U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Can Trump win re-election with only his base?
Yes 12 12.90%
No 81 87.10%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2018, 01:37 PM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,036 posts, read 4,123,391 times
Reputation: 7687

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Trump has made it very clear since taking office that he only cares about his base. He speaks to no one else in the country and he is viciously hostile to blue states. While most presidents have favored their base, no president has been so extreme in their focus of hating the rest. That being said, some of Trump's tariffs will certainly hurt farmers and he's said they'll take the hit for the good of the country. After what Trump has done to blue states, my hope is every Republican in a blue state gets kicked out of office between now and November. That would be more than what we need. Then we'll see how much Trump likes his job. He may want to gather his greasy McDonalds wrappers and go home.
This is one of the most angering thing about Trump. He panders to his base like they are the only ones who exist and are the only ones who matter. As you say, all Presidents do this to an extent but none to the extent that Trump does it. The fact of the matter is that it's a minority, dying ideology that's being forced upon the entire country. As a result, he is exceedingly popular with his base but hated by the rest of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2018, 01:51 PM
 
5,434 posts, read 1,547,253 times
Reputation: 2265
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree with you on North Korea. He could get nice bump if he is successful in diffusing that situation, but I'm not sure it will be enough to save his Presidency. People rallied around President Bush after 9/11 yet he only barely won the 2004 election and it was the gay marriage issue that won it for him, not 9/11 or the War on Terror.

The economy however is a result of Obama's policies and Trump is doing everything he can to hasten the arrival of the next recession. We are actually already due for it and we'll be lucky if we aren't in full-fledged recession by the 2020 election.
Trump cut more regulations in his first 6 months than any President ever cut in 8 years, so that aspect of the economy is completely different to what Obama had.
Obama restricted business opportunities in the most horrible way, adding more regulations than any President ever did, very anti-American.
And Trump lowering the corporate tax to 21% (it was 35%) is a massive difference, so the economy is operating under a completely different set of circumstances now than it was with Obama.
Trump's economy is the opposite to Obama's economy, and I think the next quarter of GDP growth will reflect that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Warren, OH
2,748 posts, read 3,341,021 times
Reputation: 6473
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanip View Post
The only way Trump stole the 2016 election was because of an unprecedented level of right-wing election cheating. This included voter suppression and gerrymandering. It also included heavy use of false news on social media. To what extent foreign money was used to launder money, influence electors, promote voting machine irregularities, and negatively impact the election results in PA, WI, MI, FL, and NC is still to be determined.

Without this unprecedented level of cheating, there are not enough right-wingers in his base to get him the win. In fact election cheating is the only way that Republicans can still exist.

Right now, I doubt that Trump will even make it past Christmas.
Yup. He's toast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Planet Telex
4,663 posts, read 2,294,777 times
Reputation: 4386
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
Plus the economy is a masterpiece, if anyone cares. Trump's economy is the opposite to Obama's economy
This was debunked a while ago. Ignore the mainstream media propaganda.

Peter Schiff: Candidate Trump Told The Truth About The Phony Recovery, Now President Trump Wants To Take Credit For The Phony Recovery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 05:47 PM
 
9,764 posts, read 3,168,873 times
Reputation: 4053
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanip View Post
The only way Trump stole the 2016 election was because of an unprecedented level of right-wing election cheating. This included voter suppression and gerrymandering. It also included heavy use of false news on social media. To what extent foreign money was used to launder money, influence electors, promote voting machine irregularities, and negatively impact the election results in PA, WI, MI, FL, and NC is still to be determined.

Without this unprecedented level of cheating, there are not enough right-wingers in his base to get him the win. In fact election cheating is the only way that Republicans can still exist.

Right now, I doubt that Trump will even make it past Christmas.


Then why not run Hillary again?


She should be better prepared this time right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 05:52 PM
 
5,434 posts, read 1,547,253 times
Reputation: 2265
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
You just posted a link to propaganda.
And I'm talking about 2018, not 2017.
The changes Trump made (record-setting deregulation, 21% corporate tax cut), will impact 2018.
That is why manufacturer optimism is at 93%, while it never reached 80% during Obama's 8 years.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Florida
22,319 posts, read 9,485,094 times
Reputation: 18218
He could win if he is is running against Harvey Weinstein....maybe.

Lol. What was that thing we kept hearing during the campaign? Give him a chance--we don't know how he will govern.

So now they know who he is and how he governs. He is a crude tyrant of low intellect who acts without thinking at all--simply reactionary immature behavior.

As GW said..."Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me.....you can't get fooled again." Truest words ever spoken by George Bush (other than his post-inaugural speech comment 'that was some weird ****').
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Florida
22,319 posts, read 9,485,094 times
Reputation: 18218
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Then why not run Hillary again?

She should be better prepared this time right?
Nope--it is only your crowd that is obsessed with Hillary. The rest of us have moved on.

It won't be Hillary, or Warren or Bernie, or Biden, or any of the usual suspects whose names are being tossed out there.

Trumpies would be better off worrying which Republicans will be challenging Trump, or Pence--depending on who is still around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 06:26 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
18,678 posts, read 23,258,366 times
Reputation: 48876
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post
Sherrod Brown is my first choice actually and I'm a new Yorker. A progressive yet not overly left from a swingy area who can "talk to the people" and actually has blue-collar roots

The Trump supporters who love his racism will support Trump even if you resurrect the Racist democrats from 150 years ago because he has an "R" next to his name.

Remember even at their lowest Bush, Nixon Carter all had approval ratings in the mid to high 20's which is basically saying 3/4 give or take of the party base stuck by them blindly. Even when the rest of the country was done with them.

I do not think it must be a white-male to win but in the same respect the democrats are too concerned with a "trophy candidate" too consumed that they MUST nominated a woman, minority either race or religious minority and "white male" is a semi-dirty word.

Let me put it this way contrary to popular belief Obama did not get the nomination in 2008 because he was black...yes i am sure that had a minor factor, but Obama won because he connected with the voters while Hillary waltzed around like it was owed to her (lets not even start with Hillary was just unlikable and strong armed the party to handing her the nod in 2016)

How the candidate connects with the voters..ALL voters should be priority number 1. People want to vote for a candidate because they feel he/she is the best choice, not a crammed down their throat story like hearing the same song over and over on the radio, eventually people sour on it. If the Democrats keep playing the our nominee MUST be a woman, minority basically anything except a white male and we will do our best to stop any white male from getting the nod then it will be like hearing the same song over and over again it will cause a backlash.
So well said - I wish I could rep you 100x over!

I was born in NY and grew up in the NYC suburbs. When to college in New England. Now I live in Ohio.

The Democrats are out of touch. Millennials do not care about "the First Woman President" - or any other trophy candidate terms. They don't look at the candidates CV - they watch the candidate to see if they listen, and are down to earth.

The Dems have always been the party of the young, but last election showed a party that shamed women for not supporting other women, and spoke down to the youth.

The CANDIDATE NEEDS to CONNECT. This is an absolute fact. Boring candidates equal low voter turnout.

No one CARE how the candidate became "unlikable" - Hillary just was unlikable. I come from a background that is quite similar to Hillary, and she is not someone with whom I'd like to share a glass of wine.

That says it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 09:45 PM
 
18,157 posts, read 11,139,458 times
Reputation: 9483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
He could win if he is is running against Harvey Weinstein....maybe.

Lol. What was that thing we kept hearing during the campaign? Give him a chance--we don't know how he will govern.

So now they know who he is and how he governs. He is a crude tyrant of low intellect who acts without thinking at all--simply reactionary immature behavior.

As GW said..."Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me.....you can't get fooled again." Truest words ever spoken by George Bush (other than his post-inaugural speech comment 'that was some weird ****').
To be clear: I will vote for anyone that is not Trump. I will never ever ever vote for Trump. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top