U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-14-2018, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Home, Home on the Front Range
22,694 posts, read 16,166,960 times
Reputation: 12694

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
a majority of absentee votes is from the military....who do favor the republicans over the military hating liberals
Both candidates in this race are former military, one is a current reservist.

Do you really think it wise to try to paint with such a broad brush?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2018, 09:58 AM
 
77,828 posts, read 33,196,343 times
Reputation: 15558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
LOL... the guy who resigned half a year ago?

Man, you guys are scraping the absolute bottom of the barrel to explain away this loss!
Bite me. I'm glad Lamb won. It's disgusting how one is unable to honestly look at a race and discuss went on without some foolish post coming along trying to paint you into a box.

I have never supporter Trump. I voted for Sanders and then Stein.

That the GOP was replacing a hypocritical sleazeball played a role as it should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 09:59 AM
 
15,296 posts, read 17,486,722 times
Reputation: 13398
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Do you think any one in politics is paying attention?
Absolutely. The results of the PA special election are a big deal to the GOP. There are predictions of more incumbent Republicans that won't choose to run for re-election in 2018 due to the Blue Wave that showed up again in the PA election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
30,893 posts, read 13,410,298 times
Reputation: 21991
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Do you think any one in politics is paying attention? Pennsylvania was a state that Hillary was expected to win easily also. There were a lot of things in play here that were the same reasons both parties lost what would have been in the past expected wins.
PA 18 is what we are talking about and it has never been a Democratic district:

2008 presidential: McCain +11%
2008 House: Murphy +28%
2010 House: Murphy +35%
2012 presidential: Romney +17%
2012 House: Murphy +28%
2014 House: Murphy unopposed
2016 presidential: Trump +20%
2016 House: Murphy unopposed

https://www.nbcnews.com/card/pa-18-d...t-nope-n855901

And yes I think people are paying attention:

"House Speaker Paul Ryan is expected to tell House GOP members Wednesday morning that last night's special election in western Pennsylvania was much closer than it should have been and that continued Democratic enthusiasm should serve as a wakeup call, according to a person familiar."
https://www.axios.com/paul-ryan-penn...1bba8aec3.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 10:04 AM
 
77,828 posts, read 33,196,343 times
Reputation: 15558
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
[b]All Democrats are pro-worker and pro-second amendment except a few far left fringe.
Unfortunately for the (D)'s they ran one of these exceptions in 2016 and oddly, people voted for her in the primaries over the pro-worker candidate that was rational on the 2nd.

You go ahead and explain that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
30,893 posts, read 13,410,298 times
Reputation: 21991
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
a majority of absentee votes is from the military....who do favor the republicans over the military hating liberals
There aren't enough military ballots to make a difference even if they all broke for Saccone. There are only 23 in Westmoreland County

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.9ba4ebccd7d8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 10:06 AM
 
15,296 posts, read 17,486,722 times
Reputation: 13398
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Unfortunately for the (D)'s they ran one of these exceptions in 2016 and oddly, people voted for her in the primaries over the pro-worker candidate that was rational on the 2nd.

You go ahead and explain that.
Go ahead and start a new thread to discuss Hillary and the 2016 election.

This thread is about the nail biter PA special election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 10:08 AM
 
77,828 posts, read 33,196,343 times
Reputation: 15558
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
PA 18 is what we are talking about and it has never been a Democratic district:

2008 presidential: McCain +11%
2008 House: Murphy +28%
2010 House: Murphy +35%
2012 presidential: Romney +17%
2012 House: Murphy +28%
2014 House: Murphy unopposed
2016 presidential: Trump +20%
2016 House: Murphy unopposed

https://www.nbcnews.com/card/pa-18-d...t-nope-n855901

And yes I think people are paying attention:

"House Speaker Paul Ryan is expected to tell House GOP members Wednesday morning that last night's special election in western Pennsylvania was much closer than it should have been and that continued Democratic enthusiasm should serve as a wakeup call, according to a person familiar."
https://www.axios.com/paul-ryan-penn...1bba8aec3.html
Politicians say they heard the people but then fall back into doing the very same thing. The people are slowly changing, I'm not sure the parties are.

It would be very difficult for Lamb to win a national election as a (D).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 10:10 AM
 
77,828 posts, read 33,196,343 times
Reputation: 15558
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Go ahead and start a new thread to discuss Hillary and the 2016 election.

This thread is about the nail biter PA special election.
Again, it's sad we can't discuss the backgrounds and ramifications of elections as opposed to simply "nah, nah, nah, you lost".

That is how one continues to lose themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 10:14 AM
 
1,039 posts, read 399,170 times
Reputation: 1173
This is a district that is historically deep red. Trump was +20 in this district. Trump campaigned in PA last week even. A Democratic challenger is now head-to-head, if not victorious, in the congressional race. Those are the facts. The more you try to spin this disaster of a night for the GOP, the more desperate you look. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:34 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top