U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2018, 10:57 AM
 
36,936 posts, read 16,117,008 times
Reputation: 8403

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
2010 we were still coming out of the recession and the economy was not improving as much as many had hoped which certainly hurt Obama especially in rural areas which were already trending Republican. His #'s weren't good, but certainly not the worst we have seen heading into a midterm.

You also had strong Democratic House gains in both 2006 (31) and 2008 (21). Anytime there is a wave election the most vulnerable seats are going to be the swing seats and the seats that lean but are not solid in one direction. Due to the gains they had in 2006 and 2008 most of the seats that could be vulnerable to a swing were held by Democrats, many of the seats the GOP picked up in 2010 were seats they previously held, but lost in 2006 or 2008


FWIW I tend to think it will be a 2006 type of swing for the Democrats (30 or so seats in the House), the Senate is much tougher due to the seats that are up this cycle.
" the recession and the economy was not improving as much as many had hoped"

And Obama said if he couldn't fix it in his 1st term, he didn't deserve a 2nd term.

He DIDN'T come though BUT, he ran anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2018, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Sandy Springs)
5,172 posts, read 2,825,107 times
Reputation: 3920
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What did your polls do for you in 2016?
They correctly predicted the popular vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2018, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
621 posts, read 216,623 times
Reputation: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
They correctly predicted the popular vote.


But, as we all know, it holds no relevance in elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2018, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Lone Mountain Las Vegas NV
12,889 posts, read 4,876,646 times
Reputation: 5718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
But, as we all know, it holds no relevance in elections.
Of course it does. Trump was elected by minuscule margins in a couple of states. The polling correctly read the will of the people...the EC thwarted that will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2018, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,420 posts, read 11,733,702 times
Reputation: 10817
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
They correctly predicted the popular vote.

Did you look at the projections for who would win?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2018, 04:38 AM
 
36,936 posts, read 16,117,008 times
Reputation: 8403
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
They correctly predicted the popular vote.

So, when is her inauguration?


Your statement is like " the basketball team scored 100 points but didn't get the Super Bowl trophy"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2018, 05:20 AM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
621 posts, read 216,623 times
Reputation: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Of course it does. Trump was elected by minuscule margins in a couple of states. The polling correctly read the will of the people...the EC thwarted that will.
The will of the people of the state of California. https://www.investors.com/politics/c...om-california/



That is precisely why we have The Electoral College. A candidate has to appeal to the whole nation, not just California. If you read the article, without CA, Clinton loses the popular vote by 2 million votes. Every state has a say in our election, not just L.A. We never have elected by popular vote, per The 12th Amendment, but The Left doesn't believe in The Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2018, 05:21 AM
 
36,936 posts, read 16,117,008 times
Reputation: 8403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
The will of the people of the state of California. https://www.investors.com/politics/c...om-california/



That is precisely why we have The Electoral College. A candidate has to appeal to the whole nation, not just California. If you read the article, without CA, Clinton loses the popular vote by 2 million votes. Every state has a say in our election, not just L.A. We never have elected by popular vote, per The 12th Amendment, but The Left doesn't believe in The Constitution.

And the over 30% of people in Ca. who voted FOR Trump had their votes thrown out. Which is why states should get rid of "winner take all" electoral votes.


"but The Left doesn't believe in The Constitution."


They DO ONLY when it what THEY want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2018, 06:15 PM
 
7,028 posts, read 6,996,426 times
Reputation: 5857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
And the over 30% of people in Ca. who voted FOR Trump had their votes thrown out. Which is why states should get rid of "winner take all" electoral votes.


"but The Left doesn't believe in The Constitution."


They DO ONLY when it what THEY want!
WHERE do you get this stuff? I bet from “Faux” News.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top