel it's my job to make their job as difficult as possible to push through their agenda.

So, even though I'm not in love with Newsom, he'll most likely get my vote.

I don't care if you go on and on about how you disagree with what I just said. But, if you want to understand why people like me wouldn't vote for any Republican on the ticket - even though we are fence-riders - here's your answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 10:18 PM

919 posts, read 789,202 times
very good post NoMoreSnowForMe. And yes despite the way we are talked about by the loquatios right wing of CD, I'd say most of us are moderate and would be quite open to some conservative ideas if the Republicans would get real.

How in any good concience can you tolerate Trump as your leader? I think the only good that might come from this Trump presidency is if he splits the Republican party in half with the good conservatives on one side and the deplorables on the other.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:09 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Or give the red counties that went for Trump in Northern California to Nevada, and give Clark County (in Nevada) to California. Sound like a fair trade?
Another pro-gerrymandering right winger. Who would have thunk it.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:33 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,136,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Another pro-gerrymandering right winger. Who would have thunk it.
Like you, I detest gerrymandering. However, pretending that only one party has engaged in it is fallacious.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:31 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Actually they were the folks who supported Loretta Sanchez.

They are outnumbered by the crazy left Dems but the right Republican could get their support - and could get elected with their support - just as they supported Arnold.

If you really think that a "RINO" would be no different than a left wing Dem you deserve a left wing Dem.
Are you kidding me? Kamala Harris beat Sanchez by 25 freaking points.

You're totally missing the point about California politics. Left wing dem, moderate dem, RINO. It won't matter for California. Newsom is going to beat his closest opponent by 20-30 points, take the Governorship, and run California straight into the ground with the assistance of a super majority Democrat Senate/Assembly.

Illinois Part 2 by 2025-2030.

You really think you can change the course or California politics by supporting a RINO-led opposition?

Old 07-07-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm a very middle-of-the-road Democrat, and I actually voted for Arnold when it hit the fan, and signed the petition to remove Gray Davis.

So, as the audience you are looking for, let me tell you why people like me wouldn't vote for a Republican in the next election, no matter what - and that's because it would be an anti-Trump vote - a vote that would not give Trump any more votes in his White House agenda.

I'm appalled by Trump and the GOP that publicly supports him. I feel it's my job to make their job as difficult as possible to push through their agenda.

So, even though I'm not in love with Newsom, he'll most likely get my vote.

I don't care if you go on and on about how you disagree with what I just said. But, if you want to understand why people like me wouldn't vote for any Republican on the ticket - even though we are fence-riders - here's your answer.
See majoun?

Read the above post. This is my evidence that moderate Dems vote lockstep with far left Dems. The value systems between "moderate dems" and "far left dems" are far too similar for them to not vote "lockstep".

It's like the fallacy of saying "moderate Islam" needs to help the fight against "radical Islam". It simply doesn't happen in the real world.

Last edited by CaliRestoration; 07-07-2017 at 12:43 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
very good post NoMoreSnowForMe. And yes despite the way we are talked about by the loquatios right wing of CD, I'd say most of us are moderate and would be quite open to some conservative ideas if the Republicans would get real.

How in any good concience can you tolerate Trump as your leader? I think the only good that might come from this Trump presidency is if he splits the Republican party in half with the good conservatives on one side and the deplorables on the other.
The best thing about the Trump presidency is that he managed to fracture the Democrat party (between far left guys like Ellison, Sanders and establishment people like Clinton, Obama). Trump so far has proven exactly why he won the presidency, and why the Dems are split up and directionless.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:32 PM

919 posts, read 789,202 times
Yes it's we Democrats who are directionless, says the guy who's majority party can't even get 50 votes for the most important thing on their agenda. Yeah, right.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
Yes it's we Democrats who are directionless, says the guy who's majority party can't even get 50 votes for the most important thing on their agenda. Yeah, right.
Yes, Democrats are directionless.

1,000+ lost legislative seats in the past 6 years.

The most important thing on the agenda is fixing or ridding the nation of ObozoCare, you know, the imploding catastrophe that has robbed millions of coverage due to increasing premium cost, and was put into law with 100% Democrat support and 0% Republican support. GOP fixing DNC created problems is the most important thing on the agenda, in that you are correct.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:08 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
As an independent, I don't consider myself Democrat or Republican since I've see significant problems in both parties. That said, I've probably voted an equal amount on both sides depending on who's running. Like NoMoreSnow, I can't stand Trump or any candidate who wants to further his agenda. Although I voted against Jerry, he actually ended up doing more good for the state in turning things around during the Great Recession. I would vote for him over the other choices if given the option. I don't really like the things I've seen or heard so from Gavin. Although I do like the fact that he's moving in a different direction than Trump on several key fronts. The reality is, its going to come down to the least terrible choice for most Californians. For many independents and dems there's a high probability it will be a vote against Trump's agenda infiltrating our state more than for Gavin or any other candidate. Could there be a moderate Republican in the shadow of Trump not licking at his feet? Hard to tell yet.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections