Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 04:08 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,967 times

Advertisements

Obama sent this to the Huffington Post

Quote:
Let me say at the outset that I vehemently disagree and strongly condemn the statements that have been the subject of this controversy. I categorically denounce any statement that disparages our great country or serves to divide us from our allies. I also believe that words that degrade individuals have no place in our public dialogue, whether it's on the campaign stump or in the pulpit. In sum, I reject outright the statements by Rev. Wright that are at issue.

Let me repeat what I've said earlier. All of the statements that have been the subject of controversy are ones that I vehemently condemn. They in no way reflect my attitudes and directly contradict my profound love for this country.

With Rev. Wright's retirement and the ascension of my new pastor, Rev. Otis Moss, III, Michelle and I look forward to continuing a relationship with a church that has done so much good. And while Rev. Wright's statements have pained and angered me, I believe that Americans will judge me not on the basis of what someone else said, but on the basis of who I am and what I believe in; on my values, judgment and experience to be President of the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 04:13 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
I'm glad he is finally addressing this. I wish he would go into more detail on how he could reconcile such an oppossing viewpoint for twenty years though.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:16 PM

640 posts, read 461,439 times
An important paragraph -

"The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation. When these statements first came to my attention, it was at the beginning of my presidential campaign. I made it clear at the time that I strongly condemned his comments. But because Rev. Wright was on the verge of retirement, and because of my strong links to the Trinity faith community, where I married my wife and where my daughters were baptized, I did not think it appropriate to leave the church."

I guess it was okay to stay at the church because the reverend was retiring??? But he stayed for 20 YEARS!! I'm not buying this B.S.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:27 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
An important paragraph -

"The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation. When these statements first came to my attention, it was at the beginning of my presidential campaign. I made it clear at the time that I strongly condemned his comments. But because Rev. Wright was on the verge of retirement, and because of my strong links to the Trinity faith community, where I married my wife and where my daughters were baptized, I did not think it appropriate to leave the church."

I guess it was okay to stay at the church because the reverend was retiring??? But he stayed for 20 YEARS!! I'm not buying this B.S.
Me neither. If Wright's remarks truly offended him, he would have found a new church 19+ years ago. And if Wright's remarks truly offended him, he would have VOLUNTARILY distanced himself last summer instead of being forced to do so now that it's making big news. What a phony!

Old 03-14-2008, 04:28 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,442 times
To little to late, you don't go to a church for 20 and give them $22,500 in 2006 if you don't agree with them, it seem Obama true colors are showing through, they already show through on his not proud of America wife.

Beside what kind of parent would take their children to a church were the preacher cusses from the pulpit ... just poor judgment that we don't need in the White House.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:29 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
An important paragraph -

Well, wait.....is Sen Obama saying that he never heard these views from Rev Wright before? That this is news to him?
I surely hope so, because you know the Clinton camp are pouring over those tapes trying to find evidence of Sen Obama in the congregation.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:42 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Me neither. If Wright's remarks truly offended him, he would have found a new church 19+ years ago. And if Wright's remarks truly offended him, he would have VOLUNTARILY distanced himself last summer instead of being forced to do so now that it's making big news. What a phony!
Several of you, who claim his response isn't good enough, have been against Obama from the start. He could turn water into wine and it wouldn't please you. Therefore your cries of righteous indignation ring hollow.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:52 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I'm glad he is finally addressing this. I wish he would go into more detail on how he could reconcile such an oppossing viewpoint for twenty years though.
Quote:

The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation. When these statements first came to my attention, it was at the beginning of my presidential campaign. I made it clear at the time that I strongly condemned his comments. But because Rev. Wright was on the verge of retirement, and because of my strong links to the Trinity faith community, where I married my wife and where my daughters were baptized, I did not think it appropriate to leave the church.
Barack Obama: On My Faith and My Church - Politics on The Huffington Post

The pastor wasn't making statements like that every time he preached in the past 20 years.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:59 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,941 times
Everyone keeps mentioning 20 years but how do we KNOW that this Rev has been saying this stuff for 20 years.

Lets just say that he fell off his rocker recently and has been saying this stuff for the past few years. What if during that time Obama was not going regularly and what if this kind of stuff in the 'surmons' being discussed in these threads don't happen on a regular Service?

My point is that I don't agree with a lot of what this guy says but it seems as if everyone is saying that this guy has aways been like tis and that 9bama must agree with him since he's been going to the church for 20 years.

Sounds like some more research and critical thinking is needed before making the 20 year link.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:02 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
The pastor was Obama's mentor, and he even named his book after his pastor. The pastor married him, baptised his children...I just don't understand how Obama could mentor a man who makes so many extreme statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections