Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 02:20 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,026,930 times

Advertisements

HOW can the media get away with this! Obama's mother is white, father is black, and they choose black for the label. I call this discrimination and no credit where credit is due. Just you wait and see! If this "Black" candidate finally makes it to the "Black House", and he doesn't deliver on his lofty promises of change within the critical first 100 days, only THEN, will the media and his ardent supporters start labeling him bi-racial. And THEN, if there's no delivery of those promises of change after 6 months, then they'll be labeling him "white trash"? If I was running for office and my mother was German and my father was Mexican, what kind of label would you throw at me? Would there be a hyphen between the labels or would you just pick and choose? And what if my mother was of Russian heritage, my father of Japanese heritage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 04:02 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,168,250 times
From the statements I've read the media and Obama himself have proclaimed him to be the first viable black presidential candidate.
He seems to be comfortable with that and it doesn't seem to me to be just a media label.
His own statement has been whether he or Hillary win the presidential election, history will be made. Meaning the first female or the first African American.
He stands by that. it isn't a media creation in and of itself.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:09 AM

16 posts, read 47,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
HOW can the media get away with this! Obama's mother is white, father is black, and they choose black for the label. I call this discrimination and no credit where credit is due. Just you wait and see! If this "Black" candidate finally makes it to the "Black House", and he doesn't deliver on his lofty promises of change within the critical first 100 days, only THEN, will the media and his ardent supporters start labeling him bi-racial. And THEN, if there's no delivery of those promises of change after 6 months, then they'll be labeling him "white trash"? If I was running for office and my mother was German and my father was Mexican, what kind of label would you throw at me? Would there be a hyphen between the labels or would you just pick and choose? And what if my mother was of Russian heritage, my father of Japanese heritage?
I here what your sayin. They have a "just one drop" rule so like if your just one drop of black your black. Goes back to the jim crow laws and all that, then when you say america is run by rich white racists they all like "no no no, thats not true" but it is.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Yet Bill Clinton proclaimed himself to be the first black president -- no one questioned that.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:58 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,369,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yet Bill Clinton proclaimed himself to be the first black president -- no one questioned that.
I don't think Clinton ever said that about himself. I think it was said about him.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:03 PM

16 posts, read 47,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Bill Clinton is black like Obama is swedish. Clinton aint no black man just some rich white guy trying to walk the walk but we all know whats really up!

Old 03-20-2008, 07:08 PM

558 posts, read 385,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So what am I? I have White, Black and Native Indian blood? Hummm...I can't ever run for President, becasue I wouldn't want to confuse you. LOL

Old 03-20-2008, 07:18 PM

7,924 posts, read 9,148,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
So what am I? I have White, Black and Native Indian blood? Hummm...I can't ever run for President, becasue I wouldn't want to confuse you. LOL
Lets see...using the Crayola method...white +black= brown + red = purple?

Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
From the statements I've read the media and Obama himself have proclaimed him to be the first viable black presidential candidate.
He seems to be comfortable with that and it doesn't seem to me to be just a media label.
His own statement has been whether he or Hillary win the presidential election, history will be made. Meaning the first female or the first African American.
He stands by that. it isn't a media creation in and of itself.
The media has an obligation to be accurate and state the facts. By labeling him black is not being accurate and stating the facts. If he had chosen the other half of his heritage and run for office claiming he's white, there'd be an outcry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections