U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2018, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,677 posts, read 6,736,892 times
Reputation: 5714

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Liberals are always in denial of facts and reality. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it not true. Way to show your true bigoted, intolerant liberal colors though.
Anywhere that gets brutally cold, snowy winters is automatically disqualified from having good QOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2018, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,219 posts, read 11,476,545 times
Reputation: 4301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Liberals are always in denial of facts and reality. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it not true. Way to show your true bigoted, intolerant liberal colors though.
This is actually true of both sides degrading each of other but I doubt you would ever say anything to conservatives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2018, 09:36 PM
 
244 posts, read 87,801 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The system is already being manipulated. Wyoming voters have almost four times the voting power of California voters. And nothing is more motivating to the GOP than gerrymandering districts.

Right now, the GOP has far far far more representation through gerrymandering than actual voter representation. A GOP designed district will draw a line around every urban or minority voter in order to reduce them to a single district and will create a dozen rural districts to overrepresent the GOP. That's what happened with the 2010 elections and we've been living the result ever since.
I live in CT, one of the smallest states in the USA. The GOP gets far more representation in the senate too. CT has more people than Alaska, South Dakota and Wyoming combined. Senators who get to choose Supreme Court lifetime appointments. Howís that fair? I know the house is based on population, but come on!

I am not sure how many more popular votes can be lost while it still being ďfairĒ. If more people are voting for another candidate and the candidate who loses wins, thatís not fair.

But...not sure how I feel about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2018, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Home, Home on the Front Range
22,708 posts, read 16,180,953 times
Reputation: 12705
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
1. DCCC and DNC are separate( but technically equal) entities

2. As far as I can tell, there wasn't a single primary upset Tuesday, meaning the candidates who won were backed by the DCCC and or DNC regardless of being pro or anti Pelosi

3. Both entities along with their Republican counterparts have always backed candidates in primaries .

If you don't like that, I get it. I mean I disagree , but I get it. My problem comes with some of you acting like this is cheating , or that the Republicans don't do it , or that the candidates don't have their own opinions . You are wrong on all accounts .
So you actually believe that the national organizations should pick local candidates and that choices should not be left to those who live in the districts because, what, people donít know whatís good for them?

We should just let those organizations push viable candidates out of races because they donít tow the party line?

My problem comes with some of you acting like constituents donít have their own opinions and acting like voters should just be thankful for the opportunity to vote for whatever stooges the party deems worthy.

There are no representatives from the DCCC (for example) going door-to-door talking to voters about their wants and needs.
They make these decisions and pronouncements from on high and everyone is just supposed to go along.
Youíd think that, after the debacle that was the 2016 election that they would at least try to listen and learn but they seem determined to pursue the same narrow path.

Well, donít be surprised if the results end up the same.
I sure wonít.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2018, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
621 posts, read 213,447 times
Reputation: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Prezidont Cheeto Bonespurs was elected by the Electoral College.....actual votes will matter in the fall elections or did you forget that Hillary had 3 Million more votes?

It's a numbers game .


Oh, so he won by what it says in The Constitution and not by what 3,000,000 in one small radius of the country want? I think you forgot we are The United States of AMERICA not The United States of CALIFORNIA. Hate to burst your bubble. Maybe a Civics class would do you good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2018, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
18,977 posts, read 15,430,064 times
Reputation: 3946
Just one thing to point out, the average of the Congressional Ballot is a 6.1 Democratic advantage. While on the lower end of it, still in the same range it has been for the past two months (Dems 5.5-8.0). It is however down a bit from January where it was briefly around Democrats +13.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2018, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,219 posts, read 11,476,545 times
Reputation: 4301
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So you actually believe that the national organizations should pick local candidates and that choices should not be left to those who live in the districts because, what, people don’t know what’s good for them?

We should just let those organizations push viable candidates out of races because they don’t tow the party line?

My problem comes with some of you acting like constituents don’t have their own opinions and acting like voters should just be thankful for the opportunity to vote for whatever stooges the party deems worthy.

There are no representatives from the DCCC (for example) going door-to-door talking to voters about their wants and needs.
They make these decisions and pronouncements from on high and everyone is just supposed to go along.
You’d think that, after the debacle that was the 2016 election that they would at least try to listen and learn but they seem determined to pursue the same narrow path.

Well, don’t be surprised if the results end up the same.
I sure won’t.
1.My problem with your post is that you are basically saying you are ok with some national organizations but not others .and I say this because there isn't a single contested Dem primary where the non conventional candidate isn't also backed by one of the national organizations

You can't say the DCCC shouldn't be involved, but then because with the "Our Revolution" backing a candidate.

If you are saying both sides should back away, let the primary play out and then back them winner, then cool, but if you just want the DCCC to back out, then you are being a hypocrite

2. The DCCC actually does go in locally, conduct candidate interviews, taps the grassroots network and so on to pick candidates, they don't do it from far away as you claim.

Further more, your claim was that DCCC backed candidates didn't have the ability to voice their opinions on Pelosi, or that they all backed her, that just isn't true

Last edited by dsjj251; 05-13-2018 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2018, 02:44 PM
 
4,084 posts, read 1,981,910 times
Reputation: 2358
Pence 2024. Count on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2018, 03:00 PM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,674 posts, read 2,207,830 times
Reputation: 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Pence 2024. Count on it.
Easy game to play

Anyone except Pence 2024. Count on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Lake Norman Area
1,472 posts, read 3,660,377 times
Reputation: 1233
The generic ballot, based on constant and overwhelming negative media attention of Trump and Republicans in general, should be in the double digits. So, yeah, this should concern Democrats. I was interested in the West Virginia polling, and the media hype that Blankenship was going to be the Republican nominee and he was surging to the lead, when in fact he finished last place. I think the national media would have loved to report all the negatives on a Blankenship nomination and actually seemed to want it so much that they (media) lied to themselves.

I would expect Democrats to do well in 2018, but if they do not flip the House, then it will be a major defeat and would spell serious trouble for 2020. Does anyone disagree?

I do not put much faith in any special elections over the past year, because no way is every race in the House going to get the national attention, media frenzy, or money dumps that the laser focused special elections have had.

The Senate, is just out of play for Democrats to control. No matter your political party, this is a perfect map for Republicans, it just is, and apparently could not come at a better time if 2018 is a bad year for Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:38 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top