Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 10:28 AM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times

Advertisements

Uh, the reverse logic of some of the cons here is astounding.

If leftists ruined the economy of Virginia, housing prices and prices of everything else would go down, not up. If the cost of everything in Virginia is going up, that's because it's booming, not getting ruined.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:29 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Wrong, this just shows how right wing you are
When you're a far right extremist, you view all centrist liberals as "far left". Democrats have barely changed since the 90s, except with perhaps a slight leftward tilt with the rise of Bernie and Elizabeth Warren over the last couple years. It's the Republicans that have been yanked further and further to the right since 2008.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:40 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Get real. Holding a blue state (and Virginia cannot seriously be called a swing state anymore) and regaining an even bluer state in NJ is not impressive. To think otherwise is delusional. As I mentioned before, its only "newsworthy" that a Republican wins statewide in NJ (and now VA). A Dem winning there is the expectation. This is not to say that Dems will not have a landslide victory in 2018, but those victories definitely aren't signs of things to come.
Hence the ironic nature of my post.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:49 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Uh, the reverse logic of some of the cons here is astounding.

If leftists ruined the economy of Virginia, housing prices and prices of everything else would go down, not up. If the cost of everything in Virginia is going up, that's because it's booming, not getting ruined.
Ah, I'm not surprised that went over your head. Booming for those who can afford it while crushing to the middle class is how much of leftist America works. San Francisco, NYC, and other leftist cities and states were once much more friendly to the middle class in terms of affordability. But with rent control, higher taxes, and crushing regulations, these cities and states become affordable only to the very rich or to the very poor who can take advantage of social programs, etc. That's the point and the fear.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:37 PM

I hear West Virginia and Mississippi are friendly for the middle class.

Have fun! Just be careful of the meth heads and opiod addicts.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
San Francisco, NYC, and other leftist cities and states were once much more friendly to the middle class in terms of affordability.
You know what? You are right. New York in the 70's was much more affordable for the middle class, for example. Gee, I wonder why.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
You know what? You are right. New York in the 70's was much more affordable for the middle class, for example. Gee, I wonder why.
You don't have to go to the crack infested days of the 1970s. The 1990s were even much more affordable (you were still able to buy row homes near downtown Brooklyn for under $200,000, for instance, as my parents did. While there were some market forces at play, in increased taxes and burdensome regulations didn't and aren't helping either.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:48 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Its absolutely does just that. I referenced VA's blue trend as starting with the age of Obama, particularly for presidential elections and gubernatorial elections. That's almost a decade now. And the point is that MI has swung at the presidential level (2016), while VA has not for the last 3 cycles; of course, MI, while solidly blue at the presidential level until this past cycle, is more of a purple state at the gubernatorial level. If you're being conservative, VA hasn't been favorable for Republicans since the prior cycle to this year (2013); of course, I'll go back one cycle before that. Hence, I repeat: the state, while not as blue on the margins as some states are red on the margins, is still very hostile to Republicans winning statewide office. The fact that Dems may only win statewide in VA between 3-5% as a general matter doesn't mean that its actually competitive. Given the electoral dynamics of the state, it is expected that a Dem will win statewide over a Republican.
Except, in 2009, Virginia elected a Republican as Governor, not a Democrat. So even your talking point by itself is wrong.

If you define Michigan as Purple, which had a much larger margin of Victory for the Democrat in just 2012, then you have to define Virginia as the same.

What you should have argued ( which would actually be a good point if you did it)is swing state vs elastic voters.

Virginia is by every definition, a swing state, since there are enough republicans here that they can win the state if they pushed turnout on there side, but down on the Democratic side, but those voters are not "swing voters"

Virginians are either Dems or Republicans, they dont really switch over. Its a turnout game more than changing minds. but it is indeed competitive as the voters are there, they just choose not to vote.

Michigan has actual swing voters. You can change minds and win.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I hear West Virginia and Mississippi are friendly for the middle class.

Have fun! Just be careful of the meth heads and opiod addicts.
I wouldn't mind living in West Virginia, Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana, etc.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:51 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Very true. Its a shame, too, how these leftists move into VA in large part because of how Republican/conservative governments' work to make the state more affordable (lower taxes, fewer regulations and red tape, etc.), only to vote in their fellow leftist brethren who will go the opposite way, thereby making the cost of living in VA more expensive. They're like locusts, bringing destruction wherever they go.

LOL, we already talked about how this is wrong. the people who move to Virginia are from the 3 states touching it, with Florida being next. If these people are liberal, they are Southern Liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections