U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 09:11 PM

6,831 posts, read 2,445,049 times

Advertisements

Democrat Rebecca Dallet defeated Republican incumbent Michael Screnock 56%/44%.

https://projects.jsonline.com/news/2...n-results.html

https://www.jsonline.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 11:56 PM

11,348 posts, read 6,128,824 times
Big win for Dems in WI, although it doesn't change the balance of power on the WI Supreme Court (GOP still has 4-3 edge after this victory).

Old 04-04-2018, 05:47 AM

10,456 posts, read 6,152,431 times
I see that the results, including a larger-than-expected margin of victory rather alarmed Governor Walker, whom tweeted:

"Tonightís results show we are at risk of a #BlueWave in WI. The Far Left is driven by anger & hatred ó we must counter it with optimism & organization. Letís share our positive story with voters & win in November."

Margin of victory: Ms. Dallet: 55.7 percent.
Mr. Screnock: 44.3 percent.

Mr. Screnock is described as an 'ally' of Mr. Walker.

https://decisiondeskhq.com/news/wisc...ourt-election/

As to whether this is a hint of a 'blue wave', remains to be seen. I know nothing about either candidate. Perhaps Mr. Screnock rubbed a lot of people wrong.

Just for the heck of it is this 'fact' check article on both published last week:

Fact checks on Rebecca Dallet and Michael Screnock in the Wisconsin Supreme Court race | PolitiFact Wisconsin

Each seem to have the normal amount of baggage for any person seeking public office.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:07 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,288,705 times
The interesting numbers are that Madison and Milwaukee gave her a 120k vote bonus and she won by 110k. This means she was competitive across the stat before you gave her the benefit of the two D strongholds.

It also means that sexism did not cost Clinton in 2016 since this gal took it to the house in the two counties (Milwaukee and Dane) to win statewide.

I think the Rs are going to face headwinds in 2016 that Ds did in 2010 which were as much related to incumbency as ideology. Through in a motivated base on the side out of power and things get dicey.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:36 AM

9,118 posts, read 4,207,595 times
I didn't realize WI elected their SC justices.

Frankly I think it is the wrong model, because it makes the justice system appear much more political. Granted a governor could make political picks, but over the years many a governor has picked people based more on qualification than ideological rigidity.
Sadly influences outside of the state can also play a part with money and manpower for elected judges.
It also makes judges have to run for office, which means they could beholden to special interests.

Needless to say my state has the governor pick the SC justices, and that seems like the better model.

`

Old 04-04-2018, 06:37 AM

66,175 posts, read 30,022,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
The interesting numbers are that Madison and Milwaukee gave her a 120k vote bonus and she won by 110k. This means she was competitive across the stat before you gave her the benefit of the two D strongholds.
Madison registers their college students to vote, even those who actually live out-of-state (according to their driver's licenses, bursar records, etc.). Many large college campus towns do so. All that's needed is a mailing address, and virtually every college student has a mailing address at which they receive correspondence during the academic calendar year.

What is at issue is how many of these students are voting twice? Once in their legal residence polling precinct via absentee ballot or early voting, and then again in their college town?

Anyone remember these buttons that GAP stores were promoting during the 2008 election?

Old 04-04-2018, 07:51 AM

4,738 posts, read 1,764,599 times
I guess this was another election that Scott Walker and the Republicans could not stop. Surprised the GOP controlled WI legislature didn't try to change the law.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:15 AM

10,456 posts, read 6,152,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I didn't realize WI elected their SC justices.

Frankly I think it is the wrong model, because it makes the justice system appear much more political. Granted a governor could make political picks, but over the years many a governor has picked people based more on qualification than ideological rigidity.
Sadly influences outside of the state can also play a part with money and manpower for elected judges.
It also makes judges have to run for office, which means they could beholden to special interests.

Needless to say my state has the governor pick the SC justices, and that seems like the better model.

`
Many states, including Texas, do elect their judges (for varying terms).

As an attorney, I have long viewed with displeasure and suspicion our system of electing judges. We have had some very bad judges, at all levels and parties, whom were elected simply because they mouthed correct political platitudes for the era, or road a political 'wave' into office.

Here is a handy website, showing how each state chooses its judges and/or justices for their respective Courts:

https://ballotpedia.org/State_supreme_courts

Note that some states, like Texas, have 'partisan' elections (meaning, run as D or R), while others (like Wisconsin) have 'non-partisan' elections (meaning, the candidates do not actually run under a party banner).

Of course, having the Governor appoint judges/justices also introduces partisan politics.

I suppose there is no perfect way to get qualified people into office.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:21 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,288,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Madison registers their college students to vote, even those who actually live out-of-state (according to their driver's licenses, bursar records, etc.). Many large college campus towns do so. All that's needed is a mailing address, and virtually every college student has a mailing address at which they receive correspondence during the academic calendar year.

What is at issue is how many of these students are voting twice? Once in their legal residence polling precinct via absentee ballot or early voting, and then again in their college town?

Anyone remember these buttons that GAP stores were promoting during the 2008 election?

Her margin of victory was too large to come from college kids who attempted that. And if it were prevalent I have a very hard time believing Fox, Rush, Breitbart and the like would not have started scouring rolls to invalidate an election.

The tricky item is if the kids switch registration between elections. They could legally chose between home and college town as their voting place as long as not voting in each. But there is nothing inherently wrong with switching that choice between election cycles which don't always match up with the every other year most of us see.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:25 AM

29,273 posts, read 39,528,044 times
Dane County (Madison) was near 50% turnout projections mid-day. It took the horror of Trump to wake them up, but I think people are finally getting it - elections matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or