Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 01:28 PM

317 posts, read 496,093 times

Advertisements

I think its interesting that Mitt Romney lost the nomination because people couldn't accept the fact that he belongs to the church of Latter-Day Saints. The Church of Latter-Day Saints preach love, compassion, and acceptance of your fellow man.
Meanwhile, Obama continues to lead in all of the polls despite the fact that he belongs to a church that screams hate and prejudice. Whats wrong with this picture?
Obama has been a member of that church for many years. He was probably sitting in the pews while the pastor made those comments. It was not an isolated incident. Reverent Wright has been giving these speaches on a regular bases for years. But did Obama ever walk out and look for a new church? No! He kept coming back year after year. He had Reverent Wright perform his wedding. He had him baptise his children. He donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to that church. Now Reverent Wright is a member of Obama's campaign! Where do you think Obama's wife is getting all of her hatred from? This is the person that they have selected as their spiritual mentor. Obama joined that church because of Reverent White, not despite him. Its the same church that praises Louis Farrakhan. Do you honestly believe that Obama does not agree with all of those racial remarks? Why else has he kept going to that church for all these years? Wake up people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 01:39 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
I recall it being talked about a lot that until very recently Blacks were not eligible to become LDS. I also recall Romney being asked about it, did he agree with it, etc.....

Not to worry, though....I'm sure someone will come to this thread and explain why its different and why you just may be a race baiting, sensationilist for even bringing it up

Old 03-14-2008, 01:44 PM

580 posts, read 1,680,639 times
I'm a undecided voter
Its not that hard finding a new church/ although it can be hard finding the right one and leaving one. So maybe these are reasons Obama is still at the church, but I'm not that sure. Although he has been supporting his pastor for 20 years... thats alot so I'm not sure if those reasons fit him. But hey, I heard his pastor recently retired.... ( Probably since Obama been running for president )

Old 03-14-2008, 01:48 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
I think its interesting that Mitt Romney lost the nomination because people couldn't accept the fact that he belongs to the church of Latter-Day Saints.
Mitt Romney lost because people do not like him. He comes off as phony. The press that followed him hated him. McCain hates him. I personally never understood his appeal. And if he wasn't so wealthy, he would never have gotten as far as he did. It had very little to do with his religion, and much to do about his personality and changes of positions on policies.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:24 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I recall it being talked about a lot that until very recently Blacks were not eligible to become LDS. I also recall Romney being asked about it, did he agree with it, etc.....
That's actually the fairest way to assess this thing.

The LDS church, until the late '70s (somebody who's LDS correct me if I'm wrong on the era) did not permit Black people in the priesthood or other higher-up positions in the church. Initially, they believed that we were cursed, and thus not worthy of such a position. Now, I don't know if the "curse" thing is still part of their belief, but I do know that the ban on Blacks was lifted (although I'm not sure if there are many Black priests within the church system).

So would it be fair to impute this onto Mitt Romney?

Old 03-14-2008, 03:36 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
That's actually the fairest way to assess this thing.

The LDS church, until the late '70s (somebody who's LDS correct me if I'm wrong on the era) did not permit Black people in the priesthood or other higher-up positions in the church. Initially, they believed that we were cursed, and thus not worthy of such a position. Now, I don't know if the "curse" thing is still part of their belief, but I do know that the ban on Blacks was lifted (although I'm not sure if there are many Black priests within the church system).

So would it be fair to impute this onto Mitt Romney?
Actually, yes. It was fair when he was asked repeatedly about this part of his faith. If anyone has quotes from Romney on how he was able to reconcile his faith with such institionalized rascim, I would be much obliged.

Backfist, I have a feeling that we may be more alike then we realize......I don't care for rascism, misogyny, bigotry on any front, from anyone. I don't like it, I don't approve of it, and frankly I hold suspect anyone who is willing to do the ol' wink and nudge when they see it. At best those people are weak, at worst? It doesn't have a place in this world anymore. The more people defend it, either vociferously or subtley the more it will creep in and rot our country and ourselves from the inside out. This is not about black/white, us/them.....this is about the future of the human race.

If we want an end to this, then we need to address that it exists. We also need to stop supporting it. And then, we need to start trusting people who don't look, sound, or live exactly the way 'we' do.

And this is what I had thought Sen Obama stood for and was willing to fight for. I feel a little betrayed that he would have stood for such ugly talk. From anyone. At anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections