U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 10:06 AM

19,187 posts, read 14,944,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
n the 7 or so years that I have been on this forum, I think I have seen Debbie Stabenow mentioned 2 times, and one of them is your post.

As much as people like you dont like Democrats, lets not pretend like you know her record or her in general enough to call her that.
I just read 3 or 4 articles, summary would be that she is not popular and many feel she is incompetent. No reason to discuss here that often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
I watched the Kid Rock/Dan Rather interview on youtube. He's a real guy. If he runs, I bet he wins Michigan easily.
This interview, of course, the libs can only read the headlines they are fed, but.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmEPITo2ZjA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 11:45 AM

5,116 posts, read 4,605,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I just read 3 or 4 articles, summary would be that she is not popular and many feel she is incompetent. No reason to discuss here that often.
Regarding your extensive research on Senator Stabenow, you should probably read more articles, and from sources outside of your usual go-to web sites.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:14 PM

12,639 posts, read 7,290,996 times
Quote:

This interview, of course, the libs can only read the headlines they are fed, but.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmEPITo2ZjA
Great interview. Dan Rather isn't so bad when he isn't bleating out partisan talking points.

As for Kid Rock, he has more decency and good sense than probably 99% of the career political hacks in D.C.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:00 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,404,089 times
Kudos for him trying!!! You got to respect someone who wants to make a difference. It would be interesting to see what he accomplishes.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:31 PM

13,612 posts, read 10,250,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"We're getting closer to a real life "Idiocracy" every damned day."

What makes you say that?

A comedian, Al Franken, is now a Senator.

Sonny Bono was a singer and song writer and became a Congressman.

Just because someone is in the entertainment industry does NOT make then ineligible to run for Congress.

They are ALL American citizens.

Heck, a community organizer became President. ANY American can run for political office.
This is true, but Kid Rock.. I like the guy well enough, but he has some self control problems. He knocked on some random dude's hotel room door and beat the living snot out of the guy because he mistook him for someone he thought was sleeping with Pamela Anderson. He later apologized.

He has a well documented substance abuse problem as well.

If his state wants him writing legislation for them, that's not my call. But I wouldn't vote for him.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:47 PM

946 posts, read 532,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
This is true, but Kid Rock.. I like the guy well enough, but he has some self control problems. He knocked on some random dude's hotel room door and beat the living snot out of the guy because he mistook him for someone he thought was sleeping with Pamela Anderson. He later apologized.

He has a well documented substance abuse problem as well.

If his state wants him writing legislation for them, that's not my call. But I wouldn't vote for him.
Ordinarily, I would agree with you, but "control problems"? Look at our President- he is the poster child for impulsive behavior! (Not to mention Bill Clinton and Jack Kennedy)

"Substance abuse" ? -There are plenty of congressman and other lawmakers who have been known to abuse alcohol- what's the problem? He would add some much needed color to the Senate...

look at some other colorful additions to state governments (I am sure that there are other examples)

Ronald Reagan former actor
Jerry Brown former priest
Jesse Ventura- former pro wrestler
Al Franken - former comedian
Joe Kennedy, Sr. - bootlegger, later ambassador, his sons were President and Attorney General

The government is of the people, by the people, and for the people. Why should we only have lawyers and stuffed shirts leading us and or representing us?

I wonder if he will use his stage name or real name?

Old 07-20-2017, 01:15 PM

71,683 posts, read 83,244,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Regarding your extensive research on Senator Stabenow, you should probably read more articles, and from sources outside of your usual go-to web sites.
Tell me how many do not use their go to web sites more than other websites, don't you? I like to think I am open minded and research many sites, both print media and web sites plus TV, but of course I have my favorites.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:49 PM

3,003 posts, read 2,449,311 times
Quote:
I'm from Michigan, and I think it's very dangerous to apply the Trump-Clinton narrative to the Richie (Kid Rock)-Stabenow narrative.

First of all, last I checked, Debbie Stabenow has a +14 favorability rating. She's not particularly popular (I think 48% approved and 34% disapproved), but she isn't exactly hated by large swaths of the electorate like Clinton is. She's also relatively boring and non-controversial, and doesn't have any juicy e-mail scandals or whatnot that I've heard of.

It's also important to note that while national political trends have become local, that Hillary Clinton chose to be a coastal elitist that ignored flyover country, hurting her in purple states like Michigan. That isn't going to happen in this case. Both Richie and Stabenow are Michiganders, and they care about the state on some level.

Also keep in mind that Governor Snyder is deeply unpopular in Michigan due to the Flint water crisis, and people may be more of a mood to vote for Democrats.

That being said, I really doubt whether Richie would run a campaign similar to how Trump did. He may say some rough around the edges things, but I don't think he's going to be selling snake oil. A Richie-Stabenow contest would be much more conventional than the presidential election was.

Just a few thoughts so we can avoid the Michigan is turning permanently red forever silliness that some posters seem to be promoting here.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:05 PM

1,858 posts, read 815,900 times
So there is hope for Kanye West's presidential run yet....

Old 07-23-2017, 11:02 PM

10,779 posts, read 2,666,455 times
Found this long list. Never heard of some. There is also a Wikipedia page listing actors who became politicians in many other countries. I was surprised there were so many
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or