U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 10:21 AM

79,456 posts, read 33,670,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but she's still more successful than anyone on this forum by a long shot. You don't get where she is by being a legitimate idiot
Bush?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 10:23 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,889,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Bush?
Bush was hereditary, Nancy Pelosi was self made, so the two cases are different

Old 03-15-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Bush was hereditary, Nancy Pelosi was self made, so the two cases are different
So you can get places by being an idiot. She only hurts the (D)'s prospects of taking back the House.

P.S. you didn't answer my question.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:37 AM

15,366 posts, read 5,723,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You have to define HUGE. We all know Trump loves that word...

I was there...hanging on every word and every vote. The Dems only had a majority big enough to stop the blocking of the GOP for a very small portion of his 8 years.

A bit of timeline for you since you seem very forgetful.

1. The GOP contested the MN Senate election - until June 2009, meaning that the Dems and Independents didn't have a filibuster-proof majority.

2. In Feb, 2010 Scott Brown was elected and that was the end of the filibuster proof majority.

Bottom line - one year. Out of eight.

"November 2, 2010: 2010 general elections, in which Republicans regained control of the House"

This is a discussion board. No reason to be dishonest or spread fake news. Let me remind you that the GOP decided 100% not to govern for the entirety of Obamas term. It also takes BOTH the Senate and the House to create legislation.

We could go into details like the Senator who was in the hospital and unable to vote...and that a few Dems are always "blue dogs" and not really part of the Obama coalition, but the True Facts are that Obama was unable to "control" the Congress for the vast majority of his term.
I have had this exact same discussion with this poster numerous times. He continues to insist that the Democrats had this filibuster proof majority long enough that they should have accomplished everything on their agenda. Give it up. It's a lost cause explaining the reality of how short a span it actually was. He won't ever acknowledge it.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:38 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,877,900 times
Quote:
Honestly, unless you live in California's 12th Congressional District, why do you even care about Nancy Pelosi? Why don't you worry about your own US House Rep?
S(he) cares about Pelosi because of too much time listening to right wing radio or watching right wing TV. The gimmick for these right wing entertainers is to say someone's name in connection with basically anything the entertainer thinks is negative. They did it with Clinton, Obama, Pelosi, and before them: Clinton again (and her husband), Kerry, Al Gore, etc. They've got a schtick and it pays. Unfortunately, some of their listeners are so gullible that they believe the junk the entertainers spew.

Quote:
She's an extreme partisan idiot is why. Under her leadership the (D)'s lost large majorities in the House. It was her words that helped set that off.

She is everything that is wrong with politics. Why do you suppose Lamb made it a point to note that he would not back her as speaker if he won? He isn't in her district.
Pelosi delivered her caucus on a bunch of tough votes: TARP, Obamacare, financial reform, and cap & trade. She is a real leader in Congress. When she retires, we will lose a giant. Every speaker loses their majority. What matters is what they do with it when they have it. She did more in 4 years than the Boehner/Ryan combo has in the 7 since.

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but she's still more successful than anyone on this forum by a long shot. You don't get where she is by being a legitimate idiot
She is smart and capable, and right wing entertainers hate that.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:38 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,889,772 times
Quote:
So you can get places by being an idiot. She only hurts the (D)'s prospects of taking back the House.

P.S. you didn't answer my question.
I actually did, Bush wasn't the brightest, but got where he did thanks to who his father and grandfather were. He never would've even gotten into Harvard or Yale without being a legacy.

Self made people are usually smart. Bush wasn't self made, he came from money, so he could coast on the family name.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I have had this exact same discussion with this poster numerous times. He continues to insist that the Democrats had this filibuster proof majority long enough that they should have accomplished everything on their agenda. Give it up. It's a lost cause explaining the reality of how short a span it actually was. He won't ever acknowledge it.
If one wants to discuss my positions with me honestly, fine. If not, do not make up positions for me. You do not have to have a filibuster proof majority. Trump got the tax cuts through did he not?

Fact: The (D)'s at the start of Obama's term had a President with a very high approval rating and majorities in the House and Senate and blew it because who they were, was not who they said they would be.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Pelosi delivered her caucus on a bunch of tough votes: TARP, Obamacare, financial reform, and cap & trade.

All for the benefit of Wall Street. That is why Trump is president.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I actually did, Bush wasn't the brightest, but got where he did thanks to who his father and grandfather were. He never would've even gotten into Harvard or Yale without being a legacy.

Self made people are usually smart. Bush wasn't self made, he came from money, so he could coast on the family name.
Why did Lamb feel the need to run from Pelosi? (he wouldn't have won if he had backed Pelosi also)

Old 03-15-2018, 11:03 AM

19,039 posts, read 15,497,798 times
Quote:
If one wants to discuss my positions with me honestly, fine. If not, do not make up positions for me. You do not have to have a filibuster proof majority. Trump got the tax cuts through did he not?

Fact: The (D)'s at the start of Obama's term had a President with a very high approval rating and majorities in the House and Senate and blew it because who they were, was not who they said they would be.
Both points are technically correct. The Democrats could have certainly done a better job in the lead up to the 2010 Midterms, however the rules when and how you can use Reconciliation (which is how the Trump Tax Cuts were passed) are quite strict and much of what the Democrats ran on could not get passed through Reconciliation and were subject to a Filibuster. The Democrats had a Filibuster Proof majority for about six months (July 7th 2009- Feb 4th 2010, minus a month from when Kennedy passed away to when Kirk was seated to fill the seat until the Special Election)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or