Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 01:50 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times

Advertisements

Are we becoming a theatrocacy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 03:29 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Interesting that both were Democrats that changed to Republican.
They knew Democrats were too smart to vote for them in the primaries.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:18 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I recently came across a story I found quite interesting. Apparently Dwayne Johnson aka "The Rock" has hinted that he is considering possibly running for president. Now, I don't know much about the man's politics or what direction he would want to take our country in if he were indeed elected. But what I do know about the man is pretty much all positive. He has always struck me as a thoroughly decent human being who knows how to have fun and doesn't take himself too seriously. Of course, none of those attributes would be the deciding factor for me when it comes to choosing who I might vote for. But, it is a good start. Likability is always a good thing, and I think Mr. Johnson already has that pretty well nailed down. So my question is, if his ideas for our country were in alignment with your own, would you cast a vote for Dwayne Johnson? Because I believe I would.

***I apologize if this has been discussed before. I didn't see a similar thread but I could have missed it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/19/the-...president.html

Only if he finally tells us what he was "cooking."

Old 06-01-2018, 10:27 AM

10,726 posts, read 4,334,730 times
Dwayne Johnson is too chicken to run for office, as 99.9% of Hollywood is.
Also you can tell he's just another sheep, scared to offend people, no leadership qualities whatsoever.
Hollywood people only care about themselves, and will be scared of losing half the population's approval.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:45 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
We now have had two Presidents who came out of the entertainment industry: Reagan and Trump.

There is no doubt in my mind that the country would elect a Rock as president. Trump's election crystallized the notion that experience, criminal conduct, sexual allegations, intelligence and character are no bar to becoming president. I might add that alcoholism and drug abuse are also no bar given the election of W, another family values Republican.

I remember in 1976, I was talking to some woman who said if Elvis ran for President he would win. I told her she was nuts.

I admit now I was wrong.

Elvis would have won in a landslide.
I was born in 1976 so this just a hunch, but I think people still had enough political sense back then to not elect Elvis. Now in 2020? You bet.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:04 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Has he ever run anything? if not, no. It's the same reason why I won't vote for most of the lawyers on Capitol Hill.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:20 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
That survey is worthless since it has Obama at #12 instead of near the bottom.

As to Johnson, give me a break. You need to have accomplished something, and merely being an actor and a friendly guy hardly qualifies.
Obama wasn't near the bottom, that is your right wing partisanship speaking. In objective reality, Obama is probably in the upper end of the middle (probably between 15-22)

Old 06-02-2018, 11:11 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
If he promised to stop making so many stupid movies, I'd consider voting for him

Old 06-03-2018, 05:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I recently came across a story I found quite interesting. Apparently Dwayne Johnson aka "The Rock" has hinted that he is considering possibly running for president. Now, I don't know much about the man's politics or what direction he would want to take our country in if he were indeed elected. But what I do know about the man is pretty much all positive. He has always struck me as a thoroughly decent human being who knows how to have fun and doesn't take himself too seriously. Of course, none of those attributes would be the deciding factor for me when it comes to choosing who I might vote for. But, it is a good start. Likability is always a good thing, and I think Mr. Johnson already has that pretty well nailed down. So my question is, if his ideas for our country were in alignment with your own, would you cast a vote for Dwayne Johnson? Because I believe I would.

***I apologize if this has been discussed before. I didn't see a similar thread but I could have missed it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/19/the-...president.html
It would depend on who the other choices were and "the Rocks" overall view on issues that concern me.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Absolutely not. No more celebrity politicians. I don't care if they are right, left, or in the middle, no celebrities. Acting is not an occupation that prepares someone to lead a nation with a complex economy and legal system.
so you would not support Ophra either, right and Reagan was a crappy president, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections