Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 08:15 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

https://www.nationalreview.com/magaz...date-missouri/

Good article about this guy in National Review this week. He is currently the attorney general in MO, and will be the GOP candidate for US Senate against Claire McCaskill.

He is 38 years old, a Stanford grad and Yale law school grad. His mentor at Stanford was Prof David M. Kennedy, a left-of-center guy and Stanford icon, who said that Hawley was "among the half dozen most capable undergraduates I've taught." He was president of the Yale branch of the Federalist Society.

After law school, he clerked for Chief Justice John Roberts. He met his wife then; she was also clerking for Roberts (two for the price of one? OK maybe not after Bill and Hill). Unlike President Trump, who has said that he's never read a biography of a US president, Josh Hawley has written one. In 2008 he published Theodore Roosevelt: Preacher of Righteousness, an 'intellectual biography" of TR. After working at a white shoe law firm, he left to work at the 'Becket Fund for Religious Liberty,' where he helped win an important religious rights case.

NR describes him as a 'conventional conservative.' He is pro-gun-rights, pro-life, anti-regulation, and supported the Trump tax cuts. He supports free trade, and says that NAFTA has been good for Missouri farmers. Sounds like another young rising star for the GOP. Where are all the Democratic young rising stars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 09:08 PM

RCP avg has McCaskill (incumbent) up 1.7, so they rate the race as a 'toss up.'

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...kill-6280.html

Old 05-10-2018, 09:34 AM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:
Josh Hawley (D, MO)
I think you meant Josh Hawley (R, MO)

Quote:
Where are all the Democratic young rising stars?
I am pretty sure there are plenty of them.

That said, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting a bit tired of these young people who decide to go into politics the moment they graduate from law school, and basically have never had a real job, living a normal existence, in their adult life.

Granted, sometimes people like that do turn out to be good politicians, but I would still rather they spent at least some of their adult life living outside of the bubble that is politics.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I think you meant Josh Hawley (R, MO)

I am pretty sure there are plenty of them.

That said, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting a bit tired of these young people who decide to go into politics the moment they graduate from law school, and basically have never had a real job, living a normal existence, in their adult life.

Granted, sometimes people like that do turn out to be good politicians, but I would still rather they spent at least some of their adult life living outside of the bubble that is politics.
He has worked as a school teacher, college prof, at a regular law firm, and at a public interest law firm. Some are just on the fast track, and he is one. That is exactly the kind of person I want in Congress.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:53 PM

And yes, it is (R, MO)--my bad.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:23 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
He certainly doesn't sound like a good fit for today's GOP, i,e what they would call a RINO. Jeff Flake is pretty much the same - conventional conservative - and he is being run out on a rail. Maybe Missouri Republicans are not as far out there in right field and they are in Arizona. I'll bet he won't "fire up the base" in MO and will probably lose.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:50 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
He has worked as a school teacher, college prof, at a regular law firm, and at a public interest law firm. Some are just on the fast track, and he is one. That is exactly the kind of person I want in Congress.
Meh, I don't consider a few years at a law firm to be much in the way of everyday experience. I suppose it makes some sense that the people who write laws would have some training in law, but on the other hand, people like that don't really have to "experience" the everyday effects of the laws they're writing as much as, say, somebody who worked in a payroll dept for 5 years. Or somebody who was a doctor for 7 years. Or somebody who managed a factory for several years. Stuff like that. People like that actually get to see the effects of laws "on the ground" in their everyday jobs and probably have a better grasp at why things do and don't work than your average lawyer, whose approach to laws is going to be from a more ... I dunno, "academic" p.o.v.

Anyway, not a big deal. I have no strong opinions about Hawley, I think I would just be more comfortable if he was, say, at least 5, and maybe even 10, years older, especially running for US Senate.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:57 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post

It is likely that many voters in this week's Republican Senate primary in Indiana had such sentiments as well. They chose a nominee who had significant business experience over a couple of congressmen who were pretty much generic conservative Republicans that emphasized their adoration of the president, and had nothing significant to discuss outside of political issues.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:21 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Sounds like another young rising star for the GOP. Where are all the Democratic young rising stars?
It takes like 10 seconds to Google

" State wide elected officials " and see there are about 20 statewide elected officials 40 or under.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:48 PM

331 posts, read 207,709 times
Quote:
https://www.nationalreview.com/magaz...date-missouri/

Good article about this guy in National Review this week. He is currently the attorney general in MO, and will be the GOP candidate for US Senate against Claire McCaskill.

He is 38 years old, a Stanford grad and Yale law school grad. His mentor at Stanford was Prof David M. Kennedy, a left-of-center guy and Stanford icon, who said that Hawley was "among the half dozen most capable undergraduates I've taught." He was president of the Yale branch of the Federalist Society.

After law school, he clerked for Chief Justice John Roberts. He met his wife then; she was also clerking for Roberts (two for the price of one? OK maybe not after Bill and Hill). Unlike President Trump, who has said that he's never read a biography of a US president, Josh Hawley has written one. In 2008 he published Theodore Roosevelt: Preacher of Righteousness, an 'intellectual biography" of TR. After working at a white shoe law firm, he left to work at the 'Becket Fund for Religious Liberty,' where he helped win an important religious rights case.

NR describes him as a 'conventional conservative.' He is pro-gun-rights, pro-life, anti-regulation, and supported the Trump tax cuts. He supports free trade, and says that NAFTA has been good for Missouri farmers. Sounds like another young rising star for the GOP. Where are all the Democratic young rising stars?
Is the guy who works for the politician that took nudes of his mistress and threatened to black mail her if she told his wife?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections