Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 06:15 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Why of course Richardson wants something: he wants to be with the winner! I also remember that Richardson was the one who defended Hillary when all those big bad men were ganging up on her....don't you?

You have a talent for posting that which is patently obvious.

Suggestion: why not join us in supporting Obama? That way, you can do something to help African-Americans achieve equality, and cement the youth vote for the Democrats. Then if Obama "doesn't deliver" (whatever that means) you can say "I told you so" to everyone.

Come on. Trade in that Clinton robotic walk for an Obama swagger.

Deal?
Oh, believe me, there would be PLENTY of room for "I told you sos" if he's elected. I'm remembering names here, hahahahahahaha. It would be GWB Part II and it has brought me SUCH joy to say, "Well, I didn't vote for him!" these past several years!

I've accepted the probability that Obama will be the nominee unless he says something really, really insulting and/or stupid in the coming months and the party has to cut him loose. The party likely isn't going to back her and risk causing a race riot. However, since I truly believe Hillary is the best candidate of the Final Three, I will probably write in her name in November. I'm not sure yet; I have to take a much closer look at McCain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Oh, believe me, there would be PLENTY of room for "I told you sos" if he's elected. I'm remembering names here, hahahahahahaha. It would be GWB Part II and it has brought me SUCH joy to say, "Well, I didn't vote for him!" these past several years!
It's instructive to encounter someone whose joy is composed of such things, and heartening to know that I have so little in common with her.

Quote:
I've accepted the probability that Obama will be the nominee unless he says something really, really insulting and/or stupid in the coming months and the party has to cut him loose. The party likely isn't going to back her and risk causing a race riot. However, since I truly believe Hillary is the best candidate of the Final Three, I will probably write in her name in November. I'm not sure yet; I have to take a much closer look at McCain.
Mrs. Clinton will appreciate your token support.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:29 PM

357 posts, read 891,199 times
Quote:
Indeed. One that's been around for a very long time. Ever hear of AmeriCorps or Teach for America? (Not to mention the Peace Corps.)
Quote:
While more than 500,000 people have served in AmeriCorps, the program turns away tens of thousands of applicants a year because of limited funding. Sen. Obama will expand AmeriCorps from 75,000 slots today to 250,000 and he will focus this expansion on addressing the great challenges facing the nation. He will establish a Classroom Corps to help teachers and students, with a priority placed on underserved schools; a Health Corps to improve public health outreach; a Clean Energy Corps to conduct weatherization and renewable energy projects; a Veterans Corps to assist veterans at hospitals, nursing homes and homeless shelters; and a Homeland Security Corps to help communities plan, prepare for and respond to emergencies.
-Source

Also, for integrating service into learning:
  • Require 100 Hours of Service in College: Obama will establish a new American Opportunity Tax Credit that is worth $4,000 a year in exchange for 100 hours of public service a year.
  • Promote College Serve-Study: Obama will ensure that at least 25 percent of College Work-Study funds are used to support public service opportunities instead of jobs in dining halls and libraries.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:32 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,871 times
Bill Clinton was the so called "risky" choice back in 92, and look what happened to him. Sure Obama may screw up in office, but then again so could Hillary and McCain.

I'm going laugh in the faces of Obama haters if he leaves office with approval ratings rivaling that of Bill's or surpassing his numbers. Oh that would truly be a wondrous day indeed.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:05 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,126 times
I know many African Americans will still vote even if their candidate Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama loses the nominee. They like both very well.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
I know many African Americans will still vote even if their candidate Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama loses the nominee. They like both very well.
Many democrats in general for that matter.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:15 PM

#33 -- Have you considered how we will PAY for all of that? (Please don't say through the savings from the Iraq War because withdrawal is going to be a slow and expensive enterprise for years.)

And have you also considered that adding all of these "corps" will take jobs away from other Americans, especially lower income folks? The jobs described are the type done by health aides, teacher aides, assistants, etc. This will have an impact on low-skill workers. And those "corps" jobs requiring expertise will take jobs away from middle-class workers, either through redundancies or through job creation specifically for the corps individuals. Neither would be good news for older Americans.

Do you recall the implementation of the Welfare-to-Work programs? There weren't enough jobs to fill, not enough people to supervise the workers, and, thus, it didn't work well. This expanded "corps" would be an even bigger juggernaut. Hasn't it occurred to Obama that the current program is the one that is WORKABLE and SUSTAINABLE?

Old 03-21-2008, 07:25 PM

A little Fiscal Responsibility goes a long way:
  • Reinstate PAYGO Rules: Obama believes that a critical step in restoring fiscal discipline is enforcing pay-as-you-go (PAYGO) budgeting rules which require new spending commitments or tax changes to be paid for by cuts to other programs or new revenue.
  • Reverse Bush Tax Cuts for the Wealthy: Obama will protect tax cuts for poor and middle class families, but he will reverse most of the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest taxpayers.
  • Cut Pork Barrel Spending: Obama introduced and passed bipartisan legislation that would require more disclosure and transparency for special-interest earmarks. Obama believes that spending that cannot withstand public scrutiny cannot be justified. Obama will slash earmarks to no greater than year 2001 levels and ensure all spending decisions are open to the public.
  • Make Government Spending More Accountable and Efficient: Obama will ensure that federal contracts over $25,000 are competitively bid. Obama will also increase the efficiency of government programs through better use of technology, stronger management that demands accountability and by leveraging the government's high-volume purchasing power to get lower prices.
  • End Wasteful Government Spending: Obama will stop funding wasteful, obsolete federal government programs that make no financial sense. Obama has called for an end to subsidies for oil and gas companies that are enjoying record profits, as well as the elimination of subsidies to the private student loan industry which has repeatedly used unethical business practices. Obama will also tackle wasteful spending in the Medicare program.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:34 PM

Lord have mercy, can't you just answer a question SPECIFICALLY and IN YOUR OWN WORDS instead of cutting and pasting huge blocks from Obama's website? I guess you're saying that he hasn't specifically said how he'd pay specifically for the expanded corps, huh?

Let me inject some reality here: We have a several trillion dollar deficit. We need to cut spending SUBSTANTIALLY and not add more expensive programs. Obama has said "Oh, well, if we can find the money for Iraq, we can find the money for other things!" WRONG, we're in DEBT over Iraq and we don't need MORE DEBT. Once a new program is started, it is extraordinarily difficult to pull the rug out from under it.

Secondly, he wants to introduce more spending based on his assumption that he will get everything he wants passed by Congress. It doesn't happen that way. Look at "Cut Pork Barrel Spending," for instance. You do know that this measure was REJECTED by Congress recently, right?

Dude, please think and don't just regurgitate.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Lord have mercy, can't you just answer a question SPECIFICALLY and IN YOUR OWN WORDS instead of cutting and pasting huge blocks from Obama's website?
Well, unlike most of the people on here, I'd like to base my answer on facts and not heresy or make-believe (read: Fox News). Since direct quotations are as accurate as you can get, I see it as a reasonable method of conveying facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections