Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 05:32 AM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
This past weeks primary vote in Texas was remarkable for two reasons:

Record turnout
Most added turnout were DNC voters

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...l-12724600.php
I wouldn't be holding my breath on that one. We had early voting, with the big election tomorrow. Secondly, the media (including some local newspapers) are creating fake stories to dispirit conservative voters and destroy President Trump. Conservatives will not be dissuaded; we will get out there and do our parts in the Republican primaries, as I have two weeks ago.

While liberals, I'm sure, will be motivated in some places just out of their pure hatred for our president, they usually don't come out in droves for midterm elections. I know that George Soros is plotting and scheming out there trying to rig as many elections as possible, but it's not known how much effect we'll have on it. Also, many other liberals are not going to be this excited about getting out and voting due to unexciting candidates and the fact that they cannot run against an improving economy. Remember that these are primary elections, as the general election is not until November. Don't get excited just yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 06:46 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I hope you realize in many states people can cross over to vote in primaries. In fact most of us think this is wrong. Just because you declare one party does not mean you will not vote for the other party even in the primaries. Often someone will declare Democrat but vote for a Republican they hope can make a difference or one who is totally defeatible (spelling) in Nov and visa versa. In other states, you do have to vote party line in the primaries.
I hope you realize that this is a thread about the primary in TX.
That poster lives in TX.
How primaries are run in other states is not relevant to this thread.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:21 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
I know of several states that put all the names on the ballot and the top ? win.

I thought this thread was about the Texas primary. I have no knowledge of parties or their primaries in other states so would have kept my mouth shut.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I hope you realize that this is a thread about the primary in TX.
That poster lives in TX.
How primaries are run in other states is not relevant to this thread.
of course I realize that and I used to live in Texas so am very much aware how the system works. I was simply pointing out not all states are the same.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:49 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I'm not sure I'm going to read too much into this. It may be that there are candidates not well liked on the ticket to the Democrats and people want to get their candidate on the ballot this fall while perhaps the Republican voters are largely okay with who is running. It's really hard to read too much into what happens with primaries. This November is the real election and what counts.
Yep, the Hillary style Democrats are battling it out with those who are more to the left. Actually, their primaries have been this way for a while, it always makes for a more exciting primary. Last time I voted in a Democrat primary, folks knocked a couple of tombstones over by parking in the grass. This time around (as a Republican), I'm supposed to get excited over what, trying to stop George P Bush? I don't think so, Texas Republicans are all going to govern pretty much the same. So, if the car won't start, it's not like I'm calling Uber to get me to the polls.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:48 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
I hope you realize in many states people can cross over to vote in primaries. In fact most of us think this is wrong. Just because you declare one party does not mean you will not vote for the other party even in the primaries. Often someone will declare Democrat but vote for a Republican they hope can make a difference or one who is totally defeatible (spelling) in Nov and visa versa. In other states, you do have to vote party line in the primaries.

People can certainly vote one way in the Primary and another in the General, and things can certainly change over the next eight months. However, at this point it does seem like the Democrats in Texas are more engaged and energized than Republicans are.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
People can certainly vote one way in the Primary and another in the General, and things can certainly change over the next eight months. However, at this point it does seem like the Democrats in Texas are more engaged and energized than Republicans are.
They may be right now, but could it have to do with the number of contested seats this time around? I have not paid a lot of attention to what is happening in Texas right now, so am trying to find out if this may be the case. From the little bit I have heard some races have several candidates running on the D side.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:42 AM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I love to see this kind of Democratic turnout in a red state.
Yeah, the progs are ticked off that the Hillary machine (aka DNC) is still picking the winners and losers ahead of time and attacked their candidate.

There have been several good articles on the topic out there that explain the rift in better detail.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:10 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
They may be right now, but could it have to do with the number of contested seats this time around? I have not paid a lot of attention to what is happening in Texas right now, so am trying to find out if this may be the case. From the little bit I have heard some races have several candidates running on the D side.
That's exactly the case - some of these races have not had a Democrat in the primary for years & now they have anywhere from 2 to 13 in races and almost every race has a primary.

It may shock people that voters go to primaries only when there are candidates running in those primaries.
Usually in Texas - the Democrats get together in a back room somewhere and try to find some sucker to agree to run in a race against a Republican, it's exceedingly rare for Democrats to run against each other in a Texas Primary.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
That's exactly the case - some of these races have not had a Democrat in the primary for years & now they have anywhere from 2 to 13 in races and almost every race has a primary.

It may shock people that voters go to primaries only when there are candidates running in those primaries.
Usually in Texas - the Democrats get together in a back room somewhere and try to find some sucker to agree to run in a race against a Republican, it's exceedingly rare for Democrats to run against each other in a Texas Primary.
yep, we lived there for 13 years, but there were times when the Rs were not the most popular party. Although Texas has always been red they do lean purple or blue from time to time. Oh, btw, I shouldn't say always been red, that is far from the truth. They have been pretty much since the 80s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections