U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 03:44 PM

2,276 posts, read 843,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Stuff like this is not going to sell me on Kemp. Yes, I am against illegally coming here. However, I'm not for the way this man is putting it. It is like he is saying "we should all be scared of Mexico/Latin America". It's yellow journalism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism

I live in Georgia, so I have to live with this stuff. I don't like it at all. I'm not pro-illegal at all. However, this is basically a subtle version of race baiting. And there is something else I don't like. I don't like that hyper-aggressive "good old boy" persona Kemp is trying to put on. There is being a man, and then there are Kemp's ads. I've never seen anything like it. He tries to portray himself as scary. Specifically, I'm talking about the commercial where he's pointing a gun at his daughter's date.
Those ads work because many conservatives are looking for a daddy figure to save them from the various boogeymen they are so paranoid about. The faux tough guy that will use his hillbilly know how to save the world is an enduring GOP trope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 06:14 PM

2,067 posts, read 657,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
Or the one where he's sitting in a old F150 talking about how he uses his pickup to round up illegals himself. He's gross.
Get it right, it's an F-350. An F-150 ain't big enough to round up all them illegals!

Old 05-21-2018, 10:08 PM

5,393 posts, read 3,276,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
And there's also all the people who say "it's not about Hispanic or any race, it's about illegal immigrants", and then you watch the video of the candidate with the bus that clearly says "straight back to Mexico".
At least the candidate wants to follow immigration laws. Unlike those in California who wants to give free reign to illegals and protect them from prosecution or deportation.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:37 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 8 days ago)

47,706 posts, read 45,328,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Can you show that quote? I've never gotten that impression. The impression I get is that he is against illegal immigration, but has no problem with legal immigration. Since that is basically the same way I feel about it, I haven't blown a head gasket over what he has said or done. The proof is in the pudding. If he has SS troops at the borders preventing all immigrants from entering (both legal and illegal), then I'll be concerned. However, if he is attempting to keep illegal immigrants out, I don't see a problem there. If I tried to run the border in many countries, I'd be shot on the spot or at the very least jailed in a hellhole and be used as a prison *****. What makes you think we should just welcome anyone to waltz across our borders?
Well, the bus says on the back "Follow Me To Mexico". What do you expect me to think?

BTW, go read the rest of my posts.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:43 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Those ads work because many conservatives are looking for a daddy figure to save them from the various boogeymen they are so paranoid about. The faux tough guy that will use his hillbilly know how to save the world is an enduring GOP trope.
Well, I will tell you this. Those ads don't work on me. It doesn't make me want to vote for him. I like guns. My father is a gun owner. He doesn't go around acting like some tough guy. I like guns, I am alright with illegals being deported. I don't feel it's necessary to go all "good old boy" in a political ad. To me, it is more than just the persona. It is the message behind it. The faux tough guy thing, I'm thinking it goes over well with some of my neighbors.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:46 PM

5,828 posts, read 2,711,688 times
Default and Georgia is expecting to have AMAZON move there????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCvt...ature=youtu.be

Doesn't Georgia have bigger issues than a "Mexican" picking fruit?

Old 05-21-2018, 11:57 PM

4,773 posts, read 2,180,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
At least the candidate wants to follow immigration laws. Unlike those in California who wants to give free reign to illegals and protect them from prosecution or deportation.
Give them an inch and they take a mile. One day it's 'we should leave the law-abiding ones alone, we shouldn't spend local tax dollars on ICE raids' and the next day you're totally overrun, paying for them cradle to the grave.

These ads are so over-the-top they're cracking me up. Perhaps Libby Schaaf would like to lay down in front of the deportation bus like the student with the tank in Tianamen Square.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCvt...ature=youtu.be

Doesn't Georgia have bigger issues than a "Mexican" picking fruit?
We have legal immigration for fruit picking. And I'd say drug trafficking and human trafficking, often done by illegals, IS a bigger issue.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
We have legal immigration for fruit picking. And I'd say drug trafficking and human trafficking, often done by illegals, IS a bigger issue.
And the human trafficking can come from anywhere. Humans have been trafficked on container ships into several ports.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And the human trafficking can come from anywhere. Humans have been trafficked on container ships into several ports.
Yes it can, but do you think human smugglers are more likely to come from a country on our border than a country on the other side of the world? Do you actually think there's an equal chance of traffickers from Egypt or Australia living in Georgia than those from Mexico?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or