U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:11 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,716,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I distinctly remember in school that I was taught that Athenian democracy was not only excluded slaves and women, but it was open only to a select portion of free male society.

I don't remember being told in school that American democracy during the time of the founding fathers was even more exclusive than Athenian democracy. I think I would have remembered that fact. If the above quote is actually true, then a smaller percentage of the USA population was voting in Presidential elections, than under the Athenian oligarchy system.

If the elections were determined by less than 4% of the population (and under 1% for the two re-elections with no rival candidate) than I actually think the word oligarchy is more appropriate than democracy.

It was the Democratic Party that really opened up suffrage to a fairly large proportion of free male society. It does sort of make sense given the name of the party.
I've continued to read and learn long after graduating high school.

The freedom and accessibility of information is terribly underappreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 06:40 PM

9,819 posts, read 10,062,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
There are a lot of things to read. I see many references to the founding fathers in essays. President Trump seems to have created a minor industry in speculation as to how the founding fathers would have viewed Trump.

But there is a lot of merit in the following statement.

There is also no question that the Founding Fathers created an oligarchy, not a republic or a democracy.
https://thoughtcatalog.com/avery-bis...nding-fathers/

Old 09-05-2017, 06:55 PM

3,854 posts, read 1,649,933 times
Default Overinformed, & much of it is piffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post

The freedom and accessibility of information is terribly underappreciated.
Certainly the Founding Fathers of the US were very leery about establishing a democracy, in the purest sense of the word. These were many of the leading lights of their generation in N. America - & they were very uncomfortable with the notion of setting up a mobocracy - probably the kindest thing they had to say about establishing the franchise on a universal basis.

A republic is probably a more accurate description of the structure they created - but as noted, the franchise was sharply withheld from the vast majority of the population in the nascent United States. & this held true up until Pres. Jackson's time.

Yah, the US now suffers from the opposite of censorship - there's a positive glut of information, some false, some deliberately misleading, some so far gone that it might as well be called disinformation. The trick is to distinguish among them, & try to discern something that resembles the truth.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:17 AM

9,819 posts, read 10,062,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Certainly the Founding Fathers of the US were very leery about establishing a democracy, in the purest sense of the word. These were many of the leading lights of their generation in N. America - & they were very uncomfortable with the notion of setting up a mobocracy - probably the kindest thing they had to say about establishing the franchise on a universal basis.

A republic is probably a more accurate description of the structure they created - but as noted, the franchise was sharply withheld from the vast majority of the population in the nascent United States. & this held true up until Pres. Jackson's time.
If it is really true that Athenians permitted up to 30% of the population to vote, and they voted directly on issues, while Americans had less than 4% of the population vote, then " democracy, in the purest sense of the word" or even a "republic" is not very accurate. I think "oligarchy" sounds more accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections