Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 05:57 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times

Advertisements

A short story from ABC. This will be an interesting trend to watch this election cycle.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/note...ry?id=55494742
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 06:48 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
I agree that this will be worth watching, and also will be a dilemma for GOP candidates in swing districts.

Last year we had an election to replace a GOP state senator who had died. The district used to be more conservative but now is dominated by young techies who lean left. The GOP candidate ran as a non-Trump supporter(said she hadn't voted for him). She ran a good campaign, and the Dem opponent was not great, but she still lost 55-45.

Unless there is a major economic downturn before Nov, my guess would be that most GOP candidates will be better off to run as Trump supporters than not.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:49 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Given the support for Trump among Republicans I think you are right.

Most of us have watched politics long enough to see this played out on both sides; we have had presidents who can help with their presence and presidents who should stay out. For right now in most GOP races, President Trump will help. Tennessee was a great example. Don't know if he can get Blackburn elected or not, but I do believe it will help.
Her Democratic opponent does not have anyone like Trump to call on. '04, '08, '12 & '16 Republicans took nearly 60% of the vote.
https://www.270towin.com/states/Tennessee

Old 06-01-2018, 02:51 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
There’s a reason a record number of Republicans are retiring this year.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:08 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
I think Trump would be a help in the Senate races since those are mostly on home turf for Rs. Indiana, Montana, and North Dakota are all solid R states with Democratic Senators up for election. I think Missouri is the Mendoza line. Florida is Florida- he underperformed the typical winner in that state.

But I think he poses a problem in the House races which are going to be decided in suburbs and exurbs that are more neutral or moderate Republican bastions that are not as favorable to Trump.

I also think Republicans accept reality better than Dems. So many Ds tried to run away from Obama in 2010 and particularly 2014. They didn't convince a single R or moderate to vote for them and they basically turned off Obama's core supporters. I think the Rs realize you need to motivate someone and are casting their lot with Trumps base which has stayed engaged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections