Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 01:02 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
DeBlasio is much more unpopular in the city than you give him credit for. He even got boo-ed and heckled at his own rally recently. If Republicans had put up someone somewhat competent, they would have had a decent shot imo.
Lets be honest here. No supporter has ever gone to a rally and boo'ed there own guy. Even in the worst cases.

Anyone booing at a rally is not a supporter and likely came there either just to watch, or with the intention to cause trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 11:14 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
DeBlasio is much more unpopular in the city than you give him credit for. He even got boo-ed and heckled at his own rally recently. If Republicans had put up someone somewhat competent, they would have had a decent shot imo.
The #'s tell a different story. His #'s aren't great, but they aren't poor either. Even if the Republicans put up a serious challenger, the chances would have been remote. With that said, as mentioned the GOP bench right now is very weak, so they really don't even have anyone who could have seriously challenged De Blasio. A few years ago, former Congressman Grimm would have been the strongest potential challenger, but even he would have been a long shot, and that was before he had a felony conviction.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:53 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Maybe NYers don't care who is mayor

Old 10-15-2017, 03:01 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Watch Fox when they do a Watter's World feature. I think it's on Saturdays at 5pm EDT. Jesse Watters walks the streets of Manhattan asking basic current events or history questions.
That segment is so phony though, which is why they always leave any intelligent answer out. Just more biased presentation from our beautiful corporate media. However, if the network is going to pay me to sound stupid just to get some airtime, I will happily take the green stuff.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:44 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Another poster has the status, BlakeJones Malliotakis 2017, Vote Nicole for Mayor.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:49 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
The problem is people don't realize there's a problem and they won't until it's too late. DeBozo is slowly bankrupting NYC with massive new long term obligations (huge increases in bureaucrat payroll additions + pensions, not fighting lawsuits by settling every case with a big payout, blowing $580M on trying to salvage failing schools that were supposed to close that failed anyways, putting up homeless people in $200/night downtown hotels for weeks on end, and on and on...).

Giuliani cleaned up the city to make it safe and functional and Bloomberg turned it into a well oiled machine with a sustainable budget. In one fell swoop DeBozio is destroying both. He is instructing the NYPD not to push away the street beggars who then pee and crap all over the subways and make them unusable. He pardoned thousands of unfilled warrants and is no longer enforcing laws against public alcohol consumption, graffitti , public urination, fare beating. Quality of life is falling apart and it's only getting worse. Just wait until the crime spikes again and there's no money to fix anything. He was even on the record last week as saying in his world he would dictate what sort of home and income everyone has, he literally admitted to being a communist. What a f***ing a**hole

Old 10-17-2017, 10:07 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The problem is people don't realize there's a problem and they won't until it's too late. DeBozo is slowly bankrupting NYC with massive new long term obligations (huge increases in bureaucrat payroll additions + pensions, not fighting lawsuits by settling every case with a big payout, blowing $580M on trying to salvage failing schools that were supposed to close that failed anyways, putting up homeless people in $200/night downtown hotels for weeks on end, and on and on...).

Giuliani cleaned up the city to make it safe and functional and Bloomberg turned it into a well oiled machine with a sustainable budget. In one fell swoop DeBozio is destroying both. He is instructing the NYPD not to push away the street beggars who then pee and crap all over the subways and make them unusable. He pardoned thousands of unfilled warrants and is no longer enforcing laws against public alcohol consumption, graffitti , public urination, fare beating. Quality of life is falling apart and it's only getting worse. Just wait until the crime spikes again and there's no money to fix anything. He was even on the record last week as saying in his world he would dictate what sort of home and income everyone has, he literally admitted to being a communist. What a f***ing a**hole

The same argument was made four years ago about what would happen if De Blasio got elected. Guess what, crime isn't spiking and continued to decline

Old 10-17-2017, 10:09 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The same argument was made four years ago about what would happen if De Blasio got elected. Guess what, crime isn't spiking and continued to decline
Guess what, quality of life is going down in most facets of NYC life. How long before crime follows suit, you think crime will be kept down for much longer? I wish I could be so optimistic

Old 10-17-2017, 10:52 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times
Nicole is a pretty bad candidate. She has next to nothing in money. I'm not sure if she was able to get matching funds. I just saw a TV commercial for her candidacy two days ago for the first time and she has been in the running since Late May/Early June. She got beat up pretty bad in the debate simply because Dietl made it a spectacle and Big bird was to busy fighting him off so he ignored her much of the time. I have never seen candidates such non-factors in a major NYC Mayorial election.

The thing is that deBlasio won the last election with the lowest voter turnout in history. I think less people will vote this year as well. I feel like a lot of Republican and moderate Democrat New Yorkers have just given up. I can tell you that I am more or less here myself. As a life long New Yorker I find myself wanting to move out of NYC and go over to NJ. I am just tired of the BS here.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:55 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The GOP bench in NYC is paper thin. Donovan seems content that he is now in Congress, although Grimm is now out of jail and running for his old seat. Former Congressman Rob Turner won am unexpected Congressional race a few years ago for Weiner's seat, and has a top ranking position in the Queens GOP, but he is 76.

Grimm was probably the best positioned Republican a few years ago to run citywide, but is now a convicted felon
I would like to see Oddo make a run at some point. I have followed his career for years and he is a good man. He is a very active BP. He knows how to work with both sides of the aisle and he get's things done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections