Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 07:30 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times

Advertisements

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...aker-of-house/

I heard Rep. Jordan (R, OH) say today that if Republicans hold the House, he plans to run for speaker. He seems to be a died-in-the-wool conservative. I don't know a lot about him, but he was one of the real heroes of the IRS follies under Lois Lerner, according to Kim Strassel's book The Intimidation Game. Just from what I read there, I'm impressed.

I think the Speaker and Senate leader are incredibly critical--maybe even more so than prez. Going back to Newt Gingrich, the GOP has had problems with speakers. Remember the big blowup between Newt and House conservatives, including Steve Largent, when Newt decided to go with the old bulls' wishes to emulate Dems and go for pork spending. Then after 2000 with Dennis Hastert, things got even worse. I see the first year of Trump-McConnell-Ryan as a repeat of Bush-Lott-Hastert. Lots of spending, little legislative accomplishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 08:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...aker-of-house/

I heard Rep. Jordan (R, OH) say today that if Republicans hold the House, he plans to run for speaker. He seems to be a died-in-the-wool conservative. I don't know a lot about him, but he was one of the real heroes of the IRS follies under Lois Lerner, according to Kim Strassel's book The Intimidation Game. Just from what I read there, I'm impressed.
They did nothing. How does that make you a hero?

Old 05-09-2018, 09:00 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
Jordan has been in the forefront of the FISA warrant abuse investigation. I had never heard of him before that and now look forward to his signature jacketless appearances on Fox. But I thought Kevin McCarthy was the golden boy for Speaker. Trump endorsed him.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They did nothing. How does that make you a hero?
Jordan (and others) sent a letter to the DOJ outlining a criminal case against Lois Lerner. Of course the Obama admin just sat on that. But then when Jeff Sessions came along last year, he also declined to go after Lerner.

Jordan was instrumental in at least getting the info out to those who cared about the politicization of the IRS. The fact that he was stonewalled by the executive branch doesn't make him less of a hero.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Jordan has been in the forefront of the FISA warrant abuse investigation. I had never heard of him before that and now look forward to his signature jacketless appearances on Fox. But I thought Kevin McCarthy was the golden boy for Speaker. Trump endorsed him.
McCarthy is the choice of Paul Ryan. I would prefer Jordan.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Jordan (and others) sent a letter to the DOJ outlining a criminal case against Lois Lerner. Of course the Obama admin just sat on that. But then when Jeff Sessions came along last year, he also declined to go after Lerner.

Jordan was instrumental in at least getting the info out to those who cared about the politicization of the IRS. The fact that he was stonewalled by the executive branch doesn't make him less of a hero.
Spending millions to accomplish nothing does not make you a hero.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Spending millions to accomplish nothing does not make you a hero.
Well he did try. Justice can be expensive, but consider the alternative. I suppose we just have different definitions of hero. Yours comports w/ President Trump, who thought that John McCain shouldn't be considered a hero because he got shot down; i.e. he failed.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Well he did try. Justice can be expensive, but consider the alternative.
The alternative was that we spend nothing and do nothing. There was no justice done.

Quote:
I suppose we just have different definitions of hero. Yours comports w/ President Trump, who thought that John McCain shouldn't be considered a hero because he got shot down; i.e. he failed.
I have never said that. I said Trump was a jerk for going there.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:30 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,073 times
Justin Amash or Thomas Massie.

No one but those two.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:44 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:

Your definition of hero has to do with your beliefs that he is right rather than any universally accepted action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections