U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Trump win re-election with only his base?
Yes 12 12.90%
No 81 87.10%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 05:03 PM

18,179 posts, read 11,160,943 times

Advertisements

Trump has made it very clear since taking office that he only cares about his base. He speaks to no one else in the country and he is viciously hostile to blue states. While most presidents have favored their base, no president has been so extreme in their focus of hating the rest. That being said, some of Trump's tariffs will certainly hurt farmers and he's said they'll take the hit for the good of the country. After what Trump has done to blue states, my hope is every Republican in a blue state gets kicked out of office between now and November. That would be more than what we need. Then we'll see how much Trump likes his job. He may want to gather his greasy McDonalds wrappers and go home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 06:22 PM

4,639 posts, read 5,103,679 times
I voted for Trump because I hated Hillary. I never agreed with his adoration for all things Israel, and some of the stuff that comes out of his mouth makes me cringe. He's acting like a war hawk now. At some point he sounded like he didn't want to get into war, and that was good to hear. However, I feel that NONE of the candidates would be able to keep Israel under control. Hillary would be a worse war hawk than Trump. Israel has way too much influence over our lives. We pay them huge amounts of money, and they are trying to suck us into another unwinnable war.

Trump peed his pants over the so called chemical attack involving (knee jerk reaction buzzword) "Kids" ,and said BUPKIS about the massacre of Palestinians during a peaceful protest. Would I vote for him again ? Yes, but only if he concentrates on the USA, and our people. If he and his chums get us into another war, I just won't vote any more. We are screwed as a nation if we don't stop trying to rule the whole world with Israel. They are not our friends, nor are they a Democracy.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:28 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,289,071 times
No. He needs the frustrated and angry independents who voted for Trump as a protest against Clinton - or just to shake things up to see what happened.

Trump has lost those voters. They are turned off. They realize he really IS a reckless racist. They think he's a buffoon. They have come to their senses, so to speak.

The Democrats need to run someone who is...hmmm...NOT Hilary Clinton? That would be a good start.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:55 PM

235 posts, read 88,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No. He needs the frustrated and angry independents who voted for Trump as a protest against Clinton - or just to shake things up to see what happened.

Trump has lost those voters. They are turned off. They realize he really IS a reckless racist. They think he's a buffoon. They have come to their senses, so to speak.

The Democrats need to run someone who is...hmmm...NOT Hilary Clinton? That would be a good start.
They need to avoid the safe coastal states period...I think a progressive yet reasonable midwestern senator/governor at the top of the ticket and a strong liberal from the coastal for VP...that should be a good balance but candidates matter 1000%

Old 04-12-2018, 09:02 PM

9,440 posts, read 5,828,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Trump has made it very clear since taking office that he only cares about his base. He speaks to no one else in the country and he is viciously hostile to blue states.
Exactly like Obama and you elected him twice and doubled down on that strategy with Hillary. The problem for you is Trumps approval ratings are higher than Obamas at this point in his term.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:09 PM
JRR

3,686 posts, read 2,233,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
It doesn’t depend on who the Dems run as well eh?
Or maybe who goes against him in the Republican primary?

Old 04-12-2018, 09:25 PM

21,529 posts, read 14,419,350 times
This entire argument depends on Trump running again in 2020.

I have never believed he would finish his first term, and still don't. I think the 2020 race will have Pence as the incumbent President seeking a first full term of his own.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:27 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,289,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
This entire argument depends on Trump running again in 2020.

I have never believed he would finish his first term, and still don't. I think the 2020 race will have Pence as the incumbent President seeking a first full term of his own.
Pence lacks anything that would draw independents. He is a full blown, right wing conservative, evangelical Christian. Anti-Gay. Anti-choice. Trump did not act that way until he was elected. He bonded with the Religious Right publicly AFTER the election.

Younger voters and moderate independents will never go for such a person.

Pence also acts normally. With decorum. Like a regular politician. He's not going to blurt out anything crazy like "I could stand on 5th Ave. and gun people down and STILL win the election".
A certain sector of Trump's base love those antics.

They won't get the "crazy factor" they enjoy with Trump, with Pence.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:48 PM

21,529 posts, read 14,419,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Pence lacks anything that would draw independents. He is a full blown, right wing conservative, evangelical Christian. Anti-Gay. Anti-choice. Trump did not act that way until he was elected. He bonded with the Religious Right publicly AFTER the election.

Younger voters and moderate independents will never go for such a person.

Pence also acts normally. With decorum. Like a regular politician. He's not going to blurt out anything crazy like "I could stand on 5th Ave. and gun people down and STILL win the election".
A certain sector of Trump's base love those antics.

They won't get the "crazy factor" they enjoy with Trump, with Pence.
All true.

But I think we all don't realize just how much Trump has affected us all, whether we like him or not.

I believe that once he's gone, Pence's normality, if it helps to settle and set the Congress back on its feet, will be such a relief that his right-wing stance will be tolerated by the older voters and the centrist moderates of that age.

I agree the young voters would never go for him, but if Trump was gone, he might take the young's high motivation to vote along with him. Pence may be a right winger, but I don't think he presents a clear danger to our democracy.

I think Trump's crazy factor's amusement quality, even in his faithful base, is rapidly eroding.

I think his constant spinning up is causing even his base some anxieties they never had when they voted for him, and he won't stop spinning. It's his natural condition, and he can't help himself. No one can.

He won't even slow down. He's like a runaway train with no brakes left, with over 2 1/2 years to go. No one wants to be on Old 97 she she jumps the tracks and blows the boiler.

For a brief period in December, I began to think Trump might be getting a grip on himself a little, and that I might be wrong in my prediction. But now, I think that was only Trump resting up for the windup he is in right now, and I'm now as sure as ever he'll leave before this year is done.

That's about 6 months less than I gave him when he was elected. I fully expect the sigh of relief when he's gone to be a big wind that sweeps across the nation.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:28 AM

11,917 posts, read 3,647,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
It doesn’t depend on who the Dems run as well eh?
With some it does not. I know people who despised Trump during the primaries, yet ended up voting for him and have convinced themselves he can do no wrong. These people now call anyone who oppose him in any way RINOs, including people they once liked much better.

They would never vote for a Democrat. Any Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or