Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 07:33 AM

120 posts, read 66,221 times

Advertisements

Do you think he really would have defeated Donald Trump in the presidential election?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 07:50 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
I don`t. When Trump called the Mexicans rapists and murderers and promise a free wall for us to hide behind, there was no stopping him.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:00 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I don`t. When Trump called the Mexicans rapists and murderers and promise a free wall for us to hide behind, there was no stopping him.
Trump did not call the Mexicans rapists, and murderers. He said that there were a higher percentage of criminals in ILLEGAL ALIENS coming over the border than those whom immigrate legally, and are vetted. Who are you CNN? NBC?

And guess what? Trump is right.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:10 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxmanSneaks View Post
Do you think he really would have defeated Donald Trump in the presidential election?
Possibly. Donald Trump had serious flaws so there was an opening for a good Democratic candidate.

I for one would probably would have switched my vote from Trump to Sanders. It would really come down to whether I saw Bernie retaining some amount of his independence and moral decency or just caving to the corrupt Democratic establishment.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:11 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times
Maybe. He is good at connecting with voters. He also would have been seen as "anti establishment"

He might have eked out a win

Old 08-23-2017, 08:21 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Trump did not call the Mexicans rapists, and murderers. He said that there were a higher percentage of criminals in ILLEGAL ALIENS coming over the border than those whom immigrate legally, and are vetted. Who are you CNN? NBC?

And guess what? Trump is right.
Donald Trump kept complaining about Mexicans and illegal aliens as they were the same thing.

Trump brought up issues that could have brought a real interracial coalition together for serious change. Trump was 100% correct about brining up the issue of illegal aliens. This issue has been with us for a long time and its effects on crime, low income wages and housing costs have been totally ignored by the Establishment and the corporate controlled media.

Instead however, his stupid racial and prejudicial remarks about Mexicans, women and Muslims not only cost him many votes in the 2016 election, it is weakening him as a President even now.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:41 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
I think Bernie would have won. There are some people who will never vote for anyone running as a Democrat, but I doubt many Hillary supporters would have jumped the fence to vote for Trump, and Bernie could have hung onto people who considered Hillary a war hawk with too cozy a relationship to Wall Street. I think the DNC's treatment of Bernie may well have cost the Democrats the election. I know it cost them a lot of voters who were really excited about the process for the first time. I think it's unfortunate, because it's difficult for me to imagine anyone less temperamentally suited to the job than Trump, but there it is.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:40 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
What if Martians had landed on election day?

Old 08-23-2017, 10:03 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Hard to say.

Bernie won the D primary in 2 of the 3 states that swung the election to Trump (MI and WI), but lost OH and PA to Hillary.

He wouldn't have had the Comey drama though.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:21 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
I've covered this many times. Sanders would not have lost a single state Hillary won. Sanders beat Hillary in Michigan and Wisconsin and would have won those two.

That would have left Pennsylvania as the deciding state. Trump still would have won the rural areas because of coal. Hillary lost the big cities because they were left behind in the interest of helping Wall Street. The question is whether those who stayed home would have voted.

It's possible that Obama and Hillary so damaged the party over their love of Wall Street that they wouldn't have but Sanders would have campaigned hard there and wouldn't have taken them for granted.

He very well could have pulled it off and worse case. He wouldn't have been embarrassed like Hillary was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections