Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 08:22 PM

1,018 posts, read 504,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
I think he would do better in the Asian vote in a second go around but not with black or Hispanic
Maybe the Asian vote, but I think the only group he would do good with would be young white millennials. Older whites, blacks, and hispanics he would have a hard time with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 09:36 AM

5,230 posts, read 6,149,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Sanders got destroyed in the Deep South because of the minority vote. So it's not a media myth .

What likely happened is that your poll is surveying minorities in Michigan and not Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee.
Sanders big problem was that he didn't have a presence or existing relationships when those Southern state primaries started rolling along. Clinton had the backing of almost all of the top black legislators in those states. You are not going to see the establishment as perfectly aligned to one candidate in 2020 and Bernie has only built recognition over the last two years. The other quirk is a lot of people felt they had to vote for the more electable candidate... which turned out to have been a giant miscalculation.

To be honest I think if Biden enters he will roll through a primary. But I also think Sanders will see an uptick in minority support. Much of Clinton's support was of the vote with your head not your heart variety and plenty of people still feel plenty burned over that. The Clinton's also let it be known in 2008 and 2016 that any opposition would be noted and repaid- Bill actually actively campaigned for her supporters and for the opponents to people who supported Obama over her.

The more interesting matchups will be if Warner or Harris enter the race. I just do not see Booker as the primetime candidate everyone else does.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:01 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,874,910 times
It was never about Bernie.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:55 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,896,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Minority voters knew who he was, we chose to support Hillary Clinton over him.

And to be clear, Clinton had between 78% and 92% approval from African Americans when they were running against each other. So he still to this day hadn't gotten to her popularity.

And Clinton at her height had a 66% approval, overall 90% within the party .

He has a ways to go before he gets true front runner status especially since Joe Biden is already beating him in head to head polls
Not true. Polls show that huge numbers of minority voters did not know who he was. This idea that minorities dislike Sanders was a big media myth. Very few minorities actively disapprove of Sanders. The "dont know" group was very large in the primary unlike the situation with Hillary, as almost everyone knew who she was. Wall Street democrats have a huge advantage in terms of name recognition, but that doesnt mean they are actually as popular as people try to portray.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:01 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,896,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
He also got destroyed in the white vote over 30, the black, hispanic, and asian vote.
Thats impossible, given that he got 46% of the delegates. He would get 5% of the delegates if that were true.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:41 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,110,615 times
Quote:
Bernie has no chance at winning a Dem primary
If we've learned anything from Donald Trump and Barack Obama, it's you should never count anyone out prior to the primaries. Long shots, dark horses, and unknowns can and do win.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:41 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,932,209 times
Quote:
I am surprised that there are some liberals that think so

regardless of any DNC bias, Bernie did horribly with minority voters and older voters during the primaries. You need those voters to win important states.

If he ran in 2020 he would lose the minority voters to Cory Booker or Kamala Harris or Oprah

Bernie has no chance at winning a Dem primary
Bernie Sanders is not a populist and shares similar nationalist sentiments as Donald Trump. Also Bernie Sanders main concern was the the white working class which voted for him in large numbers in much. Did you notice a pattern that in the states that run Trump in the presidency voted for Bernie against Hillary during the primaries. Bernie did not do well with immigrants, Jews, black women, and intelligentsia hubs of NYC, DC Boston, LA and SF regions. Jews, Black women, intelligentsia and immigrants went overwhelmingly for Hillary Clinton and thus carried her to victory over Bernie Sanders.

Certain degree I'm pro immigrant, I love Jews and I love black women. However I did support nationalistic rhetoric of both Bernie and Trump. I did not vote for Hillary, and I felt Bernie was cheated. Bernie main concern was the white working class men who have been sidelined by neoliberal white supremacist policies that destroyed their communities starting with Reagan era presidency. Should Bernie run again? NO. He is too old. The elections is 2 years away, and the democrats are divided into multiple camps. One camp is the SJW, while the other is the neoliberal corporate educated elitist. The moderate democrat such as myself and millions of others left the party either becoming independent or joining the alt-right movement. The moderate democrats wanted Bernie badly, but did not get him. Now the party is mainly divided up by Sjws and corporate elitist.

Bernie could have won if he did a better job Pandering to black population. BLM took over his stage in Seattle, BLM destroyed Bernie platform by making themselves victims against populist that they surrounded. That image probably chased away blacks from voting for Bernie, especially black women.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:43 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,932,209 times
Quote:
I think he would do better in the Asian vote in a second go around but not with black or Hispanic
Hispanics and Asians do not vote in large numbers, especially if they are not full citizens. IF you want to win any election. It is best to pander to Jews and blacks for votes. Both demographics vote in large numbers. I do hope another populist can enter the democrat party and put shame to SJWs and corporate elites.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:45 PM

15,574 posts, read 10,284,593 times
the question could be moot. Bernie sanders is so old he could be dead in three years. the average male lifespan in the us is 75.5 years. Bernie is 76.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:11 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,378,531 times
Recent head to head match-ups do not show Bernie beating Trump. They do show Oprah beating Trump - whatever that says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections