Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 05:12 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Obama helps fund programs for coal miners which Trump is considering ending in order to fund military spending.

Its programs, some launched under Democratic former President Barack Obama, are expected to create or retain more than 23,670 jobs and train and educate over 49,000 students and workers, the organization said.
Trump seeks to ax Appalachia economic programs, causing worry in coal country
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...KBN16N2VF?il=0

Obama brought healthcare coverage to people that hadn't had it before. More than 80% of the people on Obamacare are in Trump states.
More Than 80 Percent Of Obamacare Enrollees Live In Trump-Won States – Talking Points Memo

Obama tried to pass an infrastructure bill but Republicans refused due to the deficit - only to want to pass a tax program that increases the deficit by $1.4 Trillion and now wanting to introduce an infrastructure bill.

What goes around comes around and the same laughter Trump supporters have will only come back with greater vitriol from Democrats in the future. The accusations from Trump supporters were simply not true, just like Trump saying Obama was a Kenyan Muslim. I do think less of flyover country after the election of Trump, but at this point, I think it's best to peacefully divorce and regionalize. The two halves simply detest each other and there's no coming back from it.

Do you have any idea how miniscule those numbers are? I could fill those slots up just out of 5 or 6 counties in Pennsylvania and still have tens of thousands on a wait list.

As far as this humongous additional debt being created goes, there are numerous facets of this tax bill I disagree with. The jury is still out on the long term impact on us but I think that you're being incredibly disingenuous complaining about a $1.4T increase over ten years when we just left an eight year period when it increased by somewhere around $9T.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:15 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmillion83 View Post
How do you see that working out? Create borders within the US? It's sad because the goal is to bring the country together but that won't happen when others will simply not listen to the other side of the argument.
I think blue states will start doing business more exclusively with other blue states, hiring employees from other blue states, etc. Red states consider college education "elitist" so this will become easier to do. Red states will likely do the same and likely over time (or maybe faster) this will get easier. It was Republicans that screamed state's rights and now blue states are agreeing wholeheartedly. Truly, the hatred is so intense, it will be best for everyone to just separate. I don't think it's sad anymore, I think it's healthier. The two sides have extremely different priorities and absolutely nothing in common.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:24 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Do you have any idea how miniscule those numbers are? I could fill those slots up just out of 5 or 6 counties in Pennsylvania and still have tens of thousands on a wait list.

As far as this humongous additional debt being created goes, there are numerous facets of this tax bill I disagree with. The jury is still out on the long term impact on us but I think that you're being incredibly disingenuous complaining about a $1.4T increase over ten years when we just left an eight year period when it increased by somewhere around $9T.
Yes I do. The entire coal industry only employs fewer than 80,000 people!!! Solar energy employs more than oil, coal and gas combined.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7541971.html

"Although 76,000 might seem like a large number, consider that similar numbers of people are employed by, say, the bowling (69,088) and skiing (75,036) industries. Other dwindling industries, such as travel agencies (99,888 people), employ considerably more. Used-car dealerships provide 138,000 jobs. Theme parks provide nearly 144,000. Carwash employment tops 150,000"

The entire coal industry employs fewer people than Arby’s
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e098f8b8088e

The Republican Party refused to help this country with infrastructure jobs DURING A RECESSION because of the deficit. For eight years it was all about the deficit. Then they come into power and the first bill they pass increases the deficit by $1.4 Trillion. Never again should this country listen to Republicans even say the word deficit. Never again.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:32 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Why are Trumplings still obsessed over an election that happened in 2016? Oh yeah, it's all they have. They know it won't be repeated in 2020.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:39 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
Oh come on... lol

It was the never before seen level of emotional drama that was so funny.

Reminded me of a Sicilian funeral with all of the melodrama.

Have a sense of humor.

Yeah. Just as funny as Trump insisting that his inauguration attendance was the biggest in history. Both sides were and are self absorbed egomaniacs.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:16 PM

1,018 posts, read 511,423 times
Quote:
So glad Trump supporters get such joy at the distress of over half the country. They will be all the more understanding when the same happens to them in the future and Democrats laugh with glee not just that day but in the years following. Slow motion videos of Trump moving out of our White House with music playing Happy Days are Here Again, etc. will all be well-deserved because besides the country splitting irretrievably, the level of hostility has increased a thousand fold in the past twelve months. Trump supporters should remember all of this for when it comes back at them. Trump won by 70,000 votes in three states combined and lost the popular vote by 3 million. Remember all this when we're laughing back with equal or greater hostility.
For the billionth time, the popular vote hold no merit in elections. Why weren't you complaining when Obama lost the popular vote to Hillary in 2008? Hillary was chosen "by the will of the democrats" in 2008. Would you be saying the same if Hillary lost the popular vote by 3 million but won The Electoral College? Like teaching a 4 year old.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:18 PM

1,018 posts, read 511,423 times
Quote:
Do all the opioid addicts in Appalachia and the Rust Belt have felony records? Aren't heroin and opioids illegal? Sounds like they should all lose their voting rights.

If this is the "single most essential difference between the two sides of our current polarization" (I don't believe it is), I personally believe there should be opportunities for felons to regain their rights based on an agreed upon criteria. One would think Christians who believe in rebirth and forgiveness would agree but this goes further to the motivation of making ex-felons successful tax paying members of society rather than permanent drags on society. I wonder how many homeless people in tents are felons who simply have not been able to secure solid employment.

I believe our current polarization has nothing to do with this. It started with Newt Gingrich when Clinton was in office. It got worse when Bush was elected by the Supreme Court by stopping a vote recount. It got even worse when Obama was elected and Republicans went full on insane, then elected a man that ran on calling Obama a Muslim Kenyan. Now Democrats will oppose anything Trump and the GOP do. There really is no going back because both sides of the country detest each other. IMO the country will regionalize in what is hopefully an amicable divorce. There is just too much hate and this thread is an excellent example of that.
Do all the Meth and Heroin addicts on the West Coast have felony records?

Old 12-24-2017, 09:53 PM

91 posts, read 49,190 times
Good times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT0Rjc6jKCg

Old 12-24-2017, 09:58 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
I guess it’s good for a laugh for some. I just wonder what we’re doing to prevent a repeat of the past with our elections. Anybody know? I guess you won’t get a straight answer from the LiAR IN CHIEF...

Old 12-24-2017, 10:45 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmillion83 View Post
How do you see that working out? Create borders within the US? It's sad because the goal is to bring the country together but that won't happen when others will simply not listen to the other side of the argument.
We already know your guys' version of "bringing the country together"; you want the liberals to lose and everyone to become conservative.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections