U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2017, 07:38 PM
 
18,993 posts, read 7,386,284 times
Reputation: 8094

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxmanSneaks View Post
Do you think he really would have defeated Donald Trump in the presidential election?
From Vince Foster to Seth Rich, perhaps there is a reason he did not protest the manipulation against him by the party too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2017, 09:08 PM
 
2,112 posts, read 790,698 times
Reputation: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxmanSneaks View Post
Do you think he really would have defeated Donald Trump in the presidential election?
No, if Bernie would have won the nomination, Trump and the GOP would have unleashed the hounds on hell on Sanders.

They would have convinced millions of Americans that Sanders was Stalin incarnate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,218 posts, read 11,844,911 times
Reputation: 32251
Zero chance Sanders would have won. Hillary treated him with kid gloves, and so did the media. Trump would have gone for the jugular and there was a ton of oppo research out there that would have been deployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 11:29 PM
 
Location: US
17,949 posts, read 17,886,302 times
Reputation: 13968
Also, the title of this thread should be... "If the DNC didn't rig the primary election in favor of Hillary Clinton, would Bernie Sanders of won the general election"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 11:38 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
4,198 posts, read 937,102 times
Reputation: 3678
Yep, Trump is a bully, and many people in this country seem to like bullies. Sad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 11:46 PM
Status: "Venezuela socialist? Like Honduras is capitalist, I suppose." (set 6 hours ago)
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,097 posts, read 2,134,037 times
Reputation: 3822
Bernie probably would have won. Trump won only because crucial traditionally leftish states (WI, MI, and PA) went for Trump by the slimmest of margins. It's hard to believe an anti-establishment "liberal" would have done worse than an anti-establishment "conservative" in those states. Bernie likely would have grabbed off Iowa and Florida too.

It's a shame it didn't happen, and not just because of my personal preference for Sanders. It would have been a classic election about which direction this country would go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 11:50 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
4,198 posts, read 937,102 times
Reputation: 3678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Bernie probably would have won. Trump won only because crucial traditionally leftish states (WI, MI, and PA) went for Trump by the slimmest of margins. It's hard to believe an anti-establishment "liberal" would have done worse than an anti-establishment "conservative" in those states. Bernie likely would have grabbed off Iowa and Florida too.

It's a shame it didn't happen, and not just because of my personal preference for Sanders. It would have been a classic election about which direction this country would go.
I agree, it sucks that we're going in the completely wrong direction. I'm really worried for this country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 04:28 AM
 
79,555 posts, read 33,756,358 times
Reputation: 15968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
No, if Bernie would have won the nomination, Trump and the GOP would have unleashed the hounds on hell on Sanders.

They would have convinced millions of Americans that Sanders was Stalin incarnate
Why would you have fallen for it? How is it you are so easily manipulated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 04:29 AM
 
79,555 posts, read 33,756,358 times
Reputation: 15968
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Zero chance Sanders would have won. Hillary treated him with kid gloves, and so did the media. Trump would have gone for the jugular and there was a ton of oppo research out there that would have been deployed.
Tons I tell you, tons, just trust you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 05:25 AM
 
Location: Here and now.
11,917 posts, read 3,653,299 times
Reputation: 12869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I disagree. "Centrist" these days seems to default right of center which Clinton was. The reason why I think he did well as you said, is because despite somewhat "owning" the socialist title, his policies aren't nearly as radical as some make them out to be.

I keep reading these articles about how people are more accepting of "socialism", when it seems to me there's a fundamental disconnect between groups on what that "socialism" looks like (Venezuela/North Korea vs Sweden/Australia). In a lot of ways the US had already embraced many "socialist lite" policies with FDR that exist to this day that many people would hesitate to give up when having to face the reality of how their day to day lives would really change.
Yes, yes, yes, to the items in bold. Most people's hand-wringing over the word "socialism" is knee-jerk panic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:56 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top