U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2017, 06:50 AM

66,140 posts, read 33,571,533 times

Advertisements

Who will fill Sessions old Senate seat to finish out the next term?

Strange?
Moore?
Brinson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 11:28 AM

10,478 posts, read 6,173,167 times
Shame that no one appears to care about your thread. However, I shall play (although not from Alabama).

I give the nod to Mr. Luther Strange, whom President Trump has endorsed. Mr. Trump obviously endorsed Mr. Strange due to his imposing height of 6'9". Senator Mitch McConnell has fundraised for Big Luther, although he is rather short.

Of course, Big Luther was the state's Attorney General last fall in charge of the investigation the governor, Robert Bentley, concerning some sex scandal. Big Luther Strange vowed to get to the bottom of the scandal, and if it led to the impeachment of Governor Bentley, so be it.

President Trump then nominated Senator Jeff Sessions to his current position as US Attorney General. Governor Bentley, not one to hold a grudge, immediately picked Big Luther Strange to replace Mr. Sessions in the US Senate.

Alas! Such did not save Mr. Bentley! A special prosecutor was named, and Governor Bentley resigned in April 2017.

I also believe that Roy Moore has a shot (he does lead in the polls). After all, he would ably represent Alabama, having only been removed from the state's Supreme Court twice, which could literally happen to anyone.

True, given Mr. Moore's history, he may end up having to skedaddle from the Senate if elected, but the current governor is fully prepared to name another place-holder to that seat, if need be, and have another special election, which Alabamians seem to love.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:02 PM

23,216 posts, read 11,473,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Who will fill Sessions old Senate seat to finish out the next term?

Strange?
Moore?
Brinson?
Lets be honest, the only reason Roy Moore isnt the current governor of Alabama is because Democrats crossed over and voted for the other guy.

He will however be the next senator. Mitch McConnell has stupidly decided to run ads against him( Senate Leadership Fund). So now he can claim he isnt beholden to the establishment.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:06 PM

1,171 posts, read 794,077 times
Is there going to be election like in Atlanta?

Old 08-16-2017, 04:58 AM

33,046 posts, read 21,944,895 times
That was weird. Mo Brooks was invited onto some conservative radio talk shows over the past few weeks, to make his pitch. All hosts mentioned Strange, as the appointed fill-in and former Alabama AG. Maybe I didn't pay attention or listen to enough radio but I never heard Moore's name once - I literally had no idea he was even running; I had presumed that since his most recent debacle he had simply retired for good.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:47 AM

10,478 posts, read 6,173,167 times
So! Roy Moore (twice removed from the Alabama Supreme Court) managed to edge out Big Luther Strange, 40 percent to 32 percent (Brooks the remainder), despite Big Luther being supported by President Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Time for a run-off! Perhaps President Trump will visit Alabama to campaign on behalf of Big Luther.

And, no, I doubt that it will 'hurt' Big Luther to have the President do so. In most states, perhaps, but not in Alabama.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:01 AM

66,140 posts, read 33,571,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
So! Roy Moore (twice removed from the Alabama Supreme Court) managed to edge out Big Luther Strange, 40 percent to 32 percent (Brooks the remainder), despite Big Luther being supported by President Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Time for a run-off! Perhaps President Trump will visit Alabama to campaign on behalf of Big Luther.

And, no, I doubt that it will 'hurt' Big Luther to have the President do so. In most states, perhaps, but not in Alabama.

From what I have been reading, both Strange & Moore have been involved in corrupt dealings.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:30 PM

18,976 posts, read 15,428,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That was weird. Mo Brooks was invited onto some conservative radio talk shows over the past few weeks, to make his pitch. All hosts mentioned Strange, as the appointed fill-in and former Alabama AG. Maybe I didn't pay attention or listen to enough radio but I never heard Moore's name once - I literally had no idea he was even running; I had presumed that since his most recent debacle he had simply retired for good.
Brooks was pretty much running a distant third from the start and never gained much traction. He made a commercial out of the Scalise shooting which received negative coverage across the board.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:56 PM

3,645 posts, read 2,318,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

Most national pundits I listened to on the radio expected Moore to win yesterday with Strange winning the runoff. The commentary was that Moore had a fixed core of support and would not gather any higher percentage in the runoff. We shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections