Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Trump be primaried in 2020?
I support Trump and don't think he will be primaried 18 25.00%
I support Trump and think he will be primaried 12 16.67%
I do not support Trump and don't think he will be primaried 12 16.67%
I do not support Trump and think he will be primaried 25 34.72%
Other 5 6.94%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 05:43 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arresmillao View Post
If trump has a tiny bit of intelligence, he will not run, number don't lie, he won a super tight electoral college, while losing popular vote by 2 million, if he runs again, he can not count with the 12 % bernie supporters that voted for him due to disgust with hillary, nor with the vast majority of independents that voted for him, he has destroyed whatever was left of our faith in the institutions, and he is not done yet, if he runs, he would lose by at least 12 million votes...
Trump won 33 states. He slaughtered Hillary. There's no dem that can beat him not even Biden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 05:53 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
I don't think he'll make it to 2020. The crimes this fat greedy pig of a man and his greedy self-entitled family are going to be taken down. The bigger and louder they come, the harder they fall. Bribery, fraud, constitutional violations, nepotism. He'll be like Papa Doc taking a runner. The guy is a crook. He's always been a crook and he'll always be a crook. He's also a rude pig of a human being. He should be nominated for the Nobel Sleaze Prize.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Assuming he's still in office to run for reelection in 2020 (which might not happen for any number of reasons, not all of which have anything to do with Mueller's investigation), will Trump face a primary challenge from within his own party?

It's unusual but not unheard of for an incumbent president to be challenged. In the modern era, no incumbent has lost a primary but a couple came close - Ford vs Reagan in 1976 and then Carter vs. Kennedy in 1980. And a lot of people think Johnson withdrew in 1968 because he thought he might lose the primary.

It would be an interesting exercise to see how many people support Trump personally vs. how many support him solely because he was the GOP candidate.
Isn't unusual and will most likely happen. I don't know what difference it really makes as it would be very unlikely he would not remain the candidate if that is what he wants.

Now, as for your comments about his perhaps not being a candidate, that is pretty unlikely at this stage, but we all know what Trump often does is unlikely. I seriously doubt anyone or anything can stop him from running if he chooses to, but his age along could play a factor. He might decide he has had enough of the political game and bow out.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:27 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arresmillao View Post
If trump has a tiny bit of intelligence, he will not run, number don't lie, he won a super tight electoral college, while losing popular vote by 2 million, if he runs again, he can not count with the 12 % bernie supporters that voted for him due to disgust with hillary, nor with the vast majority of independents that voted for him, he has destroyed whatever was left of our faith in the institutions, and he is not done yet, if he runs, he would lose by at least 12 million votes...
You are pretty much using the same argument I would... but he's the incumbent and that might go a long way.

Look at this way - for many people, after only 1.5 years - his shenanigans are simply becoming background noise and all the scandals are simply becoming daily news. It is the new norm. If the economy keeps humming along, a lot of people will opt for the new status quo. While some of those bernie supporters you talk about might defect from Trump, it may not be as many as you think.

His approval numbers are creeping up. The economy appears to be in good shape. He hasn't started nuclear war. If this was a blind vote and people didn't know who was actually in office, many more than you think will support the current administration. And that's mainly because all his nonsense is becoming the norm.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:36 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Isn't unusual and will most likely happen. I don't know what difference it really makes as it would be very unlikely he would not remain the candidate if that is what he wants.

Now, as for your comments about his perhaps not being a candidate, that is pretty unlikely at this stage, but we all know what Trump often does is unlikely. I seriously doubt anyone or anything can stop him from running if he chooses to, but his age along could play a factor. He might decide he has had enough of the political game and bow out.
Yes, he could decide not to run again and bow out because he's not enjoying the job, feels he's done what he wanted, wants to return to the private sector. He could suffer from serious illness - I'm not wishing that on him but it is not an unrealistic possibility at his age and what we know about his poor diet and lack of physical activity.

And of course, there also is a possibility he could be facing impeachment or criminal charges or whatever. No one can say for sure at this point.

But as I noted, there have been a couple of times where a sitting incumbent President was challenged by a member of his own party. It's happened in the past and I asked the question of whether it might happen this time. It's not specific to Trump as if he were the only person that this could possibly happen to. He's the current president and he's historically unpopular so it's not out of the question that someone could think he'd be vulnerable enough to challenge.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:59 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Not only will he win the primary but most likely he will win another term. People are really getting tired of the never ending assault on Trump from the Democrats right now and if it doesn't stop, it will rally the voters behind him once again. Unless there is a Democrat with some normalcy hiding in the shadows that runs, they will have another nut case and won't have a very good chance. I can't think of a single Democrat off the top of my head that would have a chance at this time. Of course, we are talking about politics and it can turn on a dime overnight though.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:48 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Not only will he win the primary but most likely he will win another term. People are really getting tired of the never ending assault on Trump from the Democrats right now and if it doesn't stop, it will rally the voters behind him once again. Unless there is a Democrat with some normalcy hiding in the shadows that runs, they will have another nut case and won't have a very good chance. I can't think of a single Democrat off the top of my head that would have a chance at this time. Of course, we are talking about politics and it can turn on a dime overnight though.
What assault on Trump? He is the cause of all the criticism that he undoubtedly deserves.Republicans know he can't win another election and will support another candidate. Many Republicans are sick of this debacle in the White House and will become activists to support an opposition candidate. Watch for Republican women and minorities to lead the charge. BTW, I'm a white male Republican.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:17 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Remember, the GOP efforts to impeach Clinton generally blew up in their faces. It helped lose the election for Bob Dole in 1996.
Bill Clinton was impeached but not convicted.

The reason he wasn't convicted was because the Democrats in Congress put their own party over the law.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:26 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Bill Clinton was impeached but not convicted.

The reason he wasn't convicted was because the Democrats in Congress put their own party over the law.
Or they recognized a true witch hunt when they saw it - being impeached about lying about something he never should have been asked about in the first place. A sexual affair that hadn't even occurred when the special investigator was appointed. The Republicans love to complain that Mueller has had a whole year and time to pull the plug. Clinton hadn't even met Lewinsky a year into the Whitewater investigation which was supposed to be about a failed land deal.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:38 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
What assault on Trump? He is the cause of all the criticism that he undoubtedly deserves.Republicans know he can't win another election and will support another candidate. Many Republicans are sick of this debacle in the White House and will become activists to support an opposition candidate. Watch for Republican women and minorities to lead the charge. BTW, I'm a white male Republican.
Keep an eye on Nikki Haley. Avid Trump supporters would want nothing to do with her, but she might be able to draw from other segments of voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections