U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 01:28 PM

77,829 posts, read 33,196,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
This is ridiculous. The Republican President and his Republican Congress literally gave trillions of dollars to Wall Street and other elites at the expense of the federal budget and (eventually) working taxpayers.
So did Obama and so would have Hillary. It's amazing how so many are still unwilling to acknowledge this is the reason why Trump won Pennsylvania to start with.

I am NOT defending Trump. I am condemning failed (D) leadership that gave us Trump and it will happen again if those same leaders are allowed to control the elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 01:30 PM
Status: "It is the nature of grotesque things you canít look away" (set 26 days ago)

17,987 posts, read 8,107,648 times
Conor Lamb campaigned:
1. For universal health care
2. Against Trump’s tax cut
3. For expanded background checks
4. For stronger unions
5. Against cuts to Social Security
6. For a woman’s right to choose
7. For medical marijuana

“Conservative Democrat.” Ok. Cool.

Tweet from a guy named Jon Favreau. @jonfavs

(I have no idea how to link to a tweet.)

My sentiments exactly. It's laughable that Ryan is trying to paper over this win by claiming that Lamb is almost Republican.

But I do think that a sizable portion, maybe even a solid majority, of American voters would support this list.

Last edited by jacqueg; 03-14-2018 at 02:03 PM..

Old 03-14-2018, 01:41 PM

20,929 posts, read 11,597,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't know why respondents think throwing up other failed leaders is a valid response. It might be a valid response if I had ever defended anything Ryan has done but I have not.

Lamb said the people in his district wanted new leadership and that is how he would vote. It's what they wanted from him and it helped. He loses if he said he would have backed Pelosi.
You are the one that made the claim that not backing Pelosi helped Lamb. My point is that he also explicitly criticized Ryan for the same reasons, so to the extent it helped, that presumably helped as well.

I am not obligated to limit criticism solely to Pelosi just because you felt like getting in a dig at her while ignoring that the person in question made a criticism of both of them.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:00 PM

4,348 posts, read 5,555,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
fascist state?? that would be from the liberals
I know the word "fascist" is defined differently by different people, but let me give you this reference:

Image result for fascism definition
1 often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition.
Fascism | Definition of Fascism by Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fascism

That sounds a lot like Trump to me. But I think that the truth is that either the right or the left can become fascist if it becomes too extreme. The word is not "owned" by the left, as you seem to believe.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:02 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,862,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So did Obama and so would have Hillary. It's amazing how so many are still unwilling to acknowledge this is the reason why Trump won Pennsylvania to start with.

I am NOT defending Trump. I am condemning failed (D) leadership that gave us Trump and it will happen again if those same leaders are allowed to control the elections.
Remember how Obama let the Bush tax cuts expire only on the top tax brackets, then included a tax on incomes over ~400k to pay for Obamacare? No? Your talking points are garbage.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:24 PM

14,558 posts, read 3,848,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Conor Lamb campaigned:
2. Against Trumpís tax cut
4. For stronger unions
6. For a womanís right to choose
7. For medical marijuana
Add cutting our foreign adventures and "walking softly but carrying a big stick"...and this "radical lib" will be happy for this lifetime.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:29 PM
Status: "It is the nature of grotesque things you canít look away" (set 26 days ago)

17,987 posts, read 8,107,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Add cutting our foreign adventures and "walking softly but carrying a big stick"...and this "radical lib" will be happy for this lifetime.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You are the one that made the claim that not backing Pelosi helped Lamb. My point is that he also explicitly criticized Ryan for the same reasons, so to the extent it helped, that presumably helped as well.

I am not obligated to limit criticism solely to Pelosi just because you felt like getting in a dig at her while ignoring that the person in question made a criticism of both of them.
A (D) saying they would not support (R) leadership is hardly noteworthy.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Remember how Obama let the Bush tax cuts expire only on the top tax brackets, then included a tax on incomes over ~400k to pay for Obamacare? No? Your talking points are garbage.
Obama simply put off the costs to the lower classes for Obamacare until he left office. Obamacare was one huge giveaway to the Pharmaceutical and Insurance industries.

Obama extended the Bush tax cuts.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:50 PM

11,472 posts, read 3,125,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Conor Lamb campaigned:
2. Against Trumpís tax cut
4. For stronger unions
6. For a womanís right to choose
7. For medical marijuana

ďConservative Democrat.Ē Ok. Cool.

Tweet from a guy named Jon Favreau. @jonfavs

(I have no idea how to link to a tweet.)

My sentiments exactly. It's laughable that Ryan is trying to paper over this win by claiming that Lamb is almost Republican.

But I do think that a sizable portion, maybe even a solid majority, of American voters would support this list.
Jon Favreau is an Actor/Director/Producer (Swingers, Elf, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, The Avengers, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or