Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:45 AM

558 posts, read 385,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Ok John.

You don't know much about McCain then.

HE is for keeping the tax cuts as is and further cutting taxes for the middle class.

The constitution needs to be updated. How many founding fathers saw 2,752 fellow Americans die in a terrorist attack?

So a US city is helping break the law and the easiest way is to stop the money. (worked well when they lowered the speed limit)
OMG....with all due respect..Do you know who you sound like? Hugo Chavez!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 12:46 AM

403 posts, read 748,737 times
Quote:

ryneone

Is for giving the government more domestic surveillance power. You call it big brother i call it big protector. By the way they are making legal what they are already doing and have done for decades.

Protects our right to own a gun. I personally don't have a gun. People kill people not guns.
Give up your guns and let the 'big brother' protect you via surveillence. Isn't this a good idea? Oh, people kill people not guns but people use guns to kill people.
However, I am a strong supporter of gun ownership---9th amendment. 2nd amendment is slightly different.

Quote:

ryneone

Opposes medical marijuana. We have plenty of other better working drugs. Smoked a bit in my time and it is not a medical drug wonder.
Why should goverment control drugs and not guns. My view is to Let individuals decide and lets leave everyone alone.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:49 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,243,953 times
He is the only candidate that stands a chance at controlling the spending that is going on in Washington and will do his best at cutting Government waste.

He is strong on defense and has military experience. He will be tough but at the same time he knows about the horrors of war and won't take putting our troops into harms way lightly.

He has worked across party lines, I'm sick and tired of the divisive politics in Washington and in my opinion he is the only person running that may actually attempt governing from the middle and not to the far extreme end of their party.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:30 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,296,042 times
He is in favor of maintaining current tax policy. True, some of the Bush tax cuts went too far in favor of the rich, but let's cut the rhetoric that they favored only the rich when the lowest tax bracket is 10% which helps everybody. I know that I could not stay in business with an increase in federal taxes what with state taxes and health insurance premiums, not to mention inflation, breathing down all of our necks. At the federal level, the US is still a low tax country, just compare with any other early industrialized country (unless you include Slovakia and Estonia).

He also mentions corporate tax cuts. I might be in favor if it was directed at reviving basic manufacturing in the US.

In health care, he is in favor of a market approach, and not in favor of more confusing government subsidies that we simply cannot afford. The second best alternative, not on the agenda, would be true universal health care, i.e. at the least a single-payer system.

I am not so convinced that he would be a spending cutter, but one can always hope.

On the negative side, he is in favor of the Iraq war. Also he seems to have no concept of sound money, but then again most credit-addicted Americans don't.

And, yes, at least compared to Clinton, he is the lesser of the two evils. Compared to Obama, it is hard to tell: Obama at least talks about maintaining tax policy for the lower/middle class. But, overall, he is an unknown quantity; in the end, how evil Obama is would depend in the mix in Congress.

Depending on the situation in November, I may write-in Ron Paul.

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:53 AM

4,147 posts, read 7,999,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
OMG....with all due respect..Do you know who you sound like? Hugo Chavez!
Please explain. Better yet why are you calling me names?

The thread said Reasons why John MCCain would make a good President.

You seem to have a very naive approach to politics.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:05 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Yes, he was a POW. Besides that, in what ways would he be a good President, and how would he be different from Bush?

Anyone? Anyone?
Perhaps you meant to write "WOULD NOT".....It's okay, take your time next time. I have had several incidents where i forgot a word and kind of messed up the entire sentence.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:20 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Please explain. Better yet why are you calling me names?

The thread said Reasons why John MCCain would make a good President.

You seem to have a very naive approach to politics.
If anyone is naive when it comes to politics, it would be a person who believes that we can grant the government the ability to spy on any American phone calls or emails without any oversight, and the Good and Noble government will only use this power to protect us.

There isn't a government in the history of the world, including our own, that hasn't been found to use its ability to spy on its own people against the people. Your faith in Big Brother is troubling, but I could see why you would vote McCain. Anyone who values more war, higher deficits, and bigger government intrusions in our lives would surely be happy with him.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:56 AM

8,035 posts, read 10,624,855 times
Now we're getting some good and insightful answers to my thread question. Actually, many of the stands on issues that some of the folks here consider as positives for McCain are negatives to me, and I'm sure the reverse is true when a McCain supporter looks at the stances of Obama or Hillary Clinton. I guess a lot of it has to do with what you feel is important from your own personal perspective, and whether or not you're happy with the overall direction our country seems to be heading in.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:21 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,296,042 times
Quote:
... and whether or not you're happy with the overall direction our country seems to be heading in.
Hmmm, let's see ... the nation is hobbled on one leg by suicidal monetary and credit policy, suicidal foreign policy, suicidal spending side of fiscal policy, and it risks being hobbled on the other leg by suicidal taxation side of fiscal policy.

And most congressmen from both major parties are sold out to the power groups that profit from a crippled nation, bereft of morals and a sound currency.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:59 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,923,943 times
Quote:
I just find it amusing that when you ask for positive input from John McCain supporters, you get the equivalent of a cyber "blank stare", a couple of "sound byte" pat answers, or a "lesser evil" type explanation. No actual discussion or real debate on what he may bring to the Presidency if elected. I'm actually disappointed the Republicans did not nominate a better, younger, more inspiring and conservative candidate. I guess most Republicans are too. Didn't they have ANYONE in their ranks who could have brought a fresher perspective to represent the GOP? Same stale old white guys all the time.
We didn't nominate McCain. Independents voting in a republican primary did. I think it is absurd that someone not in the Republican (or Democrat for that matter) party can tell republicans who their nominee should be. I think if we eliminate independent voters from the primary process we will end up with candidates on both side that have real differences. Then in November, people will not be voting for the lesser of two evils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections