Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 01:00 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The simultaneously voted for Trump and for a Democrat for governor here in NC.

It's very likely.

The voters are not as "Deplorable" as some on the far left like to think.
People do split votes from time to time. It is hard to say how many voted for both Trump and Cooper, however since both elections were close it only took a small % of people splitting the ticket to have the differing results.

With that said at this point it certainly seems like Democrats are more engaged. Now that doesn't mean it will hold true in November, they will all vote straight ticket or any of that, however it could be enough to make some areas competitive that weren't figured to be as such, flip some areas, etc/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 01:37 PM

23,973 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
The fallacy of the OP is this.

They assume party registration = party receiving the vote. It doesn't.

I was a registered Democrat for years here in NC and still voted for both parties and libertarian.
This is a primary.

One must declare party affiliation in order to get a ballot. There are no candidates from other parties on the ballot.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:22 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,876 times
Quote:
The fallacy of the OP is this.

They assume party registration = party receiving the vote. It doesn't.

I was a registered Democrat for years here in NC and still voted for both parties and libertarian.
However, registration is a good indicator of how a voter is more likely to vote.

This thread is about trends. The trend is away from the GOP and toward the other party.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:39 PM

23,973 posts, read 15,078,314 times
For years, the Republicans in Texas had only one candidate for each position on the ballot. It was common among most whites to vote in the Democratic primary for the candidate that would be the easiest for the Republican to beat.

It has not been socially acceptable to confess to being a Democrat in years.

Typically, precinct conventions are doing good if 6-8 people show up. It is usually the poll workers plus a couple more.

Operation Chaos, my paired precinct, brought us 500+ voters. It took forever to sign in. The tally wasn't available until close to 9:30.

It was entertaining trying to figure outfit they were Limbaugh clones or were they really Ds.

I saw my across the neighbor of 16 years. And a neighbor i talked to daily. They never once said they were Ds. Even when I had signs in the yard, talked about party politics, etc. When I asked, Oh yes, we have always voted democratic.

I know for a fact, they never voted in a Primary.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:01 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,104 times
I did my part.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:35 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
I can probably roll with whoever the nominees are, so I'm not too worried. I guess I should go vote against SUCEED Kilgore, lmao.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:06 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
The simultaneously voted for Trump and for a Democrat for governor here in NC.

It's very likely.

The voters are not as "Deplorable" as some on the far left like to think.
In the primary?

Old 03-04-2018, 10:33 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
DNC stands for Democratic National Committee ( the governing body of the Democratic Party)

It is not a nickname for the party itself .

So

DNC = RNC

Dems = GOP

There is also another DNC , he democratic national conference , which happens every 4 years. To officially nominate the presidential candidate .

Old 03-05-2018, 04:18 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
I'm not sure I'm going to read too much into this. It may be that there are candidates not well liked on the ticket to the Democrats and people want to get their candidate on the ballot this fall while perhaps the Republican voters are largely okay with who is running. It's really hard to read too much into what happens with primaries. This November is the real election and what counts.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
This is a primary.

One must declare party affiliation in order to get a ballot. There are no candidates from other parties on the ballot.
I hope you realize in many states people can cross over to vote in primaries. In fact most of us think this is wrong. Just because you declare one party does not mean you will not vote for the other party even in the primaries. Often someone will declare Democrat but vote for a Republican they hope can make a difference or one who is totally defeatible (spelling) in Nov and visa versa. In other states, you do have to vote party line in the primaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections