Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 05:18 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanMarcs View Post
Scott is popular but Nelson is popular too, trump and his government are very unpopular now in Florida, this damages the republican ambitions in the state and we can not forget that florida is receiving many new voters. All this people coming from puerto rico .. I would not have so much sure that the GOP will do well in the state
Scott should be in jail and everyone knows it.

He's anti-environment, which is really stupid in FL where the water has already begun rising. He'll get the religious right northern FL vote, but he is not popular in South FL, where he is seen as a phony politician who barely avoided jail time for ripping off Medicare.

That drilling stunt he and Trump just pulled will not help him either. He's never spoken out against drilling and couldn't care less about our environment. Nelson has opposed drilling for years and years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 05:35 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Arpaio = Moore. Does the GOP learn that lesson or not? (The (D)'s have not learned any).

Not close. Arpaio won many times in Az with ease, and has none of the baggage regarding relationships Moore had.

This is the same style premature celebration Dems were having over HRC 14 months ago.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:40 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Not close. Arpaio won many times in Az with ease, and has none of the baggage regarding relationships Moore had.
Moore had won previously also.

Quote:
This is the same style premature celebration Dems were having over HRC 14 months ago.
I thought Trump had a chance as I saw him possibly winning PA and Michigan. Besides that, I am not a (D) so whatever they did is irrelevant to what I have to say.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Moore had won previously also.

Not as easily. Arpaio could easily have been Az governor, had he chosen that path.

He has been consistently underestimated, and won anyway, many times.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I thought Trump had a chance as I saw him possibly winning PA and Michigan. Besides that, I am not a (D) so whatever they did is irrelevant to what I have to say.
I knew he would win, when it tightened up. But I was amongst the few who knew 51 elections were taking place, not 1.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:09 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:

Arpaio was beaten really badly last time in Maricopa County. If he can't win there he can't win anywhere in AZ.

Moore had also won in AL with ease.

If anything Arpaio has even worse baggage than Moore. If Arpaio gets the nomination than Sinema wins by a landslide. (OTOH if McSally wins the primary it becomes a closer race)

Old 01-22-2018, 06:12 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Not as easily. Arpaio could easily have been Az governor, had he chosen that path.

He has been consistently underestimated, and won anyway, many times.
Arpaio had weak opponents in all but his last race.

Once he actually had a strong opponent he withered.

My Scottsdale friends have told me stories about Arpaio that make the charges against Moore seem trivial. In a US Senate election those stories would come out

Old 01-22-2018, 09:22 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Aside from his questionable history, Joe Arpaio is 85 years old. Are the voters of Arizona really going to elect a senator who would be in his 90s at the end of his term? It seems like Republicans have a far more credible candidate with Martha McSally, who won her House race in a district that voted for Clinton at the same time Arpaio lost his sheriff's race in the state's largest county, despite Trump winning there.

Moreover, Kyrsten Sinema has departed from the Democratic party line periodically voting in the House which isn't a bad move for getting crossover support in a state that is still a little on the red side. I think she certainly has potential but the way the Republican primary plays out will be an important factor.

Remember that 2010 wasn't a repeat of 2008, nor was 2014 a repeat of 2012. So looking too closely at the 2016 results to project the 2018 outcomes probably isn't a great idea either.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:31 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
McCaskill is all but gone; Missouri is now a very red state.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:33 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
Quote:
Arpaio = Moore. Does the GOP learn that lesson or not? (The (D)'s have not learned any).
McSally will win AZ Republican Primary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections