Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 02:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Texas always goes republican in elections, so the dems/libs have no choice but to stay home. Just like how California always goes democrat in elections, so the republicans stay home.
totally disagree with you. Republicans do vote in CA, otherwise there would be no republicans elected to even state office and there are quite a few. the same with national elections. The difference is, the overwhelming number of registered voters in Ca are Dems. So it is harder than heck to bet a republican elected. In Texas I see it a little differently. There are many, the more rural regions of the state that probably don't even bother to register.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 05:09 PM

52,684 posts, read 47,937,079 times
Purple? Texas? Not in my lifetime or my niece's. Republicans rule the roost and our state's economy is one of the most robust in the nation. People are still moving here because the jobs are here and there is no state income tax.

Those of you who like to dream of a blue Texas, well, just keep singing the blues. The state's lifeblood is still red.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:32 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,931,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Purple? Texas? Not in my lifetime or my niece's. Republicans rule the roost and our state's economy is one of the most robust in the nation. People are still moving here because the jobs are here and there is no state income tax.

Those of you who like to dream of a blue Texas, well, just keep singing the blues. The state's lifeblood is still red.
Actually In my life time they have ruled the roost in Texas and almost all the major cities tend to have Democrats as their mayors with the occasional moderate Repub. As for our economy, you might want to catch up we have fallen far in the last decade, and the income tax issue is become less of one when you consider our **** poor education ratings, lack of new job growth which is now dismal at best, and the fact that other states also offer the no income tax advantage. You might want to catch up on current affairs in our State, right now their major push is taking away the rights of cities to govern themselves and keeping transgender out of the bathroom their current sex dictates they use. Sorry to disappoint but if the Cons keep screwing over the People of Texas long enough it very well could go Blue again.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:38 PM

17,339 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Even that was a fluke. If her opponent hadn't oped his stupid trap and put his foot,boot and all in his mouth she would not have won. 4 years later it was a different ending.
I remember her. She had quite the spunky personality although quite liberal I believe. Sometimes personality plays a large role in being elected even in Texas.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:37 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Actually In my life time they have ruled the roost in Texas and almost all the major cities tend to have Democrats as their mayors with the occasional moderate Repub. As for our economy, you might want to catch up we have fallen far in the last decade, and the income tax issue is become less of one when you consider our **** poor education ratings, lack of new job growth which is now dismal at best, and the fact that other states also offer the no income tax advantage. .
Only 8 states are wise enough to be income tax free.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Only 8 states are wise enough to be income tax free.
Several of which are Blue States.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Actually In my life time they have ruled the roost in Texas and almost all the major cities tend to have Democrats as their mayors with the occasional moderate Repub. As for our economy, you might want to catch up we have fallen far in the last decade, and the income tax issue is become less of one when you consider our **** poor education ratings, lack of new job growth which is now dismal at best, and the fact that other states also offer the no income tax advantage. You might want to catch up on current affairs in our State, right now their major push is taking away the rights of cities to govern themselves and keeping transgender out of the bathroom their current sex dictates they use. Sorry to disappoint but if the Cons keep screwing over the People of Texas long enough it very well could go Blue again.

Yes, the mayors of Dallas, Houston, and Austin are Democrats, but the mayors of San Antonio and Arlington are Independents, and the mayors of Fort Worth, El Paso, Lubbock, Garland, and Irving are Republicans.

Texas is consistently ranked in the top four states when it comes to high school graduation rates. Considering that Texas ranks second in the nation when it comes to percentage of students with English as a learned language, that's fantastic. States and Districts with the Highest Number and Share of English Language Learners | migrationpolicy.org

Texas added over 40k jobs in June 2017. In fact, Texas is ranked #1 in number of jobs added.
Job Growth by State | Department of Numbers

Old 08-11-2017, 07:56 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I've been in TX for 35 years and I've heard this "purple Texas" baloney for about as long.

It ain't happenin', folks.

The TX Dem party is about as lively as a Texas horny toad in an ice box.

Not the TCU kind...

Agreed. I've heard this since the days of Willie Velasquez and the Southwest Voter Project since at least the early 80s also. But it actually is getting more competitive. Hillary Clinton came within 9 points without even campaigning in the state. Obama came even closer in 2008. It would be even closer if you count those who voted 3rd party who voted that way because we're so dominated by Red. Voter turnout is pitifully low in the areas along the border and the amount of right wing religious voters is stifling.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, the mayors of Dallas, Houston, and Austin are Democrats, but the mayors of San Antonio and Arlington are Independents, and the mayors of Fort Worth, El Paso, Lubbock, Garland, and Irving are Republicans.

Texas is consistently ranked in the top four states when it comes to high school graduation rates. Considering that Texas ranks second in the nation when it comes to percentage of students with English as a learned language, that's fantastic. States and Districts with the Highest Number and Share of English Language Learners | migrationpolicy.org

Texas added over 40k jobs in June 2017. In fact, Texas is ranked #1 in number of jobs added.
Job Growth by State | Department of Numbers
Ummm, the mayor of Dallas is a Republican, maybe you should have looked up more than a few cities.

Graduation and Jobs: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Old 08-11-2017, 09:55 AM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
There is one thing that has not been discussed. And as someone who lives in Georgia, I've seen this happen. Gerrymandering.
Why Texas is Texas: A gerrymandering case cuts to the core of the state's transformation - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections