Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 07:44 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times

Advertisements

Palmer Report has a new post claiming this -- I was a little skeptical, but when you watch the You Tube video of the Cambridge Analytica representative she very clearly says they had the absentee results weeks before the 2016 election.

How did they do that? AFAIK that's illegal everywhere in the U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB2B...tu.be&t=32m16s

Last edited by Elliott_CA; 03-22-2018 at 08:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 05:20 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Palmer Report has a new post claiming this -- I was a little skeptical, but when you watch the You Tube video of the Cambridge Analytica representative she very clearly says they had the absentee results weeks before the 2016 election.

How did they do that? AFAIK that's illegal everywhere in the U.S.
This may shock you....but they really dont care about laws.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:43 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
This needs to be linked to the CA thread on politics forum=
Not elections
This info has not been reported on any news media that I have read/heard
Why not???

Old 03-31-2018, 09:33 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
This needs to be linked to the CA thread on politics forum=
Not elections
This info has not been reported on any news media that I have read/heard
Why not???
Well, no, my post belongs in Elections because it deals with the processing and release of absentee voter results prior to Election Day. If the Cambridge Analytica spokeswoman's words are taken literally it means that CA somehow got absentee results early, which would be a major new development or breach in election counting protocol.

It's possible that she misspoke and meant to say they had some internal polling taken at the time when absentee ballots were being turned in. Or maybe CA had a backdoor to some state election offices and she let it slip. Who knows?

Old 04-04-2018, 08:00 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Elliott, I have copied a link to this thread over to the ongoing, very long thread on Cambridge Analytica, which you can find here:

Did Cambridge Analytica/Facebook win the election for Trump? MERGED

Facebook announced today (April 4) that Cambridge Analytica's unauthorized download of user information was MUCH bigger than previously reported.

Cambridge Analytica actually downloaded --- without user permission or knowledge --- personal information from at least 87 million users, of whom at least 71 million were in the U.S.

According to Facebook, the Cambridge Analytica data set included user names, hometowns, work and educational histories, religious affiliations and Facebook “likes” of users and their friends, among other data. Other users affected were in countries including the Philippines, Indonesia, U.K., Canada and Mexico.

Additionally, Facebook admitted today that "malicious agents" from the dark web, downloaded additional personal information (although not as extensive as what Cambridge Analytica downloaded) from pretty much ALL 2 billion Facebook accounts.

This is much more than a U.S. election story, so please feel free to join the discussion on the other thread, or to discuss here.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:23 PM

The US has never taken personal privacy as seriously as Europe and the U.K.
I guess because personal privacy isn't an Amendment in the Constitution...
But Facebook is going to be cracked in Europe...because you know if they stole identities on our side of the ocean, they were stealing them all over the world...

And when did Facebook know about those "malicious agents" from the dark web???
They are going to have to spend some money and hire some people that do something beside sell ad space...

Old 04-04-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Well, no, my post belongs in Elections because it deals with the processing and release of absentee voter results prior to Election Day. If the Cambridge Analytica spokeswoman's words are taken literally it means that CA somehow got absentee results early, which would be a major new development or breach in election counting protocol.

It's possible that she misspoke and meant to say they had some internal polling taken at the time when absentee ballots were being turned in. Or maybe CA had a backdoor to some state election offices and she let it slip. Who knows?
And it's possible that she meant exactly what she said...

This is the disconnect in society between people running elections and people hacking elections...
The ones running elections don't spend lot of time watching self-promoting videos on YouTube...

Old 04-07-2018, 09:47 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Anyone know where in that 40 minute video that she admits they had absentee ballots a week before the election?

Old 04-07-2018, 11:30 AM

23,967 posts, read 15,063,270 times
She couldn't have them weeks before the election.

My state has early voting up to and until the Friday evening before the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November, So do most other states.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:00 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Anyone know where in that 40 minute video that she admits they had absentee ballots a week before the election?
To answer my own question, she talks about this as an answer during the Q&A starting at 34:00. Since this was an answer to a question, it was not part of her prepared speech, and it's quite possible she revealed something she shouldn't have. The host of the conference was quite surprised to hear she had early access to write-in votes and actually had her verify this is what she was saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
She couldn't have them weeks before the election.

My state has early voting up to and until the Friday evening before the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November, So do most other states.
She addressed that, it's variable by state. They were able to take advantage of the early results as they came in. Watch the video starting at 34:00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections