Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you favor?
Roy Moore 33 28.45%
Doug Jones 83 71.55%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 11:52 AM

20,867 posts, read 23,395,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
The numbers don't lie. The black voters really came through and made it happen. I thank the black voters.

I shake my damn head at the amount of old white folks, ESPECIALLY WOMEN, that voted to support Moore.

Sexual assault accusations aside, the man was a horrible candidate.

He may not have been proven guilty in a court of law for his issues, but people can freely judge his character without a court. Dude is a dirtbag.

I am thrilled that Alabama did the right thing. I am sad that the margin wasn't larger. There's still a long way to grow, apparently.
I agree with you 100%. I am so glad Jones won.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:06 PM

36,819 posts, read 18,729,643 times
Moore still refuses to concede. My, what a damned whiner this snowflake is. It must have really come as a shock to him to find out God is a Black woman in Alabama.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...26579f881108d6

Old 12-14-2017, 12:13 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,098,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Nothing. And pretty much the same with Doug Jones. To break it down, Nothing = Nothing. Everyone wins/loses.

But at least Alabama doesn't have to bear the embarrassment of voting in a pervert that thinks slavery and restricting the vote to white males only wasn't that bad.

But that's the thing. It is no great surprise that black voters did not vote for Roy Moore (in fact, I am surprised that the black vote was not 100%); the surprise is that the margin of white voters was as large as it was.

A surprisingly large portion of white voters were disgusted enough with Moore's perversion and blasé attitude towards slavery and equality that they willingly voted in a man who supports the 'wanton murder of babies'.
This note of history definitely helped Doug Jones.

How Doug Jones Brought KKK Church Bombers to Justice - History in the Headlines

Old 12-14-2017, 12:31 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,439,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapilot View Post
Why hasnt anyone talking about how bad is the democrat party to lose someone with as much controversy around him as Roy Moore. The doug jones campaign was comically bad, that campaign poster was absurd. Whats going to be the democrat excuse for losing in 2018 and the ability to filibuster, they keep losing and losing and its going be all three branches absolutely dominated by republicans
The South has been known to vote AGAINST their interests. Not necessarily entirely the dem's fault. Kind of like raising kids, hoping they make right decisions, and learns from their mistakes. If they STILL won't learn and grow, then you could say you tried, and there's only so much you could do [shrug]

Old 12-14-2017, 01:05 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,439,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
I hope people who vote for democrats enjoy higher taxes, higher cost of living, protecting illegal immigrants and letting criminals off the hook.
I hope the people who voted for Moore will still get to enjoy the benefits of a public service employee who won't sell out their interests to corporations, will fight for justice on THEIR behalf, and make improvements they can enjoy.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Status: "Repub's IVF ruling is anti-family and anti-America" (set 1 day ago)

5,781 posts, read 3,561,767 times
Yes, Moore couldn't have won without the Black vote. But that alone was not enough - especially in an election this close (1.5% margin of victory for Jones). LOTS of different disaffected groups combined to stop Moore, so let's not dismiss the others, especially if it's obvious the Blacks themselves couldn't have done it on their own.

Disaffected Republicans : The ones who either stayed home, wrote in "Nick Saban" or "My Dear Aunt Sally" or held their nose and voted for Jones. This includes people of all education levels and college students and university faculty who despise Moore. Even rock solid fortresses of Republicanism like Shelby Co. had much less support for Moore than Trump. Without Shelby's dropoff, Jones would have lost. This isn't an electoral college situation where only the votes in your jurisdiction count. Speaking of which, the write-ins: presumably the great majority of them were from republicans. If those write-ins voted for Moore instead, Moore would have won.

White liberals, even if they likely only 10% or so of the white population, which is maybe 7 to 7.5% of the total population. Yes, they would have voted for Jones / against Moore anyway, but so would 80 to 90% of the blacks. So that counterargument cancels out the black efforts.

Point being: stopping Moore took the disgusted staying at home AND the votes of blacks and whites, men and women, educated and uneducated - all who refused to endorse a theocratic bigoted pedophile like Moore. All assigning credit or blame does is fuel further resentments - especially among conservatives who did their part.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:58 PM

29,382 posts, read 16,289,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
How do you gerrymander a State??
Im surprised no republican has ever argued that governors should be chosen by House or Senate districts.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:24 PM

11,989 posts, read 5,233,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Yes, Moore couldn't have won without the Black vote. But that alone was not enough - especially in an election this close (1.5% margin of victory for Jones). LOTS of different disaffected groups combined to stop Moore, so let's not dismiss the others, especially if it's obvious the Blacks themselves couldn't have done it on their own.

Disaffected Republicans : The ones who either stayed home, wrote in "Nick Saban" or "My Dear Aunt Sally" or held their nose and voted for Jones. This includes people of all education levels and college students and university faculty who despise Moore. Even rock solid fortresses of Republicanism like Shelby Co. had much less support for Moore than Trump. Without Shelby's dropoff, Jones would have lost. This isn't an electoral college situation where only the votes in your jurisdiction count. Speaking of which, the write-ins: presumably the great majority of them were from republicans. If those write-ins voted for Moore instead, Moore would have won.A lot of establishment Republican/Richard Shelby voters in Shelby county.

White liberals, even if they likely only 10% or so of the white population, which is maybe 7 to 7.5% of the total population. Yes, they would have voted for Jones / against Moore anyway, but so would 80 to 90% of the blacks. So that counterargument cancels out the black efforts.

Point being: stopping Moore took the disgusted staying at home AND the votes of blacks and whites, men and women, educated and uneducated - all who refused to endorse a theocratic bigoted pedophile like Moore. All assigning credit or blame does is fuel further resentments - especially among conservatives who did their part.
You nailed it. Shelby county was a disaster for Moore. He got about 36,000 fewer votes there than Trump got last year while Doug Jones got 4,000 more than Hillary for a 40,000 vote swing in just that one county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections