U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 11:28 AM

4,915 posts, read 1,364,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
He'll probably win as long as he promises to "bring back dem jobs"
"I'll bring back coal mining jobs to our fair state! Only 10% chance of being blown up!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 11:29 AM

79,240 posts, read 33,633,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
He'll probably win as long as he promises to "bring back dem jobs"
They all do that, including Joe Manchin. There is a politician that runs on "ending jobs"?

Old 04-18-2018, 12:44 PM

4,240 posts, read 2,514,792 times
“Wasn’t he convicted of a crime?” Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn of Texas said in an interview Tuesday. “That sort of background doesn’t lend itself to public office, in my view. Being convicted of a crime is a real liability.”

Wasn't Gianforte welcomed with open arms into the GOP? Or do GOP Senators somehow have a higher standard?

Old 04-18-2018, 12:57 PM

32,503 posts, read 16,644,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
See Big Branch. 29 miners were killed in a preventable explosion there.
I put that badly. I know the barebones facts, but the idea that the buck was passed so far up, and the penalties so relatively heavy - it must have been egregious.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I put that badly. I know the barebones facts, but the idea that the buck was passed so far up, and the penalties so relatively heavy - it must have been egregious.
It's a rare example of where the system partially worked. Out of his own lawyers mouth.

“The worst that can be said is that Mr. Blankenship knew about the violations and, in the government’s view, that he didn’t do enough to prevent them,” said Mr. Taylor, who had sought a sentence of a fine and probation. “The one thing you cannot conclude is that Don Blankenship was not interested in, and didn’t care about, the safety of his miners.”

He knew about the violations and did nothing. 29 men died because of it. He should still be in prison.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:16 PM

19,031 posts, read 15,492,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There are 6 running, a couple very good candidates, a couple with no chance and the rest are what they are. I would not call it a hoot but it may get very interesting. Of course the primaries are just about here, so the contest will not go on for long.
Which category would you put Blakenship into?

Old 04-18-2018, 01:30 PM

19,766 posts, read 14,711,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post

Polluted water for thee, clean water for me. Isn't that the Republican way?

The GOP sure does seem to attract "the best people," at least if you go by our president's definition of the term.
The great creator of the EPA, Richard Nixon, would be rolling in his grave right now

Old 04-18-2018, 01:59 PM

9,628 posts, read 5,950,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It doesn't matter. The (D)'s foolishly elected him.

There was a primary. The (D)'s foolishly elected him.
The R also elected him. What is your ridiculous point? Both R and D elected Justice but we should only blame the D??

And when did conservatives start having issues with politicians who don't pay taxes and cheat contractors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
LOL, I didn't vote for either as indeed both were incredibly corrupt. I voted for my friend David Moran.
Of course they are corrupt, they are Republicans.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The R also elected him. What is your ridiculous point? Both R and D elected Justice but we should only blame the D??

And when did conservatives start having issues with politicians who don't pay taxes and cheat contractors?
LOL......it always comes down to this. There is NO defending Justice or the (D)'s that elected him. I am not a Conservative so I do not have to answer for them.

I will vote for Jenkins in the primary to try and keep Blankenship out BUT I'll vote for Joe Manchin come November. (Being registered as an (I) means I can vote in either primary.

Quote:
Of course they are corrupt, they are Republicans.

This inability to blame the (D)'s for anything, even when it is rightly deserved is why Trump is president.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:55 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,747,558 times
Blankenship has it all bass-ackwards. You run for office first, get elected, and THEN you get convicted of a crime. He just doesn't understand the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or