Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the primaries for all states should be done on the same day just like the general elect
Yes 29 49.15%
No 23 38.98%
Other (please explain in your post) 7 11.86%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 06:37 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times

Advertisements

No. This is what we should do: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rota...Primary_System
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 09:29 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
I voted to not have the primary elections for all states to be performed on the same day. My reason is that such a schedule would tend to reward those candidates with the deepest pockets (or, at least, those candidates who are deepest in the pockets of their largest contributors). Any grass roots candidacy for the presidency will have its odds of success greatly reduced.

What I'd like to see is a rotating primary schedule, that starts with elections in smaller states singly, then works up to the larger states towards the end of the schedule. I'd also require that at least two states next to each other, such as Vermont and New Hampshire or North and South Dakota, each holding their primary elections on the same day. I'd then increase the number of states holding primaries to a larger number of contiguous states or regional states. In essence, I'd like what Juppiter posted, the Rotating Primary System, but have it broken out so that instead of four primary election dates (one per region), I'd have eight election dates, say two small Southern states, two small Western states, two small Northeastern states, and two small Midwestern states, and then repeat with remaining West, South, Midwest, and Northeast on four separate dates.

One more thing: I'd not pick the leading primary states until mid January of the election year. That would keep the politicians unable to throw their maximum funding at the predictable early elections. Then I'd have two election groupings per month, from mid February through end of May.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:44 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
We have nothing to gain by dragging the process out as we do. Cut to the chase. No campaigning before April. Hold four regional primaries on four days separated by 2-3 weeks. None before mid-June and no caucus states. Nominating party conventions in September. Election in November.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:27 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
NO........They should do it by regions, so all the candidates go in person to each of those states and campaigns. If you do the primaries as national elections, then the candidates will focus on a few key states and ignore the rest.

they should do it by a 8 states region primaries at a time.
I like that. I'd be fine with the regions that have less people going first, for that matter.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:04 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
NO........They should do it by regions, so all the candidates go in person to each of those states and campaigns. If you do the primaries as national elections, then the candidates will focus on a few key states and ignore the rest.

they should do it by a 8 states region primaries at a time.
you may be right.....and regional sounds reasonable

but I disagree with stating that candidates will only focus on a few states.....the primaries require you win almost every state (or the other winners pledge their delegates to the one)

so let's look at the 2008 democrat primaries
55 different primaries...over 8 different candidates...Obama, Biden, Clinton, Edwards, Richardson, Dodd, Gravel, Kucinich.

IF they were held all on one day....you could have 5 different candidate each winning 11.......

so what would HAVE to happen is a run-off of some type, with just those 5 (narrowing the field)

the primaries are a difficult animal

Old 09-15-2017, 11:08 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
do it by 8 states region and it should take 6 months and all the candidates are required to go to all the states if they want to be on the state's ballot ......divide the regions like college sports does.

Primary day #1 (call it by region) 8 states
Primary day #2 8 states
Primary day #3 8 states

it should take 6 primaries day events to cover all 50 states. 6 months or 5 months process should be about right before the conventions.
55 areas...50 states...DC...Guam...PR...VI...AS

Old 09-15-2017, 11:58 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
How? The media keeps saying they give influence but I don't understand how... do people in another state vote based on what another state says? That seems a little dumb for people to do...
Whatever state that goes first will get the influence.

And the "influence" is that donors, activist, and even other politicians go to those states during the primaries. They are considered a proving ground for candidates speaking to middle america, for both that year and the next 4.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:03 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
One more thing: I'd not pick the leading primary states until mid January of the election year. That would keep the politicians unable to throw their maximum funding at the predictable early elections. Then I'd have two election groupings per month, from mid February through end of May.
That isnt going to work in states with local elections. They have to have time to print those primary ballots that will be specific to precincts, as well as you know, qualify the candidates.

the only states where that is going to work is the ones who hold separate presidential primaries.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:44 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
55 areas...50 states...DC...Guam...PR...VI...AS
Remember Barack Obama's 57 states?

All the territories you named plus:

56. Northern Marianas
57. Americans Abroad

Old 09-16-2017, 09:07 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,130 times
I said other - I'm not sure if they are done properly at the current moment considering what has happened in the past.

Remember when the Democrats had a thing with the primaries regarding a handful of states in 2008 in places like Michigan. That was total B.S. Same thing how in 2016 Ted Cruz got Colorado's nomination because the state delegates overrode it for him to go against Trump.

IMHO, ban the "Superdelegate" vote and keep the rolling voting day by state in tact. Impossible for the candidate to go around and campaign everywhere in favor of a one day vote, unless it's late going into the convention season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections