Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 09:15 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Early primary voting starts today where I live. A member of the US House of Representatives (but not my representative) is running for Governor. While I very much like this candidate, I don't want this person to be replaced in the House with a member of the other party. I want them to stay put so they can continue to vote for the President's agenda.

I see 3 reasons to vote for or against someone:

1. You want that candidate to win because you like them/their party.
2. You don't want the other candidate to win because you dislike them/their party even more than you like the one from your party.
3. You want the candidate you like to remain in their current position because you don't want someone from the other party to replace them in their current position.

I'm wondering if you ever voted against someone you liked because you wanted them to stay in their current position (#3 above) for whatever reason. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 09:28 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Nope. If they don't want their job any longer, I'm happy to let them go.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:43 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
"I'm wondering if you ever voted against someone you liked because you wanted them to stay in their current position (#3 above) for whatever reason. Any advice?"

No, I've never done that.
I would think it unfair to force someone to stay in a position s/he is ready to move on from.

I would also be concerned that mentally that person has already moved on from whatever position they now hold.
By committing to this new position, s/he has pretty much stated that the current job no longer interests them on the same level.
Would you then be getting the same engagement that you had previously?

Old 04-11-2018, 11:51 AM

3,158 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Getting specific, in the context of Tennessee, I don't think there is any significant chance the candidate you like running for governor would be replaced by a member of the other party in the House. She is representing an extremely red district where the president and Republican party are far more popular than they are nationwide. If you like the candidate, it would make sense to vote for her for governor and then choose whomever you like best in the House race. She may even endorse one of her prospective successors. Regardless, she is not running for re-election to her House seat whether or not her pursuit of becoming governor is successful.

In a more general sense, I don't recall voting against a candidate wanting a promotion to a different role out of concern they would be leaving their current position. Politicians are always replaceable, although sometimes they may have a special appeal to an area that most others in their party are lacking.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:34 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,657,641 times
I will be helping you on this issue, as I will not be voting for this person for governor. Of course, this person is my rep and I would not vote for them in that position either.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:42 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
I've voted against someone I disliked more than I liked their opponent. I think that is one reason Hillary got extra votes. They hated her but she was a known quantity and they knew nothing about Trump. Come 2020 Trump will get new voters because they will realize they actually like some of his policies, their lives have't been adversely affected and may even be better, and the world is still in one piece.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:52 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Getting specific, in the context of Tennessee, I don't think there is any significant chance the candidate you like running for governor would be replaced by a member of the other party in the House. She is representing an extremely red district where the president and Republican party are far more popular than they are nationwide. If you like the candidate, it would make sense to vote for her for governor and then choose whomever you like best in the House race. She may even endorse one of her prospective successors. Regardless, she is not running for re-election to her House seat whether or not her pursuit of becoming governor is successful.

In a more general sense, I don't recall voting against a candidate wanting a promotion to a different role out of concern they would be leaving their current position. Politicians are always replaceable, although sometimes they may have a special appeal to an area that most others in their party are lacking.
Not that I am expecting the district to go Democrat in this election, but the influx of people from different parts of the country is slowly changing the look of Tennessee. It is still a red state, but maybe not as deep a red as previously.

As for the district, between 1982 and 2010 the reps were Democrats. Only in the big surge of 2010 did it swing to a Republican and they have won big since.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:56 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Not that I am expecting the district to go Democrat in this election, but the influx of people from different parts of the country is slowly changing the look of Tennessee. It is still a red state, but maybe not as deep a red as previously.

As for the district, between 1982 and 2010 the reps were Democrats. Only in the big surge of 2010 did it swing to a Republican and they have won big since.

Also, can whomever this Congressman is run for both the House and the Governorship at the same time? Some states allow it and some don't.

It's possible that if he's allowed to do that he could lose both.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:38 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Also, can whomever this Congressman is run for both the House and the Governorship at the same time? Some states allow it and some don't.

It's possible that if he's allowed to do that he could lose both.
I know that you cannot run for two state offices at the same time but can run for two federal offices at the same time. But I'm not sure on one of each.

But the rep appears to be all in on the governor spot. She may have a bit of a fight in the primary and if that goes her way, we'll see what happens in the general

Old 04-11-2018, 05:21 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post

I think your odds in Tennessee are better for getting a Democratic senator than a local Democratic House rep this cycle. The district is redder than the state, and the Democratic Senate nominee is a former governor with a history of bipartisanship. The Republican Senate nominee (outgoing rep from another district) seems to be more locked into her partisan corner and would probably be a loyal rubber stamp for the president. Of course, that's exactly what a significant part of the electorate wants these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections