U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 05:50 AM

10,476 posts, read 6,168,547 times

Advertisements

As we digest the results from yesterdays Texas Primary, we must recall some interesting features.

So, Democrats turned out in greater numbers than in 2014 (some say up to 100 percent, vs. GOP up to 20 percent). Yet, Republicans still clearly out-number Democrats. I have yet to see any 'official' figures yet. Normally, some 10 percent of the eligible voters vote in the primary.

One thing to keep in mind (since there has been some confusion cited): When a Texan voted yesterday (I did early voting, but it is the same way), one had to request a D or R ballot. The ballot you receive has a written warning that this means you may only vote in that particular party's run-off election in May; you may not switch parties in May.

Now, when I entered the voting station, there were some Republicans that I favored for several particular offices (mainly judicial, but one or two others as well). Yet, I had to make a choice.

Since my primary motive was to cast a vote for Beto O'Rourke, then I asked for the D ballot, meaning I would not see the R's names I happen to be for (Geren, for example, whom makes excellent Bar-B-Q). I voted for some other worthy Democrats, but on some races where I did not view the D candidate favorably, I simply left it blank.

I will be allowed to participate in the Democrat Party run-off in May.

As for those Republicans I wish to vote for, I am free to vote for them (assuming they won their individual races yesterday, which I have not checked yet) come November. Indeed, at that time I will also see the other parties listed (Libertarian, Green, what have you) on the ballot.

I very much doubt that I was singular in wanting to vote for candidates for both parties, but the choice had to be made yesterday. You may well have had those that were motivated to vote for Governor Abbott, and so selected the R ballot, but in November will vote for O'Rourke for the Senate (or whomever).

As I said in another thread (or perhaps this one), while Democrats certainly came out in force for the primary, the fact remains that Republicans, as again yesterday, are much more numerous than Democrats. For the 'Blue Wave' to occur here in November, a lot of Republicans will have to sit on their hands come election day. While there may be some 'blue' surprises in the House races, I imagine that Cruz and Abbott, to name but two, are very safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 05:54 AM

36,442 posts, read 15,946,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
They're still counting the votes. But the Republicans have been tallying far more votes in Texas' primary election Tuesday, than Democrats.

Latest primary total for Governor is approximately:

Republicans 1.4 million
Democrats 1.0 million

Votes for Senator are similarly lopsided.

No wonder we're suddenly hearing nothing more about it in the "news".

https://www.politico.com/election-results/2018/texas/
"No wonder we're suddenly hearing nothing more about it in the "news"."

Of course we hear all the "predictions" and why it is going to happen, then silence when their "predictions and "reasons" turn out to be nothing but biased opinions and is called "news"!

Old 03-07-2018, 05:57 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,424,634 times
The thread title that more Democrats than Republicans turned out in Texas is in reality, Fake News. Actually, significantly more Republicans turned out.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:58 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,424,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"No wonder we're suddenly hearing nothing more about it in the "news"."

Of course we hear all the "predictions" and why it is going to happen, then silence when their "predictions and "reasons" turn out to be nothing but biased opinions and is called "news"!
But as usual, Dems did when the pre-election forecast.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:00 AM

15,296 posts, read 17,486,722 times
The Texas Democratic primary turnout is the highest in 16 years.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:19 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,336,700 times
Quote:
Primaries in Texas have been closely guarded, small turnout affairs. The people who run Texas don't want you to know about them unless you're old, white and live outside of a big city. Unfortunately for them, other people can and do vote, despite Republicans' attempts to suppress voting in Texas.

Considering that Democratic turnout has been in the cellar lately, it increased enormously yesterday. Might be less than the Republican primary rubber-stampers returning all their favorite loons to Austin and Washington, but a lot more people will vote Democratic come November. Republican strategists know this; so watch as the lying begins. It is well funded.
I disagree. I live close to Fort Hood in a semi rural area both D, R, and I held many, many meetings which were posted on FB. Local restaurants, convenience stores etc.

I attended all R, D, and I meetings for my area. The meetings were 2 hours and a couple ran into 3 hours. I will say they were civil and no topic was hands off or switched to an different agenda.

The candidates emails were freely given to everyone. Also nice refreshments and I mean good food was offered with multiple beverage choices.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:21 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,986,838 times
The GOP is strong in Texas?

Stop the presses! Next thing you are going to tell me is the Dems won in California.

The Dems are delusional that they can win in TX yet. We are at least 10 years out to them even being competitive.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:38 AM

15,712 posts, read 9,203,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
Primaries in Texas have been closely guarded, small turnout affairs. The people who run Texas don't want you to know about them unless you're old, white and live outside of a big city. Unfortunately for them, other people can and do vote, despite Republicans' attempts to suppress voting in Texas.

Considering that Democratic turnout has been in the cellar lately, it increased enormously yesterday. Might be less than the Republican primary rubber-stampers returning all their favorite loons to Austin and Washington, but a lot more people will vote Democratic come November. Republican strategists know this; so watch as the lying begins. It is well funded.
Just like a lot more Dems were turning out this election?

Please explain to me exactly how republicans were suppressing voting. My voting was done in a public place, with plenty of notice on when and where to vote.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:38 AM

1,296 posts, read 826,855 times
Regardless of all the media hype the DCCC's "Blue Wave" in Texas was little more than Ty-D-Bowl.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:43 AM

11,920 posts, read 5,656,510 times
After looking through all the results ...... a half million more Republicans voted in the Primary than Democrats -- BUT, it was certainly a strong showing by both. No statewide runoffs.

Several GOP Congresscritters (3) are certainly in danger of losing their seats in the General Election.
The run off elections are the toughest to get voters to the polls for - lots of runoffs in some of these elections. The most disappointing news for the Dems has to be that Beto the Boy Wonder lost 38% of the Dem votes in his primary.

Money wasn't KING in Texas - organization was. Several of the top funded people lost their elections, even coming in last in some cases.

Politico probably has the best roundup - but I can post the list of all results if anyone is interested.

As I said earlier - I voted in 62 separate races, out of those 2 are in runoffs.
That means my phone will still be constantly ringing as I'm one of the voting elite - I vote in Every Single Election and they all know it. During election season - I never answer my phone and put the ringer on mute ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or