Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:29 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flindras View Post
Because water seeks its own level.

and what level is that??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 08:32 PM

775 posts, read 579,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
To understand one another you would have to walk the many miles of that individual's life and we know this cannot happen, so I give up on trying to make others understand. There is no compassion nor is there any love in many of these threads that I observe. I hear blame, hate, non-intelligent responses, and intolerance. I am guilty for some as well-depending on my mental state.

We will never move completely forward because of lack of understanding about the hateful experience of men before our present generations. Those who choose to not understand the history of how slavery has been ingrained in our being (soul) and how we function because of it physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually are ones that will continue to attack our genuine thoughts, feelings, and reactions to it. It has created a mental and emotional bankruptcy for many blacks. Now rather you understand that or not is null and void, but I have seen the people perish because of it. Are present generations responsible? Well that is left to one's own understanding of their individual experiences and beliefs.

We have taken precautions and have spoken very ill for those who attacked America and it's people on the one day of 911, yet when African-Americans or blacks express their ongoing mental status regarding their years of slavery or connections to it's history-it is to be disregarded and looked upon as non-existent or the attitude prevails which speaks to "just get over it."

The black church was an institution that promoted our emotional and mental well-being and started our black colleges, and many other landmark events came out of this great institution. Not only Dr. King, but many others who came before him. I will not let one preacher with a few others that express their pain destroy my devotion, and loyalty to those who were profound leaders in this great institution that saved a many of us from perishing and destroying our soul man.

The Rev.Wright is full of pain and I can understand his pain, it does not make it right for him to spew the words of anger as he has done, but I can relate mentally to his pain as a black man. Evidently there is a mental issue involved with his behavior. He is a man-flesh and blood firstly, extreme pain shown for the world to see. His stories, his family stories, and his present state regarding the plight of the black man here in America is what fuels his hurt-which in turn has been looked at has unfavorable, but as a black woman I know the pain of the black man-it is great and I am not asking for anyone outside of my race to understand anymore. It is to deep seated and very difficult to embrace mentally when you have not witnessed their individual lives.We know that he has done a wealth of good for people in his years of being a pastor, but his pain is showing up from the present and from his past life events-unfortunately.

I too understand how many whites have expressed their non-understanding of how blacks continue to live in the past and this is only because you cannot walk in the lives of an African-American/Black man and believe me you would not want to for many of them. His hopelessness is overwhelming and this speaks to some of those that are successful as well. Some days I am so angry at him for just not getting over it, and many other days my heart just bleeds for him and his ongoing struggle. I ask GOD daily when will the scars of slavery really become a minor memory in the black man's mind and when will he truly not be limited by the ugly memories etched in those brain cells of his. Just my thoughts this evening.
You took quite a bit of time to write an excellent post. No matter the honest attempt you make to explain, they don't want to know. THAT is the problem even more than Wright's utterances, because what he says holds no threat in transforming whites to think as he does, but ignoring the history as you explained it, is the real sin and the greater problem.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
and what level is that??
Level of thinking.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:40 PM

558 posts, read 385,643 times
Quote:
To understand one another you would have to walk the many miles of that individual's life and we know this cannot happen, so I give up on trying to make others understand. There is no compassion nor is there any love in many of these threads that I observe. I hear blame, hate, non-intelligent responses, and intolerance. I am guilty for some as well-depending on my mental state.

We will never move completely forward because of lack of understanding about the hateful experience of men before our present generations. Those who chose to not understand the history of how slavery has been ingrained in our being (soul) and how we function because of it physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually are ones that will continue to attack our genuine thoughts, feelings, and reactions to it. It has created a mental and emotional bankruptcy for many blacks. Now rather you understand that or not is null and void, but I have seen the people perish because of it. Are present generations responsible? Well that is left to one's own understanding of their individual experiences and beliefs.

We have taken precautions and have spoken very ill for those who attacked America and it's people on the one day of 911, yet when African-Americans or blacks express their ongoing mental status regarding their years of slavery or connections to it's history-it is to be disregarded and looked upon as non-existent or the attitude prevails which speaks to "just get over it."

The black church was an institution that promoted our emotional and mental well-being and started our black colleges, and many other landmark events came out of this great institution. Not only Dr. King, but many others who came before him. I will not let one preacher with a few others that express their pain destroy my devotion, and loyalty to those who were profound leaders in this great institution that saved a many of us from perishing and destroying our soul man.

The Rev.Wright is full of pain and I can understand his pain, it does not make it right for him to spew the words of anger as he has done, but I can relate mentally to his pain as a black man. Evidently there is a mental issue involved with his behavior. He is a man-flesh and blood firstly, extreme pain shown for the world to see. His stories, his family stories, and his present state regarding the plight of the black man here in America is what fuels his hurt-which in turn has been looked at has unfavorable, but as a black woman I know the pain of the black man-it is great and I am not asking for anyone outside of my race to understand anymore. It is to deep seated and very difficult to embrace mentally when you have not witnessed their individual lives.We know that he has done a wealth of good for people in his years of being a pastor, but his pain is showing up from the present and from his past life events-unfortunately.

I too understand how many whites have expressed their non-understanding of how blacks continue to live in the past and this is only because you cannot walk in the lives of an African-American/Black man and believe me you would not want to for many of them. His hopelessness is overwhelming and this speaks to some of those that are successful as well. Some days I am so angry at him for just not getting over it, and many other days my heart just bleeds for him and his ongoing struggle. I ask GOD daily when will the scars of slavery really become a minor memory in the black man's mind and when will he truly not be limited by the ugly memories etched in those brain cells of his. Just my thoughts this evening.
That was amazing. I hope many people read your blog and hopefully open there eyes which they chose to have shut. I am Hispanic of Spaniard, Native Indian (Taino Indian) and African descent. I can not imagine how hard it must be to a black man in this society. But I know, that my great-great grandparents were slaves in the Carribean. And I could only imagine what horrible things they experienced. America has a long and still fresh history. The scar remains deep to this day. But, we can hope that it will only get better. And Obama is that hope.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:42 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,651 times
This is getting absurd... now Obama is a hero because he wrote a great speech about racism in America. What else could he have done... he got caught... it was his only approach to save himself and it actually worked on a few people. You know what they say... "A sucker on every corner". Like I said before... you would also write a great speech if your life depended on it and it was a good speech... very intelligent and very manipulating too. I guess the next chant will be "NOT THIS TIME".

Old 03-18-2008, 08:43 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Quote:

We will never move completely forward because of lack of understanding about the hateful experience of men before our present generations. Those who choose to not understand the history of how slavery has been ingrained in our being (soul) and how we function because of it physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually are ones that will continue to attack our genuine thoughts, feelings, and reactions to it. It has created a mental and emotional bankruptcy for many blacks. Now rather you understand that or not is null and void, but I have seen the people perish because of it. Are present generations responsible? Well that is left to one's own understanding of their individual experiences and beliefs.

Well thought out and insightfull, kudos

Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
This is getting absurd... now Obama is a hero because he wrote a great speech about racism in America. What else could he have done... he got caught... it was his only approach to save himself and it actually worked on a few people. You know what they say... "A sucker on every corner". Like I said before... you would also write a great speech if your life depended on it and it was a good speech... very intelligent and very manipulating too. I guess the next chant will be "NOT THIS TIME".
NOT REALLY. Because others who have gotten caught have never done what Obama did today -- spoke directly to a controversial issue with courage. You know any other politician who has done that?

Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
Yes MLK had a dream. Obama is living the dream.
MLK did far more than Dream. He died at age 39 but he lived more of a life than most men would in 100 years. He has more honors and accomplishments than any other Civil Rights Activist I am aware of. Pacem in Terris Award, American Liberties Medallion, Margaret Sanger Award, Marcus Garvey Award, Presidential Medal of Freedom, and the Nobel Peace Prize. He made a speech on the march to Washington that will stand for the ages..he made a speech the night of his assassination knowing full well it was coming. Speeches that will be remembered as ones made out of free will and pure spirit.

It would do well for those who speak of angerness and bitterness to reread his "Dream" speech for guidance. I find it to be the most inspirational speech made in the 20th century, followed closely by JFK's inaugural speech.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
And you are the problem that our nation faces today. People who are like horses with blinders on. You only see in straight, but not to the sides. Therefore, you will never see the whole picture. He wasn't "caught". Obama wasn't present at the time of those recordings. And the Hillary camp's trick has worked. Because that's all you focus on.

And let's say what you say is true. He made this speech to save his behind. Ok, let's assume that. It still doesn't take away the eloquence and meaning of his speech. The body and message of his speech.

It's over-zealous Hillary supporters like you the reason she CAN NOT BE ELECTED as president of the United States. This country will not heal and move forward. It will be politics as usual.

If she wins the nomination, I will vote for McCain, as well as 20% of Democratics according to the lastest poll. And you talk about electibility?

With supporters that play the race card and down play a man who is making history is bad for our country.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
MLK did far more than Dream. He died at age 39 but he lived more of a life than most men would in 100 years. He has more honors and accomplishments than any other Civil Rights Activist I am aware of. Pacem in Terris Award, American Liberties Medallion, Margaret Sanger Award, Marcus Garvey Award, Presidential Medal of Freedom, and the Nobel Peace Prize. He made a speech on the march to Washington that will stand for the ages..he made a speech the night of his assassination knowing full well it was coming. Speeches that will be remembered as ones made out of free will and pure spirit.

It would do well for those who speak of angerness and bitterness to reread his "Dream" speech for guidance. I find it to be the most inspirational speech made in the 20th century, followed closely by JFK's inaugural speech.
MLK is proud today of Obama. Obama's opportunity today to run for President and be viable is what MLK fought and struggled for.

And so it will go down in history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections